The LGBT Creatives Series

The LGBT Creatives Series

Two years ago President Obama declared June to be LGBT Pride Month here in the United States. As a gay man, I have some mixed feelings about the idea of “Pride” and what exactly that should entail. I doubt that few schools are teaching kids about notable LGBT people in history, or reading books specifically because they’re written by an LGBT author. At the same time, there are Pride parades happening all across the U.S. and the world, which are less about Pride and more about a bacchanalian style event filled with go go boys, glitter and drag queens. If that’s how you choose to show your pride, good for you, but that doesn’t work for me.

So what I thought I’d do is profile some LGBT people who also happen to be fantastic artists/illustrators/designers and so on. Some of the people have been featured on the site before, and maybe you didn’t even know they weren’t straight. As a gay man, I feel that this is the least I can do to support my community and do it in a way that makes sense.

I’d also like to point out that I made the little logo above a few years back during the whole Prop 8 debacle. I felt like the LGBT community could use a new symbol to stand by, something that actually looked kind of cool. It’s three triangles, Cyan, Magenta and Yellow, laid over one another to make three more triangles. To me it symbolized not only the rainbow flag, but also references the pink triangle as well as the idea of coming together to create something more whole.

I’ll be posting the first interview later today, so stay tuned.

12 Comments The LGBT Creatives Series

1. Julian Callos June 14, 2011 at 10:01 AM

What a cool idea! I’m always interested in learning about other gay artists and the kind of work they do, so this is pretty exciting.

2. Julie June 14, 2011 at 10:03 AM

This is an awesome idea–I’m excited to read through the series. I agree, the whole glitter and go go boys doesn’t quite do it for me either. But I’m digging your logo.

I creep your site all the time, man, I quite like it. Keep up the good work.

3. Punchy June 14, 2011 at 10:05 AM

Cute, I like.

4. David Amrock June 14, 2011 at 10:17 AM

This is a great idea. I’ve been thinking lately that there’s strangely little visibility of LGBT people in design, and it actually can be discouraging. Really glad you’re making a point to get this across. :)

5. François Joseph de Kermadec June 14, 2011 at 10:45 AM

A most interesting idea indeed. I quite look forward to reading the interviews and learning how the LGBT angle influences each designer’s thought and creative process. « Pride » is a very broad concept that often bears revisiting…

6. William Duignan June 14, 2011 at 2:19 PM

Thank you! It’s about time that we show that being creative, talented and gay are not mutually exclusive; I know I’ve struggle with it for years. This is so liberating, I can’t wait!

7. Kate June 14, 2011 at 10:30 PM

I want to first say that this is an excellent idea and I’m really excited to see what artists you have in store for us and what they have to say.

However, I find it rather disappointing that you seem to want to distance yourself from, and take a condescending tone with gay pride parades. “If that’s how you choose to show your pride, good for you, but that doesn’t work for me.”

Gay pride parades can indeed be flamboyant and may perhaps seem like they are more about the party and less about the difficult political and social work that needs to be done. But that is because they ARE a party. They celebrate all the difficult political and social work that has been done. They can indeed be flamboyant but isn’t that what we have worked so hard for? I don’t mean that we’ve all worked so hard to put on fake rainbow eyelashes (although there is nothing wrong with that). But rather we’ve worked so hard to get one day to let lose and party and celebrate all kinds of diverse love, from the kind that loves glitter and lip liner to the more quiet and subtle. The ability to get to be ourselves, even our most outrageous selves, in front of others is quite a privileged position that many in the world still do not have. And while some of the glitter and kink may not reflect myself personally or other individuals, it reflects a broader social movement of a sex positive culture, that allows all kinds of people, from the more reserved to the ostentatious to celebrate their love, and their way of loving.

I am really glad that you are beginning this new LGBT Creative series and giving artists a chance to further express themselves and their views. I highly value your blog and the types of work you showcase here. However, perhaps you could extent that same tone of excitement rather than disappointment and distancing to others who chose to express themselves in different ways that you, even if it might seem cliche or outrageous.

8. Bobby SolomonBobby Solomon June 14, 2011 at 11:12 PM

@Kate – My opinion is exactly that, just my own. You’re essentially saying that I should accept people for their flamboyant, expressive ways, yet you’re saying my outlook is wrong. I don’t have to like Pride parades just as much as you don’t have to like my aversion to them.

You mention letting loose, getting to be ourselves. I get to be myself everyday. I never hide who I am around my friends, family and co-workers, they all accept me for exactly who I am. If someone feels like Pride gives them the opportunity to feel that way, that they’re around people like them and they can be comfortable for a day, that’s amazing.

I absolutely support a community coming together and supporting each other, but I don’t view Pride parades as celebrating or remembering our past, and I find that discouraging. That’s why I’m dong this. I’m trying to put on display interesting, creative people who are also Lesbian, Gay, Transgender or Bi-Sexual, in the way that I find interesting and presented in a way that I find meaningful.

Different strokes for different folks!

9. Adam Pritchett June 15, 2011 at 4:36 AM

I would like to say what a wonderful, inspired idea this is, I personally don’t feel that pride events show off the diversity or talent from the gay community, they don’t give me any pride in my community.
    But ideas like this showing off talent and the creativity is just brilliant, I shall be recommending more people to check it out!

10. Florian June 15, 2011 at 7:46 AM

I love the idea behind the logo and the logo itself. Especially, the reference to the pink triangle.

“Let it never be forgotten.”

11. BB June 15, 2011 at 10:49 AM

Wonderful logo and a great initiative! Looking forward to your next posts.

12. Chris September 11, 2011 at 5:03 PM

I’m new to this website, which is most likely obvious due to my late comment. I love this concept. Oftentimes I do find my voice isn’t represented in the gay community due to the overwhelmingly loud voice of flamboyance at events such as pride. I have many flamboyant friends who I love completely but I do not feel that their voice should be the only one represented. This project has tangible meaning to me and I couldn’t be happier that I found it. Thank you!