Brand New Looney Tunes Cartoon

It looks like Warner Bros. is trying to make a comeback with a new CG version of a Wile E. Coyote and Road Runner cartoon called Coyote Falls. I always wondered why they didn’t try to rebuild the Looney Tunes brand in some way, either with something like CG or having a unique illustrator rethink the characters.

The clip above looks really promising, I’m actually quite excited to see the whole episode. It still feels like the classic Looney Tunes style but the computer graphics definitely give it a new, exciting feeling. I’m even inclined to say that something like the clip above would be amazing to see. In 3D, and I’m one of those guys who hates 3D.

10 Comments Brand New Looney Tunes Cartoon

1. MZA August 5, 2010 at 12:52 PM

all i can think of after reading that is how awesome a 3d cartoon (not cg) would be.

2. Cam August 5, 2010 at 1:24 PM

This looks amazing, way better than the 3D retrofit Disney used in creating Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. Can’t wait to get my kids watching some all new slapstick violence!

3. emcguire August 5, 2010 at 2:23 PM

Awesome, the studio I work at (Reel FX in Dallas) animated this entire short. We watched it at our studio here, and while I won’t give anything away, personally I thought it was some of our best work. Unfortunately it’s showing before Cats and Dogs 2 :] Hope you enjoy the whole short.

4. José Luis August 5, 2010 at 4:53 PM

You’re right, this looks primising in CG, I’m not a 3D fan either.

5. Riley August 6, 2010 at 1:50 AM

Sorry, but I think this looks bad. Where’s the style anymore? Why not get a team of illustrators and make animation cool again, instead of sitting at a computer with a premade character who just gets manipulated around a screen? Although I agree with the sentiment that Looney Tunes should do some sort of rebranding, I think they totally missed the mark with this one.

6. Pingback: Nagelneuer Looney Tunes Clip | affenkoppzentrale

7. Thom August 6, 2010 at 7:04 AM

I have to admit, I think it looks pretty good. CG Looney Toons sounds like a terrible idea, but something about it feels pretty close to the original.

8. annet August 9, 2010 at 7:23 AM

sorry, i don’t like this… i’ve never liked the cg animations as much as the ‘regular’ drawn animation. it just tends to look so dated because the technique progresses so quickly! if you watch the old disney movies they still look great, while the first ice age movie almost looks like a videogame compared to the latest ones. i kind of miss the warmth and feel of traditional animation. or, as my boyfriend so crudely said upon watching the first few scenes of ‘l’illusioniste': “oh, screw pixar!”

(pixar is a great studio with great movies of course, but he was just making a point)

9. Jason August 10, 2010 at 4:42 AM

I totally grew up on a steady diet of Looney Tunes as a kid, as I’m sure many of us did. I was waiting for disappoint with this short but it was actually really good. I can’t understand why everything is CG nowadays and made to look so slick but this turned out well I thought.