The First Trailer for ‘The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn’

The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn

The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn

The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn

A lot of people this morning are talking about the just released trailer for The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn, though not all of it good. I’ve watched the trailer four times now and while it looks ok, a lot of people are questioning why they don’t really show any of the characters faces, or that it was filmed on location in the Uncanny Valley. My hope for this movie is that it’s directed by Steven Spielberg, who’s one of my very favorite directors and a genius in his own right. And though Tintin was filmed with motion capture, the only company who’s ever done a good job with mo-cap is Peter Jackson’s WETA, and that’s exactly who’s handling the special effects.

My guess is that public opinion will force Spielberg and Jackson to release a trailer that really shows the faces of the characters “working,” for a lack of a better term, some kind of proof that we’re not going to be seeing a bunch of glassy eyed zombies running around on screen.

What did you think of the trailer, are you optimistic or excited to see it now?

7 Comments The First Trailer for ‘The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn’

1. Dr. David Robinson May 17, 2011 at 10:31 AM

That was motion capture?!? Watching the trailer, I coulda sworn that was Tilda Swinton playing Tintin!

2. Luke Jones May 17, 2011 at 10:41 AM

I’m optimistic about it. I’ve never read the books or watched the show so I’m coming at this with a pair of fresh eyes and I can honestly say that it looks interesting and unique – two things that can’t be said for many films coming out at the moment.

3. Andy May 17, 2011 at 11:21 AM

I’m looking forward to it. I’m excited about how the computer effects will turn out, good or bad and although a huge Tintin fan I think that it’s silly to get upset over a film maybe not meeting expectations, there will be others in the future. I think that no Tintin film will ever please a majority of fans.
    That said, It would have been interesting to have seen another cartoon version of Tintin, but with animated visuals similar to the latest Asterix and the Vikings film.

4. badinicreateam May 17, 2011 at 11:34 AM

the trailer is not good at all, i didn’t like the idea of the project since the beginning and this trailer doesn’t help to change my mind.

5. Jangojim May 17, 2011 at 12:57 PM

Being from Belgium and being a Tintin fan since I was a kid, I’m disappointed by what I’ve seen so far. It looks a lot like the stuff we’ve seen in Polar Express or Beowulf. and that’s not good. the thing that annoys me the most is that Tintin looks like a 13-year old boy here, while in the comics he’s a 20-something journalist. of course it’s an adaptation, but this is a huge difference for the stories. I wasn’t happy with the choice of cgi, but so be it. It’s still Spielberg and Jackson, so my mind and heart don’t even dare to judge those 2 great directors, but the images so far don’t excite me. On the contrary, they make me scared. I hope that’s not necessary and am still looking forward to the movie experience. I’m sure they won’t let us down…right ?

6. Hamish May 17, 2011 at 3:30 PM

I’m kind of disappointed that they didn’t go for a more cartoon-ish look for Tintin. They seem to have done it for the pickpocket and Allan and totally nailed it. Also I have to say that the environments look amazing.

7. charles May 18, 2011 at 9:11 AM

I’m Belgian as well, and Jangojim exactly expressed my feelings about it in his comment. We’ll see!