Justin Mezell, Winner of Re-Covered Books: 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?'

I’ve been really excited and proud by the outpouring of amazing entries for the Re-Covered Books contest featuring Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. I need to give a huge thanks to the mant talented artists, designers and creatives that decided to enter into the contest. That said, there can only be one winner, and that honor goes to Justin Mezell.

I was most impressed with Justin’s work because of the unique look and style of his entry. At the bottom there’s what looks like to me like one of the androids eyes, and wired up to that is a tiny core that contains a little sheep. Okay, I think it could have possibly been better without the inclusion sheep, but at least it was tastefully done. I also felt like the color combination of orange, blue, charcoal and creme were well picked and complimented each other nicely. The other big factor that really works for me was Justin’s consideration of the typography for the title. There were a lot of entries that didn’t really do a great job on the type, that was a deal breaker for me, but his use of Univers was a nice change from all the Futura. Not hating on Futura, but in a field of a whole lot of Futura, this stands out quite a bit. Justin did a great job of thinking his entry all the way through, and I think he’s totally deserving of being a winner.

Yet again, a big thanks to Justin and all the other creatives who entered. I’ll be sure to announce the next Re-Covered Books contest next week, so be sure to get ready. If you have any suggestions feel free to leave them in the comments section.

12 Comments Justin Mezell, Winner of Re-Covered Books: ‘Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?’

1. Philip August 9, 2011 at 10:18 AM

Excellent choice!

2. Relena August 9, 2011 at 10:36 AM

love it~!

3. Diego August 9, 2011 at 10:48 AM

I wouldn’t have a problem if the sheep weren’t the central focus of the piece, but man do I wish it weren’t there! It’s a really awesome ornate sci-fi frame for a cute little icon. Adds a layer of twee that I don’t think communicates the dark tone of the book very well at all, and the title says it already, so why say it again? That said, I do think the colors and typesetting are absolutely spot on and it is a gorgeous piece of work (aside from the sheep, tasteful as it may be).

4. Andy August 9, 2011 at 10:49 AM

Beautiful cover. Great look and treatment. Well deserved!

5. Justin Mezzell August 9, 2011 at 11:01 AM

Thanks so much for all the kind words and especially those constructive ones that challenge me as a designer. So grateful to have a community of people that are willing to take the time to critique and help me improve as an artist.

@Diego
    Looking at it now, you’re absolutely right. I definitely went back and forth with whether or not to include the sheep. I can see now, I think the piece as a whole would have benefited greatly without it there so much. Was making an attempt to balance out the abstraction with a component that could ground it in a literal way but certainly agree that it would absolutely make it more powerful to not have it there–especially as a focal point.

Thank you so much for voicing those things. I will most definitely heed wise words and use it to keep working at it.

6. Christopher Swift August 9, 2011 at 3:46 PM

@Justin.

Congratulations Justin, beautiful work – love it.

@Bobby.

How about some Hemingway or Kerouac for the next cover. I love a good challenge.

7. Bobby SolomonBobby Solomon August 9, 2011 at 10:21 PM

@Christopher – I was thinking about some Hemingway!

8. Ivan August 10, 2011 at 3:20 AM

Excellent work! I voted for this, so I’m happy with the result. I agree that the sheep is a bit unnecessary, but the whole piece is well considered and thought out.

9. Steve Courtney August 10, 2011 at 10:21 AM

Great work Justin, a well deserved win.
    I don’t mind the sheep, I think your rationale makes sense, and it was used tastefully as part of a more complex illustration.

10. Lauren August 11, 2011 at 9:26 AM

Well deserved ~ congrats!

11. Fake Name Test August 12, 2011 at 6:02 PM

I love them all, but this one is best

12. Chaz September 6, 2011 at 9:31 AM

@Justin – Another great piece, friend. Always blown away by your work. (With or without the sheep)

@Bobby – Type note* Its Knockout, not Univers. Just fyi.