Re-Covered Books: ‘Lord of the Flies’

Re-Covered Books: Lord of the Flies

Lord of the Flies

Lord of the Flies

When I was in high school one of my favorite books, hands down, was Lord of the Flies. Written in 1954 by William Golding, the book takes a look at human nature and how we act when we lose the constructs of civilization. It was easy for me to imagine being on trapped on that island, but I was never sure which side I would be on.

I figured this would be a good book to take on for our second round of Re-Covered Books. The first contest, featuring The Great Gatsby, was a pretty great success and there were a lot of really beautiful entries from people around the world. A book like Lord of the Flies is filled a ton of really great imagery and plenty of visuals to inspire your creative process. As with last time the prize is a $100 Amazon gift card and having your work featured on the site. I’ve also made some modifications to the rules so please take a look below.

• Your images must be no larger than 800px wide at 72 DPI, no height restrictions (within reason). Feel free to play with the dimensions and have fun with what you make. Making a front and back cover with certainly help your chances but is not required.

• Send all entries to contest@thefoxisblack.com with the subject “Re-Covered Books: The Lord of the Flies“. Just cut and paste what I wrote there. It’s super easy and it helps me keep track of entries.

• All entries are due February 25th, 2011 by Midnight, PST.

If there are any other questions feel free to leave them in the comments. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with and be sure to tell your friends if you think they’d enjoy being a part of the fun. Good luck!

Matthew Gore

Barclay Douglas

Barclay Douglas

Alonzo Felix

Alonzo Felix

Alonzo Felix

Alonzo Felix

22 Comments Re-Covered Books: ‘Lord of the Flies’

1. sean patrick February 2, 2011 at 4:01 PM

dang! you work quick!

2. w February 2, 2011 at 4:31 PM

Do they have to be by hand, or is digital illustration acceptable too?

3. Justin Pronovost February 3, 2011 at 10:08 AM

Yes! A great excuse to reread my favorite book from high school

4. Em February 4, 2011 at 11:08 AM

Ha, I was just thinking what book you would do next.. I was in the class that did not study this book in high school, ours did To Kill A Mockingbird… I was hoping you would choose that!
    I think it’s time I picked up a copy of this..

5. Daniel February 6, 2011 at 4:58 PM

If you want to keep your creative motivation, I urge you not to look at Sam Weber’s complete and utter domination of almost every meaningful symbol in the book.

6. Bobby SolomonBobby Solomon February 6, 2011 at 11:35 PM

@Daniel – While Sam’s work is brilliant it doesn’t mean that his is the end all be all of covers. There are millions of different adaptions and versions that someone could take, it’s just a matter of interpretation and creativity.

7. Sean February 7, 2011 at 7:30 PM

You just had to pick a book that, thee Sam Weber absolutely dominated. hmm I think I’ll give it try. Hopefully It wont over come school work…

8. Brian M February 9, 2011 at 6:19 PM

I am working on an entry…
    do people like the bar code added?
    Should I estimate a Canadian price, too??

9. Bobby SolomonBobby Solomon February 9, 2011 at 6:19 PM

@Brian M – Haha, a barcode is not necessary but feel free to add one if you like.

10. josh retterer February 10, 2011 at 3:37 AM

thank for showcasing the entries so far. Beautiful work by everyone and a fun challenge.

11. jeremy February 17, 2011 at 7:24 AM

awesome work by David Huyck and Bryce Wilner. looks awesome guys.

12. Patricia February 19, 2011 at 9:30 PM

Jeremy Hughes has an interesting looking concept there. Love the simplicity of Steve St. Pierre’s. Wish I had time to participate this time but I couldn’t take time away from school to read the book.

13. eringeld February 22, 2011 at 7:49 AM

one of the first affecting books i remember reading. my votes are for ryan vance and devin watson. covers with the pig’s head is too blunt and gives it away.

14. Steve St. Pierre February 22, 2011 at 9:10 AM

Ameesha Lee Earnshaw’s entry kicked my ass.

15. H James Lucas February 24, 2011 at 11:49 AM

I have to say that I’m a fan of Mr. Vance’s imagery even if I’m on the fence about his typography. I think the image does a great job of capturing the the typicalness of the boys that’s fundamental at both the start and the finish of the story and juxtaposes fabulously with the rawness of the title.

16. Ande Peden February 25, 2011 at 2:29 AM

I was just wondering if any more entries will get posted and how the contest will play out etc.

But so far I’m a fan of the Bryce S. Wilner simplicity and symbolism, then again the Cory Shmitz cover is delightfully simple and effective too! Bravo all round.

17. Julia Kostreva February 25, 2011 at 4:31 PM

Wow! Strong concepts and imagery from Steve St. Pierre, Bryce S. Wilner, Timo Meyer, Braulio Amado, Brian Miller, ene13. These all really hit the feeling of the book for me. Boys, power, fear… a little disgusting… a little nightmare-ish.

18. Jesse Penico February 26, 2011 at 8:28 PM

Those last two are great! They are also linking to my website still. Just an fyi.

19. Ben Somogyi February 28, 2011 at 6:59 PM

Timo Meyer’s submission is phenomenal. I wish I could buy prints of these.

20. Nathaniel Hebert March 29, 2011 at 2:06 PM

My favourite of the bunch is Devin Watson’s by far; the more I think of it, the more hidden context I peel away. The whole parallel, between the expulsion of paradise and the novel is such a lovely concept, and so well executed too.

I was surprised how many entries played around with the usual cliches associated with The Lord of the Flies. I suppose execution, can be a “sort of” concept as well.

If anyone is interested, I wrote up the process involved with my entry at:

Cheers!