Spirit of ’77

My buddies over at OMFGco have been quite busy lately with their newest endeavor Spirit of ’77, a brand new sports bar in Portland. I think the bar has been open for maybe a week now but all my homies up in Portland have been raving over the place saying how much fun it is. I’m ultra-impressed by that giant Spirit of ’77 sign they installed and if you look behind the bar, it’s a custom made basketball style floor. These guys should be incredibly proud of what they’ve done with the space, it looks amazing. If you’re in the Portland area be sure to stop by and say hi, they’re having Happy Hour from 4 to 6 tonight.

Spirit of ’77
500 NE MLK Jr Blvd.
Portland, OR 97232

12 Comments Spirit of ’77

1. Nostalgia October 15, 2010 at 5:11 PM

“I’m getting tired of nostalgia. Why don’t we concentrate more on the future and stop living in the past? I’m talking to you design blogs.” 1:53 PM Oct 13th via web

2. Bobby SolomonBobby Solomon October 15, 2010 at 5:32 PM

@Nostalgia – That’s cute that you don’t even put your name. This is the reason I don’t like comments, but I see what you’re trying to do. I never said I wouldn’t post about anything old ever, you’re inferring that. I’m personally tired of blogs that focus on nothing but older things.

There’s also the fact that I want to support my friends who’ve started a new endeavor and deserve some recognition.

What do you think of that, Oakland coward?

IP Address
    Host 173-11-125-25-SFBA.hfc.comcastbusiness.net
    Location US, United States
    City Oakland, CA –

3. JAson October 15, 2010 at 6:19 PM

@NOSTALGIA I’m glad you feel that way. Maybe all the “design blogs” can start catering all of their posts to whatever your nameless/faceless desires are. This could be the spark that ignites sweeping change in the design industry thus starting the ironically named “NOSTALGIA-era”. That is until you tire of that, begin opining for the old days under the handle “FUTURISTIC”. I can’t wait.

4. Bobby SolomonBobby Solomon October 15, 2010 at 6:27 PM

@Jason – i think you might be sticking up for me, but I’m not sure what you’re saying… : )

5. JAson October 15, 2010 at 6:48 PM

I’m just goofing around. I’m not trying to make any real point. The bar looks fun. I wish your friends the best of luck.

6. Brian Park October 15, 2010 at 8:29 PM

Wow, overreaction much? Bobby he raised a valid point (that you are often seemingly at odds with your perceived dislike of nostalgia) and you have no idea how he meant it. You dont need to make “an example” of anyone here.

7. jeremy pelley October 15, 2010 at 11:20 PM

Bobby, thanks for the love and support. Next time you are in Portland we are buying you a beer (or three) and doing a group chest-bump. And then playing multi-player b-ball arcade on our hand-made game at the bar. And then drinking more.

And a brief note on nostalgia: Um, who cares? The point is to try to make good things that people enjoy. If it’s inspired from the old, great. If it’s inspired from the new, fantastic. Get over it and make something awesome. Let’s all let good decisions lead the way, not some dogmatic predilections.

At the end of the day, it’s all about having fun. Let us not forget this.

8. Will Bryant October 16, 2010 at 7:13 AM

I’m visiting Portland in November and I’m so excited about seeing this place in person! It looks amazing. I’m into sports, signage, woodwork, good beer, and soaking up nostalgia…so Spirit of 77 is dreamy to me.

Also, this isn’t pure nostalgia…don’t y’all see those big pumpin’ plasmas on the wall!?! I guess if they were oversized ipads mounted on the wall, it’d be more futuristic.

9. m October 16, 2010 at 10:43 AM

what typeface is “Spirit of 77” set in?

10. jeremy pelley October 16, 2010 at 10:46 PM

the sign is set in a font called “Brothers”, and we used the alt “R” in Spirit.

11. Erik October 20, 2010 at 11:45 AM

I think there is definitely a good time and place for nostalgia. A sports bar dedicated to our hometown Blazers seems like an ideal location for a bit of it. I definitely had a good time at that place.