Building A Better NERF Gun

Building A Better Nerf Gun

Building A Better Nerf Gun

This post is mostly for my friend Ryan, who is a giant NERF lover and has possibly gone out of his way to modify NERF guns before. But this goes beyond modification and into the realm of fabrication. It was created by a New Zealander named Simon who wanted to see if he could build a better NERF gun.

While I’m not 100% sure that he built a better NERF gun he certainly built one that’s just as good, if not a little more accurate. For me I just like how it ended up looking. It reminds me a lot of Princess Amidala’s laser pistol from the Star Wars prequels. At the same time I get kind of a minimal, MUJI sort of vibe to it. Sorry if you were expecting any sort of technical stuff in here, I’m just impressed by it’s sharp looks. Under the cut is a video of Simon explaining how the gun works an a little demo of him comparing it to a real NERF gun.

Found through Make

6 Comments Building A Better NERF Gun

1. Jeremy January 19, 2011 at 7:58 AM

This thing is beautiful, totally want one of those.

2. Ben King January 19, 2011 at 8:11 AM

I don’t get MUJI from this… I get “frightening Spook gun for illegal targeted killings.” But at least it’s more accurate. Maybe next time MAKE can cut to the chase and whip up a creepy home-made pistol that both looks evil AND fires real bullets. In the meantime we can all just watch the “Munich” bike pump assassination scene and “Lady Vengeance” for inspiration.

3. Bobby SolomonBobby Solomon January 19, 2011 at 8:27 AM

@Ben King – Yeah, I guess if taken out of context it could be scary. I guess I have enough faith in people to think they wouldn’t do something dumb with a fake weapon.

4. robonaut January 19, 2011 at 10:10 AM

I’m not sure how this is better? I mean, sure it looks different, but the original fires many in a row, where this seems to only fire one?

5. Marqie ZG January 19, 2011 at 12:52 PM

@Robonaut

As from what I can tell in the video, it’s certainly much more accurate and definitely more powerful. Almost all of the NERF ammo stuck to bender while none of the ones the Maverick shot did.

However, it certainly does fire at a slower rate because of the fact you have to manually insert one at a time.

I still find it nice looking.

6. Michael January 21, 2011 at 11:48 AM

Haha OMG I totally have the yellow Nerf gun in the picture and definitely modded it to shoot farther/harder. Every design/ad office needs to have employees packing foam heat.