The Bicycle Cap by peSeta for the New Museum

peSeta, The Bicycle Cap, New Museum

peSeta, The Bicycle Cap, New Museum

peSeta, The Bicycle Cap, New Museum

Like the Everynone Symmetry video posted Tuesday, some things just belong together naturally. They’re made for each other. They may serve completely different functions, but they are drawn together by something in their nature. Example: a bicycle and a sewing machine. They seem like two completely different things, but are bound together by symmetry: they spin, they connect, and they are human accessories.

What if we take the idea of symmetry and push it one step forward to have symmetrical items creating?

Well, no one has ever really thought of that…except for the brilliant fashion/art/lifestyle brand, peSeta. Working with The New Museum, the Madrid based company noticed a bicycle and a sewing machine having a little bit of a love affair and wondered what the two would create, if given the opportunity. The creation? A bicycle cap!

The above video is a totally adorable, cute, even silly bite-sized documentary chronicling the genesis and process involved in creating the hats. It makes you love your bike even more and makes you covet–maybe even slobber–over these “NEW” hats. I watched the video giggling with happiness over how excited they were for the project and over how dang creative they are: the idea is brilliant, the process is brilliant, and they are just so dang brilliantly cute, with their Spain-Spanish accents.

I don’t know about you, but I would die if I could have one of those hats. Here’s hoping I make it to NYC in time to snag one from TNM…or, that I, too, can make my bike and a sewing machine fall in love!

KYLE

8 Comments The Bicycle Cap by peSeta for the New Museum

1. yachris April 21, 2011 at 7:07 AM

Wow! What a great story (and out-of-tune organ).

2. Jim April 21, 2011 at 7:31 AM

Cute and charming, but a little useless? I mean, a bike-powered sewing machine is an interesting contraption, but I wonder how many times that seamstress had to yell “stop stop!” to the guy on the bike. If they just used an old foot-pedal Singer, I bet they could produce more than 16 hats.

The artfulness is nice, and I understand process being part of the idea, but really, human-powered sewing machines are old news.

3. Bobby SolomonBobby Solomon April 21, 2011 at 10:41 AM

@JIm – Man, you missed the whole point. Lighten up.

4. Nick April 21, 2011 at 1:51 PM

Someone likes Wes Anderson

5. Y April 21, 2011 at 3:44 PM

Wait, where and when is this going to be at the New Museum? This sounds awesome!

6. andrew April 21, 2011 at 7:01 PM

Love that bike. Makes me want a yellow bike.

7. nikky April 22, 2011 at 3:46 AM

amazing, beautiful, charming… this is one of those rare moments when brands can actually create art. bravo!

8. jaime April 22, 2011 at 5:52 AM

thanks for all the comments…
    Jim, you may be right, but it was fun to try, though.
    Nick, you´re also right about our love for Wes,,, hahaha
    and Y, the caps will be next week at the shop.