CreativeMornings Talk with Bobby Solomon

It was weird writing that title since I’m writing about myself but I guess it’s the appropriate one. For those who weren’t able to make it out or y’know, live in another country, here is the talk I gave a couple weeks back at CreativeMornings. I know a lot of you expressed an interest in watching this so here it is! I’m not sure how informative it’ll be but I think it might give you a chuckle or two at the very least. I had a blast speaking as well, it’s quite fun to try and motivate a group of creative people, especially those who live here in Los Angeles, the town I love.

Big thanks yet again to Jon Setzen and Tina Roth Eisenberg for the opportunity!

26 Comments CreativeMornings Talk with Bobby Solomon

1. Paul November 22, 2010 at 6:52 PM

Congratulations on the talk, great to hear first hand the rise and rise of Kitsune Nior. Has been a long time favourite, it always feels like a nice cosy corner of the web to relax and enjoy constant source if joy – as you say about the intrusion of advertising these days.
    Always inspires me to work hard at my own ideas.

Paul

PS. Site looks really nice and clean, reminds me to give mine some tlc

2. Dan Rowan November 22, 2010 at 7:14 PM

I never knew you were from Sacramento! I live and grew up in Sac and have been pursuing design, art, music, and blogging more recently. I enjoyed your talk and it definitely inspired me to keep pushing. Thanks Bobby!

3. manuel November 22, 2010 at 8:44 PM

Big fans down here in Costa Rica :)

Nice to hear the story behind tfib, specially being one of the few blogs I read everyday! I can really relate to the “I didn’t know what to do, just started doing what I love” part.

We made some foxyboxy stuff recently, just thought you might enjoy it: http://on.fb.me/fhGgAr

Cheers!

4. Jon November 22, 2010 at 10:17 PM

Thanks for your enthusiasm and your inspiring talk. It was really great. – jon

5. Philip November 23, 2010 at 3:35 AM

Really enjoyed the talk – very inspiring!

6. Mike November 23, 2010 at 4:32 AM

Loved the talk, one of the funniest and most inspiring :D

7. Amelia November 23, 2010 at 4:50 AM

Hi Bobby,
    I feel like I’ve been reading Kitsune Noir/The Fox is Black for ages, and I’m one of those people who reads reads reads and rarely comments. But I just wanted to say, it was really nice to hear your take on how the site started. “If you do what you love, there will be people in the world who will love it” is such a worthwhile and important sentiment, and it’s even better to hear it from someone who’s tastes and ideas I respect. Thanks for sharing the talk with us international peeps and keep up the good work!

8. Micah Lindenberger November 23, 2010 at 11:15 AM

Great talk bobby! I agreed with alot of things you where saying about how more things need to be curated, and the internet sometimes has way too much shit in it…thats why I keep coming to this site! It’s always great stuff, and just the right amount :) Keep it up!

9. Aanisa November 23, 2010 at 11:32 AM

/\ above comment, spot on!

very rarely comment on anything on online also, you’ve pretty much summed up the rest.

talk was well worth a listen!

10. Brandon November 23, 2010 at 1:52 PM

Shoot! I wish I had known and had gone! I guess I’m just too new a reader of the fox is black. Next time, Bobby, their will be at least one more in the crowd.

Great job on the presentation and great site.

11. João November 23, 2010 at 3:52 PM

Thanks for the link Bobby!

12. Charlie November 23, 2010 at 5:47 PM

nice! very well spoken. and I appreciate how humble you are about this great website that I (and plenty of others) have grown to love.

on a sidenote: the last portion reminds me of one of those disguised interviews that they do on tv; where the interviewee doesn’t want their identity revealed. thought that was funny.

13. Scott November 23, 2010 at 9:01 PM

You’ve really inspired me to get my blog happening again.
    Working on the redesign and teaching myself wordpress…
    Thanks so much!

14. richiee November 24, 2010 at 4:02 AM

Good job on the presentation! Keep it up.

15. bjorno November 24, 2010 at 9:13 AM

Congrats Bobby! long time fan of you and tina!

16. saer {craven maven} November 25, 2010 at 11:26 AM

Was quite interesting to hear you speak about the birth and progress of KN/TFiB. It’s always to hear how things develop and work out well from people when they start out as doing what a person loves and believes in. It encourages me to keep on that’s for sure.

It was also nice to hear you talk about Danica and Alex’s addition, I was skeptical when you started looking for help as I felt the voice of KN could change and it has, for the better. I really look forward to Space Suit of the Week and Danica’s stylin’ Aussie eye.. I can’t imagine KN without them.

Would be great if you gave a similar presentation in NY.

17. Lisanne November 25, 2010 at 1:10 PM

This is a very inspiring presentation. Thanks for that! I must admit I immediately went to doglr.tumblr.com to see what you were talking about and it’s really funny. So thanks for that too! You made my day! Twice!

18. Hernan Valencia December 22, 2010 at 5:51 PM

Thanks for putting this up. If I had known you were doing this ahead of time, I would’ve driven from vegas to see ya. Love your honesty.

19. Rebecca January 9, 2011 at 8:54 AM

Super conférence, très intéressante. J’aime beaucoup ta simplicité et ton honnêteté. C’est chouette de se dire que, même si on vient d’une petite ville et qu’on a pas de réseau social, on peut quand même faire quelque chose de passionnant et rencontrer des gens passionnants.
    Longue vie au renard noir !

20. wallo February 3, 2011 at 9:50 AM

I FINALLY know how to say Kitsune.

Good talk though. High five.

21. Ana February 19, 2011 at 4:40 PM

I truly get inspired by what you’re doing and what you have accomplished. I believe you are doing a great job contributing to the design/art community, specially as a self-taught designer. Loved the speech which felt more like a conversation with a peer.

Kudos!

22. Annie February 24, 2011 at 12:22 AM

I was the girl who flew from Hawaii! I really enjoyed your lecture and learned a lot that day. It was very inspiring and motivating, thank you. Please stay awesome! :)

23. Adrian March 4, 2011 at 8:34 AM

add Mexico to that list.

24. MURU April 4, 2011 at 7:11 AM

you also got chile, really your blog it´s amazing and has really inspired me

25. Andrew Lyons April 5, 2011 at 1:37 AM

I enjoyed watching your video, it’s nice to have a bit of background on your blog, as I’m a new reader, and I check in everyday for new posts. Greetings from france!