‘Battle: Los Angeles’ Raises The Bar For The Alien Destruction Genre

Battle: Los Angeles

Battle: Los Angeles

Battle: Los Angeles

I’m a big nerd for anything science fiction. It was probably my mom exposing me to lots of Star Wars growing up or my fascination with comic books. Whatever it was when I see a trailer like this one for Battle: Los Angeles I get really excited. Now don’t get me wrong, I’m not some mook who goes out and sees Transformers (though the next one looks hysterical), I have a highly refined taste for films like Blade Runner, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Cloverfield, Minority Report or even The Fifth Element. And as far as I can tell from the previews, this might be near to a Cloverfield-style movie.

The fact that they got Aaron Eckhart to be in it is also impressive. He’s got a great track record of picking good movies to star in so hopefully that holds some weight. With a movie like this I’m not looking for a ton of depth, I’m looking to have fun. Movies like these are like roller coasters. You go in to a dark theater to jump and scream with other people and 2 hours later you come out laughing and smiling.

I honestly don’t know much about this movie other than what I’ve gleaned from the trailer, an approach I’ve started taking with movies. I’d rather go in completely oblivious than know plot twists or surprise endings. I guess I really am getting old.

6 Comments ‘Battle: Los Angeles’ Raises The Bar For The Alien Destruction Genre

1. yachris January 13, 2011 at 5:08 AM

Wanting to be surprised by a movie, and see it as its creator intended, is an old thing? Not sure I understand…

2. Denis January 13, 2011 at 6:54 AM

I want one for each city in the world!!!!

But why always USofA? I would love to see Battle: London instead! :D

3. Brandon January 13, 2011 at 10:24 AM

I really like how much the trailer focuses more on the sound composition than the spectacle. The trailers make it feel like the filmmakers were as trying to be as ambitious about the scale of the film as Michael Bay, but keep it down the earth. In so doing, they may be able to excel in the one place that Bay hasn’t: sound.

To push the theory further, I hope this is where the epic films are moving toward anyway, ala allowing Daft Punk to play with the overall sound composition in “Tron Legacy,” rather than just the score.

4. Damion January 13, 2011 at 10:28 AM

That was an awesome trailer. I’m super excited to see this now.

5. Sean January 13, 2011 at 8:29 PM

uhhhh. AMAZING! Blackhawk Down meets Independence Day. :D

6. Bob January 14, 2011 at 2:51 PM

The trailer makes it look amazing! Movies rarely live up to them but a man can hope can’t he?