Some Thoughts on Apple’s iPad 2

The Apple iPad 2

The Apple iPad 2

The Apple iPad 2

We all knew it was coming, we just didn’t know what we’d see. The iPad 2 was released today and I don’t think anyone (with reasonable expectations) was disappointed by what they saw. For the newest version of the iPad they’ve made it 33% thinner, so it’s just under a hair smaller than an iPhone 4, as well as 15% lighter. The processor is twice is fast, the graphics performs nine times better and the battery still lasts 10 hours. They’ve also managed to jam in front and rear facing cameras in there, so you can Facetime with friends or shoot video or photos… I guess. The last unique gem is the magnetic cover that protects your iPad, it’s a simple innovation but I’m sure will come in handy. Oh yeah, and it comes in two colors, black and white.

I had my iPad stolen from Kyle’s car last winter, so I’ve been waiting for today announcement with anticipation. I loved my iPad. It’s a device that fills a niche that you didn’t realize was there. It’s easier to handle than a laptop and a richer experience than an iPhone. It’s that perfect middle ground that made it so useful to me. I could lay in bed and send off emails or watch a movie on Netflix. I’m not sure if a camera on the back of the iPad is necessary, but I think the one on the front could be fun. Honestly though, I never Face Time with anyone on my iPhone, so it’s highly unlikely I’ll do it on my iPad.

What I’m really curious to try is the 3G version. If there was one thing I regretted about my last iPad was that I didn’t buy the 3G version. Without a doubt, if I had 3G on that thing I would have used it twice as much as I did, which was a lot. Not being able to connect to the internet everywhere was annoying, since finding WiFi isn’t always the easiest. You’ll definitely see me in line next Friday snagging one of these.

Any other (constructive) thoughts you feel like adding? Drop ’em in the comments.

19 Comments Some Thoughts on Apple’s iPad 2

1. Dmitry March 2, 2011 at 2:11 PM

Bbbut BOBBY

Don’t you feel betrayed that Apple gave you the first iPad, then added new useful features in one year, and expected you to pay again? Aren’t you wasting your cash?

It’s just like all the iPhones!

2012 – The year of the iPad 3.

2. Bobby SolomonBobby Solomon March 2, 2011 at 2:16 PM

@Dmitry – Haha, that’s just how it goes. I’m sure there are lots of people out there who are happy with their iPad and don’t need a new one. If I had my old one still I would have given it to my mom.

3. Julie K March 2, 2011 at 2:42 PM

I’m with @Dmitry. For all of us who just got one over the holidays – that’s 7 weeks ago, it’s yet another one of those dazzling Apple eff the customer moments.

4. Andi Farr March 2, 2011 at 2:43 PM

I don’t think this is for those of us who already have an iPad – it’s just a twist of the knife to Apple’s rivals who couldn’t match the price point in the first place. Basically, the equivalent of stopping halfway through the 400 meters to look back and wave.

@Dmitry: That’s the trouble with buying any tech, ever. Lots of folk said they’d wait for the iPad 2 to pick one up – I’ve got nine months daily use out of mine while they were doing that, with zero complaints.

Not an upgrade for me, but if my iPad broke or was stolen tomorrow, I’d be buying one straight away.

5. Bobby SolomonBobby Solomon March 2, 2011 at 2:49 PM

@Julie K – It shouldn’t come as a surprise though, they reiterate every year. Doesn’t mean you need a new one, they’re trying to lure in new customers by making it newer and shinier.

@Andi Farr – It’s exactly that, they’re staying ahead of the competition. They created a class of computers and everyone is scrambling to catch up, but no one’s even getting close.

6. Kate March 2, 2011 at 2:53 PM

I feel like the iPad 2 wasn’t meant for early adopters to upgrade. Sure, some will, but there aren’t quite enough added features for you to buy a new one (especially every year, as @Dmitry suggests).

I think these small improvements definitely just make the choice easier for the early majority. I wanted an iPad, sure, but like most Apple products I wait until second generation and I wasn’t disappointed by today’s announcement. (I was expecting a tiny price drop, or some address to the crap subscription app business model they’re forcing on publishers but even without those details they’re making a sale on me so I’m sure they were deemed unnecessary.)

Now I’m excited to go and make my purchase. Now what Apple will have is a batch of loyal iPad users from the first generation who have spread the word on the product and proved its usability as well as created enough of a market for more powerful and useful app development PLUS the second batch of iPad users, buying into the product precisely because of its proved usefulness and new feature glow.

It’s no different than any other planned product lifecycle, Apple just does it bigger and better than most.

7. brook March 2, 2011 at 2:55 PM

i’m in agreement. i loved my iPad, but this is a nice upgrade for certain. i’m really tempted to pick this up, but with a kindle and a macbook air, space for the iPad in my life is pretty small… especially since my iPhone 4 can do netflix

8. brook March 2, 2011 at 2:57 PM

Also humorous are people who ask, “does it have flash yet?” since even the XOOM doesn’t actually have flash at this point. And with figures published recently about the rise of h.264 and other HTML5 video, I don’t think Flash is the behemoth it used to be.

9. Bobby SolomonBobby Solomon March 2, 2011 at 3:02 PM

@Brook – I definitely understand the too many products problem. I’m actually going the Frank Chimero route and ditching my desktop for an Air with the iPad as my right hand man.

And yeah, the XOOM is a joke. It can’t even view it’s own homepage, so funny.

10. brook March 2, 2011 at 3:11 PM

@bobby Ha, I think Frank should be getting money from someone as a thank you. His post was one of the main reasons I bought a Macbook Air…

I figured, if someone that awesome at design can do it on a Macbook Air, then it can definitely handle my work.
    Plus, when you plug it into a TV or a large display, it’s the best of both worlds.

The new HDMI connector for iPhone/iPad is pretty amazing too… who needs a Boxee or WDTV or Apple TV if you can just project Netflix from your iOS device.

11. Brennan March 2, 2011 at 3:20 PM

My iPad1 is sitting on my desk in front of me, but it’ll be there for a while to come, I think.

As mentioned above, I don’t think it’s meant to lure the early adopters to buy a new one; I won’t be, anyway. For the web surfing, Netflix watching, Flipboard reading activities I do, there isn’t really a point to having dual cores or more RAM or anything hardware side. Those teeny cameras are a joke when I’m carry around my bag of DSLRs and lenses anyway…

I love my iPad, it really does fill a niche I didn’t know I had, which I would call comfort. It’s just there, somehow more available than a laptop. It’s not a replacement for a laptop, certainly, but it’s not supposed to be.

I’m a PC guy all the way, but the other tablets are hilarious. They’re trying to emulate a full OS on a small scale and it simply isn’t a good idea. I really don’t miss Flash at all, Vimeo and Youtube are HTML5 and that’s really all I would use Flash for…

Anyway,

12. Cory March 2, 2011 at 3:54 PM

I use the first gen iPad everyday, and I think I’m siding with Brennan: it’s super pretty and fast, but the iPad 2 isn’t enough for me to go out right away to pick up. I know I shouldn’t have had my hopes up for a new display, but still. Every time Steve came out on stage I was wondering if he was going to finally announce a retina display for it…

As for getting the 3G version, I’d wait and see how good the iOS 4.3 mobile hotspot works. You do seem to be lacking something with the iPad when you’re not connected to the internet with it.

Chimero really made me think about getting an Air as well, actually. If I were to get one, though, I’d be waiting for an upgrade to come out similar to that of the Macbook Pro. Not sure when that’ll be, though.

13. Brennan March 2, 2011 at 6:23 PM

Oh, I forgot about my hopes in the retina display as well, something nice and crisp. Not that the first gen is horrible for that or anything, but the iphone 4’s sure look great in that respect.

I was looking at the Air, and they just had an update not too long ago. I’m still hesitant on the Mac / PC debate there because you can get a comparable PC laptop (physical size) with better hardware for pretty cheap these days.

I understand how it works, but it still sometimes sucks to have to pay for quality, haha.

14. Daniel March 3, 2011 at 1:49 AM

Possibility of me purchasing this was resting entirely on the very slim odds of it getting the retina display treatment. An insider connection tells me it’s going to be a while considering the battery-life issues they would have to tackle when effectively quadrupling the display’s power usage. All their current battery-life efforts went into just keeping it at 10 hours with the current hardware upgrades.

The thinner/lighter crap is completely unnecessary and counterproductive against the technology. Just more of the impressing the “ooh shiny” demographic. Sigh.

I’ll consider myself $500 richer because of this disappointment. However, I was looking forward to a nice, clean digital portfolio.

15. Kenneth March 3, 2011 at 7:00 AM

If Dmitry was in charge of human development I wonder where we would be now?

It is a strange and shallow jealousy he shows – nothing in his life has changed, why hate the advance? He is exactly where he would be if Apple hadn’t introduced the iPad2.

“The tallest wheat is the first to be cut down.” -Russian Proverb

16. TheDoctorJones March 3, 2011 at 8:59 AM

re: the yearly Apple update.

i LOVE it. the resale value on Apple tech is so good that you can have the shiny new thingamabob for a minimal upgrade cost.

the 32GB Gen 1 iPad is going for about $400 on ebay right now. that means we can sell ours and get the iPad 2 for about $150. that’s awesome.

i tried to resist the allure of Apple (and i still think it’s slightly creepy when you go out and EVERYONE pulls out an iPhone) but i can deny my Apple love no longer. they just do things right. it’s a perfect example of corporate leadership who A) have great taste and B) invest in and fully support great design.

17. YMFY March 3, 2011 at 11:59 AM

Is there a good rss reader for the iPad?

18. Maria March 3, 2011 at 12:00 PM

I won’t be upgrading since I’m quite happy with my V1, but I really would love the option to purchase the magnetic case for my iPad..sadly it’s not available. As a designer, I want color options other than my black case.

19. Hans March 3, 2011 at 1:46 PM

hé Bobby pretty cool our picking one up friday! be sure to take the white one with the cammel color cover, so stylish!