The Ghost Project; An Interview Series by Kartell

The Ghost Project by Kartell

The Ghost Project by Kartell

I was recently asked to be a part of series of shorts produced by Kartell called The Ghost Project, featuring Philippe Starck’s classic Louis Ghost Chair in the homes of creative people living in Los Angeles. I had the chair for less than a week, but it was beautiful to have around, albeit kind of weird. It’s an amazingly sturdy piece of furniture but, because it’s clear, it’s sort weird at the same time. The idea of a piece of furniture being invisible, yet highly supportive at the same time, seems like an oxymoron–but it’s true in the case of the Ghost Chair.

The video also gives you a tiny sneak peak into the new apartment I moved into with my boyfriend Kyle. It’s been about a month now, so we’re pretty moved in. But, of course, there’s always more to do. And, to answer your question, yes, that is a giant walnut on the dining room table.

You can see a couple more videos on The Ghost Project website, one with Alissa Walker & Keith Scharwath and another with Nathan Ryan of Proxart, with more on the way.

6 Comments The Ghost Project; An Interview Series by Kartell

1. Scott January 26, 2011 at 10:37 AM

They didn’t let you each keep the chair? WTF!

2. Lauren Fundora January 26, 2011 at 11:00 AM

this is great bobby! I love to see this behind the scenes stuff. Nice book collection!

3. Ryan January 26, 2011 at 11:02 AM

My wife and I had about 100 Ghost Chairs at our wedding which took place in a converted steel foundry in Montreal (now an art space) – the juxtaposition of the ethereal quality of the chair against the industrial backdrop was really beautiful!

They’re also very comfortable and made a huge impression on our guests – much like the rest of the event! So much nicer than traditional wedding rental stuff.

I’m still hoping to bring one home one day!

4. sd January 27, 2011 at 1:56 AM

My girl has two. Goes pretty neatly with mixture of other chairs..

5. mike January 27, 2011 at 9:58 AM

The real question is…where did you get that giant walnut? I’d love one

6. Bobby SolomonBobby Solomon January 27, 2011 at 11:29 AM

@Scott – Sadly, no.

@Lauren – Thanks, between my boyfriend and I we’ve got a nice collection going.

@Ryan – That sounds amazing! I thought it was totally comfy as well, I would love to have a dinner table filled with them.

@Mike – I got the walnut from an antique store in my home town. It’s a giant walnut holder/cracker, it’s pretty amazing.