100,000 Starlings Fill The Skies

100,000 Starlings Fill The Skies

100,000 Starlings Fill The Skies

Take a moment to think, can you imagine what a hundred thousand birds would look like flying through the sky? Personally, I wouldn’t know what to think. Maybe a ton of birds ramming into each other and crashing to the ground? Amazingly though, the answer is the patterns you see in the video above. I’m sure that I’ve seen photos of such a phenomenon but it’s exciting to see all of these starlings moving together in such chaotic unity. It’s almost surreal, like what you’re seeing shouldn’t be possible. Even so it’s a beautiful sight which I’m glad was captured. Do you think you can hear the roar of their wings as they pass by?

8 Comments 100,000 Starlings Fill The Skies

1. Jack January 27, 2011 at 4:01 AM

It’s like this english advert from a year or so ago that managed to combine an awful song from an awful band with an awful beer and make something inescapably non-awful and even moving.

2. Mark Rigler January 27, 2011 at 4:28 AM

> Do you think you can hear the roar of their wings as they pass by?

Unfortunatly the traffic noise drowns out the sound of the starlings, when you can hear them it it’s like wooshing sound fx you hear on tv.

Thanks for featuring the videos

Mark

3. Jess January 27, 2011 at 6:10 AM

Oh, I love it when blackbirds & starlings do this! Where I live, it happens from about October through March. One year, the flock (gang? herd?) actually decided to roost briefly in our front yard. The lawn and trees were totally black with grackles & starlings and the CACOPHONY of their chatter was deafening! Nature is magical, isn’t she?

4. Megan January 27, 2011 at 9:53 AM

For about five months there’s a group similar to this within three blocks of my apartment. It’s beautiful but almost a little scary; they block out the light! I’ve never once heard any noise from their wings as the area they inhabit is a junction of several expressways…but I can tell you the chirping they create upon landing on the wires is deafening!

5. Lauren January 27, 2011 at 11:40 AM

I would love to sit and watch with headphones on…

6. Liz January 27, 2011 at 4:30 PM

Living in the Midwest, you see a lot of these Starling flocks, and they look and sound every bit as surreal and magical in real life. Seriously, they’re incredible. You’ll be driving in the middle of nowhere on a straight road in a flat landscape, and from out of the corn fields swells up this huge mass of thousands of thousands of little tiny birds, all flying in incredible synchronization. It’s one of the few truly captivating sights you’ll get in the Corn Belt.

7. Liz January 27, 2011 at 4:52 PM

They also look like the Smoke Monster from Lost.

8. Louise February 1, 2011 at 5:43 AM

In Denmark we call this ‘Sort Sol’ meaning ‘Black Sun’http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sort_sol_(bird_flock)
    It is truly an amazing sight!