Click images to enlarge

Saturday night I had the great opportunity to attend the opening of Olly Moss’ first solo exhibit at Gallery 1988, which I’m pretty sure is titled Paper Cuts. Before the show opened though, it was a secret as to what the hell he’d be exhibiting. It turns out he was creating cameos of pop culture icons, done only as Olly could do. I was speaking to a few friends about the exhibit, and we think it could have been boring, if say, he had done 50 or so. You’d easily identify what was on the walls and walk out. But no, he chose to make (I believe) 352 pieces in total, so you were completely absorbed by all of his pieces, trying to identify them all as you walked around the room. The effect was astounding.

Olly is such a pop junkie, and the references on the walls are all over the place. You can see in the photos above that some of the images were straightforward, but then you’d have the Reservoir Dogs in their signature colors, or Bruce Willis from Die Hard in a frame with broken glass. His tendency to be clever and inventive was in full effect. I think it’s also interesting to mention that Olly is relatively an internet based artist, so it was exciting to see his show be such a huge hit. When Kyle and I arrived the line was around the block, though luckily we were able to sneak in the back and take photos. But when we left the line was still around the block, even though they’d already let a good chunk of people in. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if he sold out his entire show in one night.

If you’re in Los Angeles be sure to stop by Gallery 1988 and see the show. It’s actually really fun trying to figure out who everyone is and getting a laugh at all his cleverness. I’ve posted more photos of the exhibit under the cut, so be sure to check them out as well.

11 Comments Pop Cameos: An Exhibit by Olly Moss at Gallery 1988

1. Joe Dubya May 9, 2011 at 7:25 AM

Sorta has an Allan McCollum vibe to it.

2. Shimondi May 9, 2011 at 6:38 PM

these are pretty cool, and makes me want to make one. I haven’t done one of these since i was in the 2Nd grade. Man these take me back.

3. Daniel Madden May 9, 2011 at 9:05 PM

“..and we think it could have been boring, if say, he had done 50 or so.” – I’ve noticed you’re very opinionated, often unnecessarily. To the point it’s a little annoying. It would’ve been a nice review for this interesting looking gig had it not been for that invalid negativity.

4. Bobby SolomonBobby Solomon May 9, 2011 at 9:14 PM

@Daniel – It’s funny, Olly IM’ed me earlier today thanking me for the nice write up, not telling me how “negative” I was.

I’m extremely opinionated, people without opinions are boring. If you want banal content without commentary there’s plenty of drivel out there to feast your eyes on.

5. Melanie Richards May 9, 2011 at 9:30 PM

@Bobby: Totally agree. I unsubscribe from blogs that are simply a curation of images; how boring and disappointing. Keep the commentary coming—constructive criticism and open dialog is good for creatives.

6. Galit May 9, 2011 at 9:58 PM

I can’t find the negativity. What am I missing?..
    Great post Bobby and I love the art.

7. Rebecca May 10, 2011 at 2:08 PM

It’s your opinion and your blog. Nice post- I still can’t figure them all out!

8. Ansley Knoch May 10, 2011 at 3:42 PM

This post makes me wish I was in LA for the first time in 10 years. Would LOVE to see this show! Thanks for helping me see it. (I also am a fan of the commentary and agree that the sheer number of pieces takes the show to a whole other level)

9. Kayla May 10, 2011 at 7:23 PM

Franklin and GOB!!!!

10. Kathy May 11, 2011 at 5:33 AM

Love these, they are so much fun! Thanks for posting!

11. Marcus Williamson June 3, 2011 at 11:59 AM

Lov’n that last one. Snake….Snake…..Snaaaaaakkkkkkeeeee! :)