Another Magazine has a big interview with Tom Ford for their Spring/Summer issue, and so they’ve posted online Tom Ford’s five easy lessons in how to be a modern gentleman. While I really like his list and I think it’s something every guy should take to heart. But what I thought was interesting is that the same ideas, save for the last one, is totally applicable to the web.
Nowadays everyone has a web presence, and how you choose to represent yourself is becoming increasingly important. You may have heard of that girl from UCLA who made that crazy video about how annoyed she was by “Asians” and posted it to YouTube… yeah, she’s never going to be able to live that down and she should probably change her name. She’s obviously an extreme example, but it goes to show just how your online self can effect the real world. Take a look at Tom’s list and if you don’t do the things listed, you might want to reconsider things.
1. You should put on the best version of yourself when you go out in the world because that is a show of respect to the other people around you.
2. A gentleman today has to work. People who do not work are so boring and are usually bored. You have to be passionate, you have to be engaged and you have to be contributing to the world.
3. Manners are very important and actually knowing when things are appropriate. I always open doors for women, I carry their coat, I make sure that they’re walking on the inside of the street. Stand up when people arrive at and leave the dinner table.
4. Don’t be pretentious or racist or sexist or judge people by their background.
5. A man should never wear shorts in the city. Flip-flops and shorts in the city are never appropriate. Shorts should only be worn on the tennis court or on the beach.
And yes dudes, the part about the flip flops is true, only wear them to the beach. Shorts on the other hand should be totally fine, especially if you’re young and happen to live in California (sorry, Tom).