Shepard Fairey Interview with Gestalten

Shepard Fairey Interview with Gestalten

Shepard Fairey Interview with Gestalten

In my continued effort to post interesting pieces by people who inspire me I wanted to share this interview with Shepard Fairey that publishers Gestalten has just released. It covers some of the basic stuff like what inspires him, but it also touches upon the recently cleared up lawsuit with the Associated Press over his use of a photo of Obama. His point is that he re-appropriated the image and made his own, something that artists like Warhol and Rauschenberg made their careers around doing similar work.

I feel like Shepard Fairey is kind of a polarizing artist, you might love him or hate him. For me personally he was a huge inspiration and really started me out on my path into art and design. To me he’s extremely talented and has a very pure vision of what he wants to create, and his creations know no bounds. That might mean clothing or art prints, of which I own both, but it seems like he’s pretty happy doing what he’s doing, and isn’t that the point?

6 Comments Shepard Fairey Interview with Gestalten

1. sheila January 20, 2011 at 10:41 AM

really enjoyed that video – thanks for sharing. I admire his work and it’s nice to get a bit of background on it. cheers

2. Brandon January 20, 2011 at 11:02 AM

Fairey is extremely interesting.

The Obama lawsuit was fairly absurd–it was such an obvious change of purpose and medium that it shouldn’t have been brought up in court at all.

But I still have trouble accepting Fairey as great because of how much of his other work is appropriated–its hard for me to accept taking images from civil rights movements and using them as items of style or fashion without connection to their original purpose (sometimes, as in the case with his borrowed nazi S.S. Skull, not even looking into where an image came from). I also have a problem with him working through the medium of appropriation and then threatening and pursuing lawsuits against others when they appropriate parts and ideas from images that he has made.

I would be narrow if I didn’t also mention that I too find his images inviting and do appreciate the way he has brought streetpostering and branding in imagery to the front of arts conversations. I also very much enjoy the style of his portraiture.

I just find some of earlier work fairly shady and possibly insulting.

3. Bobby SolomonBobby Solomon January 20, 2011 at 11:25 AM

@Brandon – Yeah, I totally agree with what you’re saying. He’s definitely in the past pulled the same dumb lawsuit stuff against other people doing something similar.

To me what’s most important are his overall contributions. I think it’s undeniable that he ushered street art into the world at large and probably influenced a lot of people along the way. I mean, he’s been doing this stuff since the early 90’s.

4. Scien January 20, 2011 at 11:53 AM

I totally agree with you Bobby!
    It’s nice to see people still supporting his art, it is so easy to hate on Him these days. Maybe because all what he does is very successful.

5. Brandon January 20, 2011 at 1:12 PM

@ Bobby

Definitely agree, there is no denying how huge a role he has in popularizing street art which I think (hope) is a good thing. And if I’m a little more honest, I’m fairly sure that his work is some of what first got me interested in street art as well.

6. Zim2687 January 23, 2011 at 1:25 AM

not tell what is the first song played in this video?