The Town of Rhyl Gets A Refreshed Identity from Proud Creative

The Town of Rhyl Gets A Refreshed Identity from Proud Creative

The Town of Rhyl Gets A Refreshed Identity from Proud Creative

The Town of Rhyl Gets A Refreshed Identity from Proud Creative

The Town of Rhyl Gets A Refreshed Identity from Proud Creative

Click images to enlarge

You know me, I love a good redesign, and this one from Proud Creative is one of the best I’ve seen in a long while. Created for an issue of Icon Magazine, Proud Creative took on the challenge of creating a brand new identity for the seaside town of Rhyl, which for those of you (like me) who aren’t familiar, it’s on the northern coast of Wales.

They created a brand that’s filled with bright colors and interesting patterns which were inspired by the British seaside and a skewed rectangle, inspired by the angle of the Rhyl coastline. Seeing a project like this is so inspiring. Imagine if something like this were real? If the people and political heads of Rhyl took this project and enacted it, made it happen, and brightened their community?

Maybe instead of a Re-Covered Books project I should start a contest to rebrand your small town? Perhaps it could be the town you grow up in or a small town near you? Maybe there would even be a population limit?

6 Comments The Town of Rhyl Gets A Refreshed Identity from Proud Creative

1. Christopher Elkin August 3, 2011 at 1:41 AM

That is an amazing idea, you should definitely start that!

I liked the rebranding of Melbourne by Landor a few years back.

2. Gareth August 3, 2011 at 4:29 AM

I grew up near Rhyl and enjoyed the spending the weekends at Rhyl’s seaside as any kid would. I still visit Rhyl from time to time to visit family and what not. Unfortunately it’s really declined over the past 10 – 15 years.

Rhyl needs a real good pick-me-up like this re-brand to revive it back to the tourist hot spot it once was. Generate a decent cash flow, clean up the streets and maintain a positive community.

3. MZA August 3, 2011 at 9:25 AM

Very cool. The colorful pattern makes the mundane look so fun!

I grew up in small mid-western towns and I think something like this would bring a lot of (visual/atmospheric) cheer. Like edward scissorhands.

4. Carren August 3, 2011 at 12:27 PM

Yes! I love the idea of rebranding a town and if it’s anything like this then the town is all the better for it :D

5. Josh Turner August 3, 2011 at 3:49 PM

That is a great idea. Currently me and group of friends have set out to redesign a community we all belong to and it has been loads of fun!

6. Cassie August 15, 2011 at 9:54 AM

This is brilliant, makes the otherwise rubbish and dull Rhyl look lovely! you have certainly achieved what you set out to do!