Five Lessons From Tom Ford (And How They Apply To The Web)

Five Lessons from Tom Ford

Another Magazine has a big interview with Tom Ford for their Spring/Summer issue, and so they’ve posted online Tom Ford’s five easy lessons in how to be a modern gentleman. While I really like his list and I think it’s something every guy should take to heart. But what I thought was interesting is that the same ideas, save for the last one, is totally applicable to the web.

Nowadays everyone has a web presence, and how you choose to represent yourself is becoming increasingly important. You may have heard of that girl from UCLA who made that crazy video about how annoyed she was by “Asians” and posted it to YouTube… yeah, she’s never going to be able to live that down and she should probably change her name. She’s obviously an extreme example, but it goes to show just how your online self can effect the real world. Take a look at Tom’s list and if you don’t do the things listed, you might want to reconsider things.

1. You should put on the best version of yourself when you go out in the world because that is a show of respect to the other people around you.

2. A gentleman today has to work. People who do not work are so boring and are usually bored. You have to be passionate, you have to be engaged and you have to be contributing to the world.

3. Manners are very important and actually knowing when things are appropriate. I always open doors for women, I carry their coat, I make sure that they’re walking on the inside of the street. Stand up when people arrive at and leave the dinner table.

4. Don’t be pretentious or racist or sexist or judge people by their background.

5. A man should never wear shorts in the city. Flip-flops and shorts in the city are never appropriate. Shorts should only be worn on the tennis court or on the beach.

And yes dudes, the part about the flip flops is true, only wear them to the beach. Shorts on the other hand should be totally fine, especially if you’re young and happen to live in California (sorry, Tom).

12 Comments Five Lessons From Tom Ford (And How They Apply To The Web)

1. ThatGuyKC March 31, 2011 at 9:01 AM

Excellent stuff! Thank you for sharing.

I need to be mindful of #5. :)

2. beach bum March 31, 2011 at 9:06 AM

“Shorts should only be worn on the tennis court or on the beach.” sounds pretty pretentious to me

3. TheDoctorJones March 31, 2011 at 11:25 AM

these have got to be a joke, right? the last rule, in particular, is hilarious. i love the “in the city” part. the unwritten subtext there is “leave the shorts and flip flops to the toothless inbred country white trash”.

only on the tennis court or beach?!? LOL! those are the only two possible locations to ever show your calves…what kind of insane, puritanical nonsense is that? “only wear your best three-piece suit whilst riding your mountain bike”.

Mr. Ford is wildin’ out, y’all!

4. KYLE FITZPATRICKKYLE FITZPATRICK March 31, 2011 at 11:55 AM

Number Five?

PSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

5. Martin Templeton March 31, 2011 at 1:57 PM

How can you *not* be judging someone based on their sex if you only choose to open doors for women – are they somehow enfeebled compared to men?

Why not just do it for, say, *people*.

6. Bobby SolomonBobby Solomon March 31, 2011 at 3:12 PM

@Martin – I would guess that he’s an old fashioned kinda guy and means no disrespect, he simply thinks that women should be treated with more kindness. I can’t imagine a woman, or any person, who doesn’t appreciate the door being held open for them.

7. Tom April 1, 2011 at 11:22 AM

@TheDoctorJones, I think rule 4 contradicts your ideas about the “unwritten subtext”. I think Mr Ford just doesn’t like shorts in any context other than sports. If he was to list every single sporting activity then it would be several pages long. I’ve only seen one interview with him, and only read two interviews with him, but I really struggle to see him as anything other than a very intelligent, thoughtful and very kind man.

8. tib April 3, 2011 at 4:51 PM

this tom guy sounds like a real ass to me

9. interwebs April 4, 2011 at 1:53 AM

Definitely agree with the no shorts/flipflops in the city rule.

Guess you can wear shorts at the weekend if it’s hot, but flipflops always just looks gross and ridiculous.

10. Marc April 5, 2011 at 11:39 AM

Thanks for posting. Seems Ford is alluding to being an old-school gentleman without old school racism. I think he is a class act. Now if only I could afford his clothes…

11. Jen April 5, 2011 at 7:32 PM

Number 3…
    Personally I’d prefer that manners that are based on gender should be done away with in favour unisex common courtesy. When I’m at work (in a male-dominated field) people hold doors for people. But when a man takes it a step further and makes a show of holding the door like a doorman for me I feel pretty awkward. I don’t enjoy being reminded of my gender by someone I consider to be a peer. Once I held open the door for a group of men in a similarly showy way and they got very flustered by the whole thing. I don’t think I’ll try that again. :)

12. Alex April 6, 2011 at 2:39 PM

Nothing new, anyhow repetita iuvant :)