‘X-Men: First Class’ Trailer – What Do You Think?

X-Men: First Class Trailer

X-Men: First Class Trailer

X-Men: First Class Trailer

Hmmm… the trailer for the upcoming X-Men: First Class just hit the internet and I’m not too excited by what I’m seeing. The entire X-Men franchise has been taking a nose dive since Brett Ratner’s shit storm that was X-Men: The Last Stand, not to mention Wolverine, which was equally as craptastic. Will First Class fair any better? Based on the trailer I’m certainly not convinced. The X-Men are getting involved in the Cuban missile crisis? There’s some sort of pre-Nightcrawler guy running around? Is he gonna’ get down with Mystique and make a baby Nightcrawler? The effects look decent but anyone can do decent computer graphics these days.

What do you think of the trailer? Excited or bummed?

19 Comments ‘X-Men: First Class’ Trailer – What Do You Think?

1. bobby February 10, 2011 at 3:39 PM

it all just seems… unnecessary. maybe if there weren’t already other movies?

reboots are ok, but i mean, reboot the shit out of it.

2. Rob February 10, 2011 at 3:41 PM

X-Men 3 put me off ever watching an X-Men movie again, so I gave Wolverine a miss… with this, I didn’t expect to be interested at all, but it does look halfway-decent!

3. brook February 10, 2011 at 3:44 PM

i’m pretty excited, but mostly because i dig havok, and want to see how fassbender does as magneto.
    oh, and apparently that nightcrawlery dude is called azazel, and he is nightcrawler’s dad. i must have missed that story arc… but, the marvel universe has always been pretty complicated. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azazel_(Marvel_Comics)
    go figure.

4. Daniel February 10, 2011 at 3:56 PM

I’m not gonna’ lie. The little kid in me got pretty excited about this one even though I had previously given up on the franchise. Nostalgia bomb for the more obscure mutants if not anything else.

Also, Kevin Bacon as Sebastian Shaw.

5. Chris February 10, 2011 at 4:06 PM

Bryan Singer is back! I believe he can right the ship. I’m excited.

6. Bobby SolomonBobby Solomon February 10, 2011 at 4:24 PM

@Chris – This one was directed by Matthew Vaughn.

7. Brad Barrish February 10, 2011 at 5:09 PM

Bobby, you’re fucking insane. The film looks incredible and I had a total nerdgasm watching it. My bets are on it being good.

8. Rob February 10, 2011 at 5:13 PM

Im not so sure about Brian Singer and especially not into anything McG has ever touched… this is definitely not getting me excited or keeping my attention for anything X Men related.

What I am anxious to hear more about, is the Darren Aronofsky, Wolverine project.

X Men is way too vanilla and bound for the same fate as the failed Spider Man saga…

9. CSnow February 10, 2011 at 6:23 PM

The trailer makes the movie feel cheap. Or maybe that is just James Mac. And I don’t entirely trust Matthew Vaughn. I only liked “Kick Ass” his other movies were pretty bad. Regardless, growing up with X-Men I have to watch it, but not in theaters

10. Jack Hughes February 11, 2011 at 2:05 AM

I think the choice of music cheapens it quite a lot, but the cast and the premise seem more interesting than the usual.

11. torrans February 11, 2011 at 3:19 AM

i think this good be quite good but this trailer doesn’t really hint at anything spectacular. I suppose the missile crisis is a reference to the x-mens first mission to stop magneto from stealing a load of missiles. i dont have high expectations about this. After the last stand and wolverine i thought they really would have stepped up their game a bit. Aronofsky’s Wolverine is what i’m really looking forward

12. bbb February 11, 2011 at 3:52 AM

certainly a film not worth mentioning on a platform such as kitsune noir

13. Chris February 11, 2011 at 8:26 AM

I probably won’t see it in the theatre, I’ll wait for it to hit Netflix or the movie channels. But I’ll still check it out. I’m intrigued by the prequel idea, but I’m bothered by the cast of characters and their age differences in the actual comics and how they’re somehow in the same timeline together for the movie. “Creative license” I guess.

14. Kate February 11, 2011 at 8:37 AM

For me, no matter how good this movie is it will always be tainted by the last two X Men movies. The whole franchise has steadily gone downhill and, I hate to say this because I absolutely love the comics and because I know many nerds will want to slay me for saying so, the first film wasn’t even that great. I think all of the movies rely far too heavily on their nerd appeal to bring in an audience and please them rather than creating genuinely good films. I see a lot of parallels between this series and the more recent Star Wars films.

Also I think I’m a little suspect of the timing of this film and its setting in time. It feels like it’s riding the Mad Men wave of 60s nostalgia. The problem is that from the trailer it looks like the costumes and props aren’t done with nearly the attention to detail. I know that it is the X-Men and they are different and have more advanced technologies and all that, but what is the point of re-imagining the X Men in the 60s if you are just going to go half ass into the 60s and then pull your audience back out of their suspension of disbelief by having guys in sleeveless hoodies, or current fashions? Were the X Men also aware of future fashion trends? Its lazy and its poor film making. It insults a great comic series and it insults us as viewers and consumers.

I know I am bias but this movie is going to have to be spectacular in order for me to think that it is even okay.

15. tib February 11, 2011 at 8:10 PM

funny how the guy says its not worth mentioning on kitusne yet this has had the most comments for a post ina while. bad actor for xavier imo, too whiny looking.

16. Paul Balcerak February 11, 2011 at 8:24 PM

Here’s my problem with it: It’s got Double Halloween Costume Syndrome. You know those kids who can’t decide what they want to be for Halloween, so they end up going as, say, a football player but also a zombie? It’s too much — pick one or the other.

Here, we’ve got a comic book movie and a period piece (a lazy one at that, as Kate mentioned). How many average moviegoers are going to see this trailer and think, “X-Men 5…the pre(?)quel…in the 1960s…all right!”? And how many — really, how many — nerds are going to think, “Yay! A movie version of Havoc whose origin is completely fucked up!”

I’m not going to write this off completely — at least not until I see the finished product (on DVD) — but it has quite a lot working against it from the look of things.

17. bbbb February 12, 2011 at 11:53 AM

my apologies, if you’re looking for more substance through comments in favour of subject, might i suggest the trifle over at av club

18. Luc February 12, 2011 at 7:08 PM

I really love the comics and when the trailer started i was like: oh, thats interesting, i think the music was helping it, seems synchronized. BUT THEN appears Emma Frost turing into diamond, I mean if you are filming something that suppose to be happened in the 60’s don’t go putting something of 2005 just because you think it’s SPARKLING.

19. Grant February 13, 2011 at 10:09 AM