Re-Covered Books: Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Re-Covered Books: Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Well, it’s been a few months since our last Re-Covered Books contest, so I figured it was time we get back to creating some awesome work, don’t you think? I decided that I wanted to pick a book that was newer, something that could really inspire a lot of bold ideas and not be marred with clichés. Browsing through our library at the TFIB HQ I came across a copy of Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, and realized that’s exactly what I was looking for.

It’s important to remember that this was the book that inspired Blade Runner, the emphasis here is on the word inspired. That means I don’t want to see any Harrison Ford looking guys on your covers, or anything that’s borrowed from Blade Runner. Try and use your imagination and come up with some crazy, sci-fi imagery.

The winner of this month’s Re-Covered Books contest will win $100 to Amazon.

• Please save your images as JPGs no larger than 800px wide at 72 DPI/RGB mode, there’s no height restrictions (within reason). Feel free to play with the dimensions and have fun with what you make. Making a front and back cover with certainly help your chances, but is not required.

• Send all entries to contest@thefoxisblack.com with the subject “Re-Covered Books: Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?“. Just cut and paste what I wrote there, it’s super easy and it helps me keep track of your entry.

• All entries are due August 6th, 2011 by Midnight, PST.

If there are any other questions feel free to leave them in the comments. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with and be sure to tell your friends/classmates/pets to participate. Good luck and have fun!

Levente Szabo's Cover for Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Levente Szabo's Cover for Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Levente Szabo

Patrick Stephenson's Cover for Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Patrick Stephenson

Joe WIlson's Cover for Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Joe Wilson

Mary Hawkins' Cover for Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Mary Hawkins

Steve Courtney's Cover for Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Steve Courtney

Nim Ben-Reuven's Cover for Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Nim Ben-Reuven

Bob Farrigan's Cover for Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Bob Farrigan

Corinne Stevie's Cover for Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Corinne Stevie

Tristan McNatt's Cover for Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Tristan McNatt

D. S. Higdon

Simon Couper

's Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? Cover

Jim Mooring

Elliott McCreadie's Cover for Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Elliott McCreadie

Tuukka Sinisalo's Cover for Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Tuukka Sinisalo's Cover for Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Tuukka Sinisalo

Christopher Swift's Cover for Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Christopher Swift's Cover for Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Christopher Swift

Hannes Beer's Cover for Do Android's Dream of Electric Sheep?

Hannes Beer

Simon Clarke's Cover for Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Simon Clarke's Cover for Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Simon Clarke

Andy Kurtts's Cover for Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Andy Kurtts's Cover for Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Andy Kurtt

Kate Miss and William Steinman's Cover for Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Kate Miss and William Steinman's Cover for Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Kate Miss and William Steinman

Nim Ben-Reuven's Cover for Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Nim Ben-Reuven

Elliot Salazar's Cover for Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Elliot Salazar's Cover for Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Elliot Salazar's Cover for Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Elliot Salazar

Steven Stevens' Cover for Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Steven Stevens

Mitch McArtor's Cover for Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Mitch McArtor

Marissa Louise's Cover for Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Marissa Louise

David Sizemore's Cover for Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

David Sizemore

Joe Watson's Cover for Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Joe Watson's Cover for Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Joe Watson

Chris Hood's Cover for Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Chris Hood

Eric Stine's Cover for Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Eric Stine

Bobby Tyning's Cover for Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Bobby Tyning

David Kresses' Cover for Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

David Kresses' Cover for Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

David Kresses

Mason Plunkett's Cover for Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Mason Plunkett

Justin Mezzell's Cover for Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Justin Mezell

Patrick Jordan's Cover for Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Patrick Jordan's Cover for Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Patrick Jordan

Nate Utesch's Cover for Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Nate Utesch

Colby Brooks' Cover for Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Colby Brooks' Cover for Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Colby Brooks

38 Comments Re-Covered Books: Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

1. Steven Stevens July 14, 2011 at 12:36 PM

Looking forward to doing this myself! What an awesome idea.

2. Erica Williams July 15, 2011 at 10:55 AM

I really want to try my hand at this one. Honestly hated the book but really loved some of the ideas and fantasy of it. Super contest no matter what though!

3. Patrick July 19, 2011 at 8:17 AM

I agree with Erica, in that out of all Dick’s books I’ve read, I can’t say this was among my favorites. Some great ideas surely, but an overall low point in his canon. Looking forward to trying a design for this, regardless. Some interesting concepts to play round with. I really appreciate this contest you’ve been running – a great thing to get people away from the computer and back to the printed word.

4. Brennan July 20, 2011 at 8:29 AM

Loving Patrick Stephenson’s submission. Reminds me of the old covers they used to have on those kinds of books.

Spot on.

5. RvS July 21, 2011 at 1:28 PM

I also think Patrick Stephenson is the best entry till now. I do respect the other participants, for sending something in.

6. Brennan July 26, 2011 at 2:53 PM

I wish I could edit my previous post to reflect the new update (more submissions added) but I can’t, so I guess I’ll just have to say:

I’m team Steve Courtney now. It’s close with Stephenson’s, but that polygon owl is pretty much perfect for that era’s art style.

7. John Isidore July 27, 2011 at 6:14 AM

“…but that polygon owl is pretty much perfect for that era’s art style.”

What? At what point during the 1960s (the book was written in ’66, published in ’68) was polygon/vector computer rendering even present, let alone “perfect for that era’s art style”?

“For the people who submit things with sheep just because the word ‘sheep’ appears in the title: read the book, please.”

Right, I agree, but it is part of the title, and the sheep is mentioned within the first dozen pages. Also, the animal chosen for the title says much about the people in the story.

8. @Shannonigans76 August 3, 2011 at 4:16 PM

I love Elliott McCreadie’s. The difficult to read title is both a problem and what makes it awesome. I would love to see it with a readable title on the spine.

9. notverydesignysorry August 3, 2011 at 4:32 PM

Couper’s makes me think of Chuck Palahniuk. Sinisalo’s makes me think of Hunter S. Thompson. The first one (by Swift?) – the other bright yellow one – makes me think of Douglas Coupland. (None of these being bad things.) The second Swift one is my favourite…I think. Because I think it would push sales without misrepresenting itself (I can’t say the same for an indie-scrawled repub of The Midwich Cuckoos by Wyndham, which I grabbed impulsively from the local library thinking it would be a winding little contemporary read). Also – I Beer’s choice of type.

10. OldPandaDayz August 3, 2011 at 6:14 PM

Steve Courtney’s! The owl is a simple iconic image that speaks to both the book and the movie.

11. Delia August 4, 2011 at 8:09 PM

Elliott McCreadie’s for me. He takes the essence of the book, the question of what separates humans from machines, and puts it simply and wonderfully into one image.

12. Lev August 6, 2011 at 3:29 AM

Stephenson and McCreadie for me. Stephenson for the best use of space and composition; the design also feels both retro and modern at the same time, which I believe is one of the most important factors when re-covering this book. McCreadie simply for the creative type that also works as an iconic image for the novel/movie.

13. Sanna August 8, 2011 at 2:04 AM

I like Hawkins’ pink sheep, but I think the winner for me is Couper’s retirement watch. The ‘get ready to retire’ tag is a real invitation to read the book (although I’m not sure whether the text might come across as being a proper part of the title), which would really be the point of the cover.

14. Kjell-Roger August 8, 2011 at 2:34 AM

Justin Mezells just blew my mind. Nice.

15. Ivan August 8, 2011 at 3:12 AM

Justin Mezell – I really like his playful take on some of the more abstract scenes in the book. Also, in terms of composition it is stunning. Some great work!

16. Tom August 8, 2011 at 5:25 AM

plunkett, stephenson, and clarke, particularly plunkett

17. severin August 8, 2011 at 6:00 AM

wow so many good ones. i haven’t read the book so i’m picking purely on aesthetics. i like hannes beer’s robot. but i think i like joe watson’s the best. if i saw that at the bookstore that would be the one i would buy. looks like i’m going to have to go out and buy this book now. : )

18. aidan August 8, 2011 at 6:08 AM

Gonna have to go with Elliot Salazar, or anyone that didn’t put a sheep on their cover. But I really like the imagery of Salazar’s entry and how it deals with the idea of wether or not the androids would know if they were androids. It conveys an idea that’s central to (at least) the movie without being heavy handed, or overly literal, and it’s an interesting presentation that would make me pick it up even if i didn’t know what it was about.

19. Cam August 8, 2011 at 7:33 AM

I like Justin Mezell’s, just great work. Honorable mention to Patrick Stephenson.

20. Lev August 8, 2011 at 9:38 AM

My updated list: Stephenson, McCreadie, Mezell

21. Josh Turner August 8, 2011 at 10:19 AM

Nate Utesch’s is my favourite!

22. Matt August 8, 2011 at 10:31 AM

Joe Watson is my pick!

23. Chris August 8, 2011 at 10:32 AM

Chris Swift or Nate Utesch.

24. Greg August 8, 2011 at 10:33 AM

Steve Courtney’s is awesome!

25. Trix August 8, 2011 at 10:49 AM

My vote goes to Elliot Salazar! Really like the lettering for Chris Hood’s entry though.

26. David August 8, 2011 at 11:29 AM

1 – Nate Utesch, 2 – Justin Mezell, 3 – Patrick Stephenson

27. Julian L. August 8, 2011 at 11:32 AM

Curious of the relationship between the book and the artist process. Getting disconnected when I attempt to figure it out for myself.

28. Shaheen August 8, 2011 at 12:12 PM

I like Mason Plunkett’s the best. The high contrast, black and white imagery is telling of the post-apocalyptic future setting of the novel (and reminds me of the aesthetic for the movie rendition ‘Blade Runner’).

29. Geometry August 8, 2011 at 12:45 PM

I always thought this story takes place in the future. But now I understand that it apparently takes place in the FUTURA. hehe, sorry that was bad.

30. Whitney August 8, 2011 at 2:59 PM

Nate Utesch <3 !!

31. Diego August 8, 2011 at 6:42 PM

I agree though, mister geo. Lots of Futura / Century Gothic going on. I love the font, Its sleek, economical and timeless, but in this case I think it only makes otherwise great designs seem a bit generic. Also, there’s one L in Philip, right? Just checking;) great work all around, hard to choose just one. I like the more gestural stuff though, as they let the reader sort of make sense of the abstractness as the chapters progress.

32. Michelle Hyduke August 8, 2011 at 7:19 PM

Steve Courtney’s owl really captures the mood of the book

33. Geometry August 8, 2011 at 9:36 PM

I’m struck by the effort people have been putting into this. Seems to have really struck a chord and gives me hope that that the death of Book Design can be held off for just a bit longer, if not indefinitely. As for who I’m rooting for, I’m interested in the designs that put visual and typographic intrigue in front of actual marketability. It shows that the designer is moving beyond the pre-formatted cover styles that we are used to and comfortable with, especially since this is a challenge in creativity. But best of luck to all who entered! you rock!

34. nancydrew August 8, 2011 at 10:58 PM

Definitely have to go with Mason Plunkett’s cover. The boldness of the image has an intriguing depth, and the duality of the eye creates mysterious possibilities – are we peering into a desolate world? or is the eye examining us?

35. SG August 9, 2011 at 8:10 AM

Re: sheep. Hey, all of the REAL covers used sheep, so don’t be too down on people who used them. But my favorite was the electrical socket owl by Simon Clark.

36. Mary Hawkins August 9, 2011 at 12:01 PM

I can’t pick out just one favorite, but I really like the two owl covers. Definitely a good choice!

I was trying to find a way to use an animal that was not a sheep and ended up with a herd of ’em instead. All the other animals in the book were loaded with meanings that I didn’t think would make sense or be appealing to someone who hadn’t read the book yet.

37. Keaton August 10, 2011 at 12:50 AM

I really like some of these. Pretty cool idea. If you’re taking ideas for future Re-covered Books contests, I’d like to put “Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance” on the table! It’s a great book and the original cover design is quite minimalistic, which is all well and good, but it isn’t quite a design that would draw in a potential reader if he just browsed over it at the library.