Visiting Paris, recommendations welcome

Visiting Paris

To celebrate our 5th anniversary Kyle and I are traveling to Paris from July 24 to August 3 for amazing food, lots of champagne, and some wonderful shopping. The thing is, I’ve never visited before and Kyle hasn’t been for over 10 years. We’re hoping to get some interesting tips on places that are unique, exclusive, off the beaten path, etc. Or if you run a cool design studio, make some cool products, or want us to drink at your secret bar, let us know. We’re looking for experiences that only people in the know would be privy to. Also, we may do a TFIB drinks night as well, so if you’re interested please let me know! Thanks in advance for the advice.

13 Comments Visiting Paris, recommendations welcome

1. Christopher July 13, 2015 at 12:32 PM

As I’ve been in Paris for the first time last year, I enjoyed this a lot:
    – do a picknick in Jardin du Luxembourg. The hell, get a bit drunk with red wine at noon, you won’t be the only one
    – have a breakfast or some sweets at one of gazillion cafés and pastry shops at Rue de Martyrs
    – moving from there to Gare du Nord you’ll find some great bar Chez Casimir at Rue de Belzunce, where with neighbour restaurants they have some own coin currency you pay with
    – Palais de Tokyo is always fun, and a nearby small restaurant Aux Marches du Palais is worth a visit

Enjoy! And take a lots of money with you!

2. Marta July 13, 2015 at 12:54 PM

Palais de Tokyo is worth spending half a day at and it’s close to some of the more bigger landmarks.
    Also in La Marais, there is a cool book store called “Centre culturel suisse” which has a lot of publications and zines specifically from Switzerland. A lot of cool and rare graphic design books too. And while you are in the neighbourhood, go grab a falafel at L’As Du Fallafel, I dream about it everyday.

If you are going to trek out to Versailles, pack food and rent bikes on the grounds. Also be prepared to wait in a lot of lines.

3. Jon Baines July 13, 2015 at 4:58 PM

Had some great meals over at Café de l’Industrie near Bastille, ill be over in Paris the weekend you guys arrive as well!

4. Kala July 14, 2015 at 12:57 AM

Hi Kyle! I recommend you download the Shopikon Paris app (https://www.shopikon.com/paris/shopping-guide), which features all the best independent boutiques around the city – you’ll find some killer boutiques just like the ones you feature on your blog. I highly recommend these shops: Ami, Monsieur Lacenaire, Tombées du Camion, Ofr., The Broken Arm. Have fun!

5. Danielle July 14, 2015 at 9:19 AM

I just came back from Paris and had never gone to Europe before. My favorite parts were the Cabaret Paradis Latin, the neighborhood of Montmartre, (be sure to go to Sacre Coeur on a Friday or Saturday night and chill with the locals and tourists alike.) Montmartre and The Jewish Quarter were definitely my favorite neighborhoods. The Moulin Rouge also turns into a sweet dancing spot on Saturday nights (cover is 5 euros). The crepe stand guy by the Moulin Rouge was very charismatic, and he makes the crepes from scratch which is fun to watch. I’d check him out if I were you (I miss him already). The catacombs are also really cool, but I had to wait 2.5 hours to get in O_O. If you have time for a day trip you should see Monet’s house and garden. Anyway, have fun!

6. Marc Antoine July 14, 2015 at 9:43 AM

still one of the easiest place to spot new things happening in Paris, pop-up shops, oddities, etc

They have articles written in english “pour les voyageurs”

Célébrés bien vous deux !!

7. Bertrand July 15, 2015 at 1:29 AM

I’m french and i’m living in Paris, so you can find here lots of things about Paris :

Beaubourg and Le Marais is the place to be for you.

have a nice trip!

8. Maya July 17, 2015 at 6:52 AM

I would go back to Paris just for the pistachio snail at Du Pain Et Idees. Saw it on The Layover and it lived up to the hype. Bring a hanky or a hat. It’s hot there; seriously.

9. carla July 22, 2015 at 6:08 AM

Hello I am an Italian graphic designer living in Paris since almost five years. I’ll be in Paris and glad to have a coffee with you and an other friend. paris is a nice place to discover ;) Let me know if you are interested!

10. Anne Ditmeyer / Prêt à Voyager July 22, 2015 at 8:13 AM

All my Paris tips are on my blog: http://www.pret-a-voyager.com/visit-paris/ (I have a new Herb Lester Paris Small Shops map too!). Also, I’m @pretavoyager on Instagram with loads of ideas there. FYI, you can row a boat inside Palais de Tokyo at the moment! And the museum is open until midnight! (Closed Tuesdays).

11. Dorothy July 24, 2015 at 9:12 AM

Gypsy jazz on Monday nights at Le Piano Vache! Merci shop in Haut Marais. Septime and Le Bon Georges for good eats. Hanging out in the Canal Saint-Martin area — Artazart bookstore is worth stopping by. And of course a picnic anywhere. Enjoy!