Lego Volkswagen T1 Camper Van

Lego VW

“For Pete’s sake, what are you writing about Lego for?”. If this is your reaction to seeing this post, then move on, keep moving and perhaps think about what you just said. It might mean that we may need to rethink our friendship – I’m sorry but that’s just how it goes!

Lego VW

Seriously though, I find it hard to imagine any reader here who doesn’t take a liking to the wonderful world of Lego. In truth, it’s probably the greatest toy ever made. The other day Lego announced that they’d collaborated with Volkswagen to create a Lego T1 Camper Van and I think they did an incredible job in recreating such an iconic design. While Lego have really captured the essence of the van it’s the enthusiasm of designer John-Henry Harris seen in the video above that made me want to share this with you.

For many, working as a Concept Designer at LEGO seems like a dream-job and it’s enriching to see the enthusiasm that Harris has for his craft. If you’re interested in learning more about the role of play in design then I recommend you check out this excellent TEDxEast talk in which Harris discusses how play is an integral part of any design process. The Camper van itself, will be available October 1, 2011 from the online Lego shop.

14 Comments Lego Volkswagen T1 Camper Van

1. Rene August 25, 2011 at 12:41 PM

this is amazing! I love legos!!!!!!

2. Sabrina August 25, 2011 at 9:31 PM

This is the cutest, coolest thing I’ve ever seen. I haven’t had a Lego set in years but I want to get this! :)

3. Kevin August 26, 2011 at 4:16 AM

I, like JohnH in his comment, have been pretty fascinated with the Lego architecture series, particularly the Frank Lloyd Wright sets. I’ve always kind of felt a nostalgia for VW vans, so I think I’ll have to pick this up.

4. Micha Posthumus August 26, 2011 at 4:51 AM

Lego & the T1 are a great mix!

5. Chris MacKenzie August 26, 2011 at 6:58 PM

Legos are rad. This is rad. End.

6. Dennis September 4, 2011 at 12:59 PM

Wow…that is intense…really cool. Any who hates Legos?!?! NOBODY! Great post.

7. Lauren @ Pure Text September 4, 2011 at 1:26 PM

These are ******* amazing! :P

That’s a very unique job Harris has. You can’t go to college for that. Lol.

8. Lance Abney September 4, 2011 at 2:24 PM

So LOVE Lego’s, since I was a kid and I am still playing at 53. This looks like a next set for my hip(py) collection. I think I am at about six of the large bin Tupperware containers full of Lego pieces and track. Do I have to give them up to the Grandkids when I get them? You don’t have to hurry boys! LOL

9. Ange September 4, 2011 at 3:01 PM

This is so cool. I want to buy my borther one for Christmas but I know I’ll end up keeping it.

10. Sheila September 4, 2011 at 3:17 PM!!!!!!!!

11. Chris September 4, 2011 at 4:23 PM

This is too cool, great job! You could make a whole series of different ones now….split window passenger van, 70’s westy & passenger, 80’s vanagon (would have more angles) westy & passenger.

How about a Vespa and/or Lambretta scooter now????!

12. eva September 5, 2011 at 7:02 PM

how big is that??!~

13. katsi duzynski September 19, 2011 at 6:27 PM

radical … my son & I did a soccer match for an 7th grade project, we co-designed it.. was way cool. I did the design he came up with the idea, and he built it, for a social studies class. I love the “get the grey cells thinking & flashing” part of the toy. You can’t do that anywhere except with pens, crayons & paint. Or a computer design program if you have one & know how to use it’s apps.