Sean Parker and the Notion of Disruption

In a recent Vanity Fair interview with Sean Parker, the guy who helped launch both Napster and Facebook, there’s a brief paragraph about the lack of “revolutionary thinkers” these days. He then goes on and mentions the phrase “disruptive technologies”, which for whatever reason has grabbed my imagination. There’s something quite interesting about the thought that the most revolutionary medium available today is the Internet. It’s pervasive in nearly all the corners of the world and has the potential to speak with millions of people. But what if we take that idea and apply it to everything we do in our day to day lives?

So I’ve been trying to figure out ways to “disrupt” my normal, day-to-day experiences, even in the smallest ways. When I write blog posts I don’t do a write-up about the press release I was sent, and if I see an idea being posted on every major blog I usually try to steer clear of it. I have no interest in regurgitating the same crap that everyone else does, I don’t want to post about your minimal, movie poster or your books that look like social networks. I want to write about things that inspire people and get people thinking about things that they normally wouldn’t.

Do I always accomplish this? Nope. But it’s something I think about a lot and try to remain conscious of when I do write. The same thing should be said of design. I’m totally guilty of aging fonts to make them older and using the same old typefaces over and over. Why? Because it’s comfortable. I know that people find these things aesthetically pleasing (myself included) and so I continue to use it, like a trusty tool in a toolbox.

What I’m becoming curious about and trying to do more of is expand my comfort zone and create things that might make people uncomfortable because they’re unfamiliar. Things that are outside the realm of the norm or change in general can usually freak people out. This is a great example of disruption and something that excites me.

If you have any ideas you want to share click the title and leave a comment or a thought of your own.

7 Comments Sean Parker and the Notion of Disruption

1. Carson September 10, 2010 at 2:53 PM

And that’s why I read this blog. Thanks.

2. iwishihadtaste September 10, 2010 at 3:33 PM

You just succeeded, in a small way, by disrupting the way I thought about that VF paragraph, and inspired me to rethink certain everyday actions. Thank you.

3. Corey Thompson September 10, 2010 at 7:43 PM

Enjoyed the article. Interested to see what you make that is outside of your comfort zone. Only idea I could think of is, maybe you could make more stuff with your hands. For example a lot of your mixtape covers are digital illustrations. What if started painting them, made paper-crafts for them, or started experimenting with animated gifs. It’s just a first idea, but that idea could lead to something very unfamiliar.

4. charis pooncharis poon September 10, 2010 at 9:39 PM

I consider Kitsune Noir a carefully curated collection. I am never quite sure what to expect from the posts and I am always constantly surprised, mostly pleasantly but sometimes in ways that I’m uncomfortable with or wonder why you, Danica or Alex might pick some thing, person, design, illustration to feature. When I am uninterested I may skip over things, but I’m challenged to consider new aesthetics rather than pass things by complacently. The analogy in my head is that this website has become an eclectic gallery and though I may not always enjoy what’s on display or find it particularly inspiring I’ve developed trust in the curator’s choices and know I will find something new.

5. Sebastian B September 11, 2010 at 1:07 AM

I take a look on this blog almost every day and especially in the beginning I was fascinated about the way of choosing topics in here.

You really have personal and alternative content and after I read this post I became much clearer about your aims and the way you write.

My idea to get more disruptive would be that sometimes you do it the other way round. Get out of your comfort zone, throw yourself in something very unfamiliar to you and tell the world about your thinking about that.

My English is not the best but I hope that you can understand it.

6. Drew September 11, 2010 at 10:44 AM

As far as I’m concerned, you’re already doing it in your blog Bobby!

But yea, I’m definitely feeling the urge to create, disrupt, affect someone in some way.

7. xtiaan March 27, 2011 at 10:30 PM

nice blog but the interwebs is hardly “pervasive”, a third of the population of the world is yet to even make a phonecall, let alone log on