Earlier this morning Radiohead dropped a bomb of an announcement, that they’ll be releasing a brand new album on February 19th titled The King of Limbs. That’s this Saturday! Honestly when I started to read more about it I didn’t think any of it was real. The artistic direction of the album looks really off to me, mostly the font choice. I’m not sure why Stanley Donwood went with this late 90’s rap-rock vibe for this album and not use the standard Radiohead font in white. I wasn’t even sure if it was Donwood but when I looked at the image larger (click the cover above to see a super large version) I realized it was him, which makes sense anyhow. The real reason I believed it was real was that Radiohead.com links to the site.
The album comes in two primary versions. The first is a deluxe Newspaper album which features all kinds of amazing sounding goodies. It seems like they’re going all out to make this a multi-faceted experience, here’s the details:
• Two clear 10″ vinyl records in a purpose-built record sleeve.
• A compact disc.
• Many large sheets of artwork, 625 tiny pieces of artwork and a full-colour piece of oxo-degradeable plastic to hold it all together.
• The Newspaper Album comes with a digital download that is compatible with all good digital media players.
• The Newspaper Album will be shipped on Monday 9th May 2011 you can, however, enjoy the download on Saturday 19th February 2011.
• Shipping is included in the prices shown.
• One lucky owner of the digital version of The King Of Limbs, purchased from this website, will receive a signed 2 track 12″ vinyl.
625 tiny pieces of artwork? Yes, please. I’m curious to see what they do with the clear vinyl, I’m guessing it won’t be as simple as it sounds. If the deluxe version sounds like too much of a commitment you can also download a digital copy in MP3 or WAV form.
It still impresses me how they’re able to do these creative endeavors because they have so many fans. If you think about it, they didn’t do any advertising, they only posted the second image up there on their site which linked to the new site. That’s it. If you’ve heard about this album it will be based on a blog post. Anyhow, I’m excited for the new album, can’t wait to hear it. Maybe I’ll have to throw together a new Radiohead wallpaper?