Favela Painting

Urban renewal has always been one of my favorite kinds of design, there’s just something about taking something that needs some love and giving it the proper attention and care to make it shine again. The Favela Painting project is a perfect example of such an endeavor. Started by Dutch designers Jeroen Koolhas and Dre Urhahn they created a community based art intervention in Vila Cruzeiro, Brazil, a place that’s definitely in need of some love. They ultimately painted an entire hillside of homes with amazingly bright colors, bringing life and wonder to the once drab neighborhood.

It’s kind of rad how something as simple as painting a bunch of houses can change the feeling of a place. I sincerely hope this helps bring the neighborhood together and makes the the people happier. I feel like if I lived there I would be pretty excited to come home after a long day of work.

Found through ArchDaily

9 Comments Favela Painting

1. Adam M. June 9, 2010 at 2:46 PM

I can’t help but think of the Simpson’s episode in Brazil with the multicolored rat-stampede. Very lovely, and no doubt of the mood-lifting spirit, but I wonder how much of the bright colors are for the tourists’ sake?

2. SKoT June 9, 2010 at 3:21 PM

Nice Reporting, that is a really cool project. Bring Color to the World down-under!!
    No, not Aussi, they way colorful enuf!! Keep up the rad work!

3. José Luis June 9, 2010 at 3:38 PM

I share the question made by Adam M. The favelas in Brazil are places where, beyond the urban image, there are lack of social services such as hospitals, security and more. Maybe this is what the people living in there needed to start working as community for the best, or maybe is just a nice gesture stuck in the facade. But lovely indeed

4. Pingback: Favela Painting | The Donut Project

5. niknikko June 10, 2010 at 9:21 AM

reminds me that !! same idea behind
    and seen 4 days ago

6. Nikki June 10, 2010 at 10:18 AM

Wow this is awesome! I love all that color, i wonder what my neighbors would think if that was in there neighborhood!

7. Dr. Oh No June 11, 2010 at 5:04 PM

Would the time and effort, spent elsewhere, be more civically impactiful? I want to say yes, just because this process looks so tedious and inconsequential. However, I could get down with the blind notion that this will instill some pride and self-worth into the residents.

8. Dr. Oh No June 11, 2010 at 5:07 PM

*”impactiful” should read “influential”

9. Pingback: The Alexander Painting Project | Floor Drees