‘The Tree of Life’

I must admit that I know the name Terence Malick and I know he directed The Thin Red Line but sadly I’ve never seen any of his films before. But now with his new movie The Tree of Life I realized I need to get to seeing more of his films. The Tree of Life stars Brad Pitt, Sean Penn and Jessica Chastain in “a tale of a Midwestern boy’s journey from the innocence of childhood to his disillusioned adult years as a “lost soul in the modern world”, and his quest to regain meaning in life.” Sounds like an interesting plot and from what I saw in the trailer visually it looks amazing. He has a very human, almost reality TV sense of shooting that makes you feel like you’re actively participating in a scene.

The film comes out March 27, 2011.

9 Comments ‘The Tree of Life’

1. Stacey T. December 16, 2010 at 1:46 PM

Agreed that this one looks amazing. I recommend his “Days of Heaven” and “The New World”.

2. Ben Carlson December 16, 2010 at 3:11 PM

I like seeing big name actors in movies like this that are (hopefully) more artistic than Hollywood cookie cutter.

3. Ian MacLeod December 16, 2010 at 3:19 PM

Bobby! I’m shocked you haven’t seen any of his films! No judgment though, I’m excited for you. I wish I could go back and watch ‘Days of Heaven’ for the first time. A stunning wide-shot during magic hour with people rushing to catch a moving train…unforgettable. Please check it out. You won’t regret. Cheers!

4. Jun December 17, 2010 at 7:55 PM

Terence Malik’s films are a cinematic treat. The cinematography in his films (The Thin Red Line) are so beautiful and breathtaking. I hope you enjoy the rest of his films as much as I have.

5. J Dubbs December 17, 2010 at 9:09 PM

just saw the trailer for ‘The Tree of Life’ today at the theatres actually – it looks pretty amazing! Will most def go check it out

6. Steven December 18, 2010 at 5:03 PM

I find Malick’s films to be constantly hovering on the edge between beautifully reflective and painfully studied to the point of being precious.

The New World is the shit end of the stick. A big part of that is because Colin Farrell is a drooling pretty-boy moron. On the other hand, The Thin Red Line may be the most transcendent film about war ever made. See it.

7. Elias December 19, 2010 at 3:25 PM

Bobby you’ve got to watch days of heaven and especially badlands!!

8. Mohamed December 22, 2010 at 2:20 PM

Malick’s best movie is definitively badlands.
    A master piece.

I repeat, a master piece.

9. xtiaan March 24, 2011 at 8:55 PM

that looks amazing AND it has a soundtrack by clint mansell! (remember pop will eat itself?, no? ok he also did pi and requiem for a dream)