The Millenium Falcon constructed with 3D Legos in 3 minutes

The Millenium Falcon constructed with 3D Legos in 3 minutes

The Millenium Falcon constructed with 3D Legos in 3 minutes

The Millenium Falcon constructed with 3D Legos in 3 minutes

I know you guys love Legos, so I had to share this video created by Francisco Prieto, who’s created a 3D modeled version of the Lego Millenium Falcon. Taking over 3 years, Francisco created the video with 3DS Max and V-Ray, using 3,572,568 polygons and 670 hours of rendering time. To say this was a serious undertaking would be an understatement, clearly Francisco loves him some Legos and Star Wars. This is kind of magical to behold, especially the detailing that goes into the upper portions of the ship. I’ve also realized I would never want to try and build one of these for myself, I’d probably go nuts.

6 Comments The Millenium Falcon constructed with 3D Legos in 3 minutes

1. Edison February 24, 2012 at 9:03 AM

I guess in hyperspace 3 years would feel like 3 minutes.

2. jk February 24, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Amazing, love it! I just can’t get a handle on the scale of it, there’s no contextual landmark in the images or reference to its size, three and a half million pieces is staggering but what’s its final dimension?….

3. abel February 25, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Huh, pretty cool but 3 yrs sounds weird.

I worked on a lego animation in cg where I had to build and destroy, frame by frame legos mimicking stop motion and no way hiding and unhiding for rendering would take 3 years… Does anyone know how he did this because I know there’s actual programs

where you can use pre-constructed legos in cg without modeling anything as this guy said he did…

Is the three years from concept to actually doing? Curious what actual turnaround time was on this…

Anyways, pretty awesome. does he state how many actual pieces this would take in reality?

4. robbie February 26, 2012 at 11:39 PM

wow. thats alot of detail for a lego ship. that was really amazing

5. Chris March 2, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Nice. I played around with something like this many years ago using POV-Ray (www.povray.org) and a library of pre built individual lego bricks. Actually here is the script if anyone is interested (www.celabs.com/pictures/lego_car/lego_car.pov). To get it to work you’d need to find those libraries I used, I’m sure they are out there somewhere.

My main reason for commenting though was to ask what the background music was. Thanks

6. rano March 7, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Yeah I was wondering about the background music too.