Winnipeg Skating Shelters by Patkau Architects

Winnipeg Skating Shelters by Patkau Architects

Winnipeg Skating Shelters by Patkau Architects

I assume it’s still snowing in Canada, all over Canada, and I hope I’m right about that. Even though it’s starting to warm up here in the southern states, I came across this chilly cluster of wonky woodshapes that looks amazing. Patkau Architects designed these bent plywood structures as shelters from the wintry elements along a skating trail in Winnipeg. The architects describe the cluster as a flotilla, the collective noun for boats. Which makes sense because it looks like this flotilla is anchored on top of a frozen lake. The form of each shelter seems boat-like too, thanks to a structure made from bending plywood into structural shapes; shapes that might resemble hulls, bows, keels, or sterns depending on your angle and attitude.

12 Comments Winnipeg Skating Shelters by Patkau Architects

1. lofatal May 18, 2011 at 12:22 PM

umm…just so you know…its not snowing up here in Calgary…anymore…lol. Its actually quite nice and sunny which is great!

2. Jane May 18, 2011 at 1:25 PM

I’m sure there’s still snow in the Rockies, but there’s been no snow in Montreal all here for a while. It’s even green in Edmonton now (I saw video of it and everything).

3. jeff May 18, 2011 at 1:47 PM

its the middle of may! Canada is not the North Pole.

4. Victoria May 18, 2011 at 2:14 PM

Haha yeah hate to break it to you, but most of Canada isn’t covered in snow at this time of year.

5. Bobby SolomonBobby Solomon May 18, 2011 at 2:32 PM

Fact: Even in the middle of May, Canadians don’t know how to take a joke.

6. JC May 18, 2011 at 2:45 PM

I don’t mean to go off on a rant here, but Canadians joke pretty well thank you very much. Dan Akroyd, Howie Mandel, Jim Carey, John Candy, Leslie Nielsen, Martin Short, Michael Cera, Michael J Fox, Mike Myers, Norm Macdonald, Phil Hartman, Russel Peters, Seth Rogen, Ryan Reynolds, Tommy Chong and the human punchline William Shatner. Just sayin :)

7. Bobby SolomonBobby Solomon May 18, 2011 at 2:46 PM

@JC – Never heard of ’em!

8. Patrick May 18, 2011 at 4:45 PM

I’m actually in Winnipeg and let me tell you, it looks exactly like those photos.

9. true May 19, 2011 at 7:21 AM

Fact: even in the middle of May, Americans still think Canadians live in igloos in the Arctic.

10. J Ballz May 19, 2011 at 8:57 AM

Don’t listen to the fake Canadian comments above. I just got out of my igloo a couple minutes ago and my skidoo is covered in snow. Wifey is making a nice bowl of seal fat. Yum!!!! Then its off to the trading post to sell some beaver pelts! Sigh…

11. nils May 19, 2011 at 12:06 PM

nice to see some coverage of that project. this particular project is part of an annual competition that garners submissions internationally. the “huts” are placed along one of the longest river skating trails in North America. it’s quite lovely. i live very close to where this Patkau installation was set up.

12. kmills May 19, 2011 at 3:32 PM

I’m in Nova Scotia, we have had rain for twenty ish days, no snow though.