Camo Is Making A Comeback

Last week I tweeted about a camo Nom de Guerre shirt/jacket (as seen in the bottom image) I had recently bought and asked people’s opinion about how it looked, curious what people thought. About 10 or 15 years ago you might remember how popular camo was, I think you could by any article of clothing in the stuff. Due to an over-saturation or a general annoyance camo fell out of favor… to plaid, I would assume.

Recently though I keep seeing plaid pop-up all over the place, especially in the more high end areas of fashion. The images above are a sampling of things I found rather easily. The reportage style photos were taken by Tommy Ton a month ago for GQ at European Fashion Week and as you can see it was out in force. Could any normal joe off the street pull some of this stuff off? No, but I believe it’s a sign that we’re in for a camo renaissance.

The Creative Recreations at top also caught my eye, they’re like a refined camo that isn’t too over the top, something you could wear on a daily basis.

What do you think? Is camo able to make a well designed return or is it the bastard pattern child?

11 Comments Camo Is Making A Comeback

1. james July 27, 2010 at 11:04 AM

wooster killin’ it with the pink shirt.

i don’t think we’re far enough removed from nu-metal for it to really make a comeback. still reminds me of wal-mart cargo shorts.

2. José Luis July 27, 2010 at 11:21 AM

I never was a camo fan but that trend a decade ago I enjoyed so much I even bought a cargo shorts by Ralph Lauren. Now I think it’s the second option, ‘the bastard pattern child’ thing

3. alexander July 27, 2010 at 11:25 AM

i definitely think it could come back with that windbreaker. camo definitely looks better when it’s on a jacket rather than, say, cargo shorts or a tee shirt.

4. justin July 27, 2010 at 12:11 PM

please god no. not camo again. please.

5. Dr. Oh No! July 27, 2010 at 10:47 PM

Looked ridiculous then, looks ridiculous now.

6. andrew July 28, 2010 at 4:03 AM

the thing that fascinates about military attire etc is that it is so utilitarian and ‘functional’ with its clean lines. aesthetically military design is amazing. the interesting thing is that the camo pattern is totally a juxtaposition with the clean lines – blotches, splatters. then there is the psychology of wearing camo in an urban, non-war environment – and what the wearer might be saying by wearing it away from combat. interesting to think what a camo sports jacket might mean.

over analysis? probably! will camo / military make a come-back? definitely!

7. Kenneth Andrews July 28, 2010 at 6:12 AM

hey Bobby, just a quick heads up. At the beginning of the second paragraph I think you meant “I keep seeing camo pop-up” and not plaid. :)

I doubt it will be a camo resurgence to anything like what we did see, but it is definitely possible we will see touches of camo here and there. It is a compelling, versatile, and fun pattern.

I think the shirt/jacket you bought is one of the items a lot of people could get into and look decent. But something like the camo sport jacket with elbow pads and the works, that dude is KILLING it but not everyone could!

[ K ]

8. Haley July 28, 2010 at 6:53 AM

@Andrew: You are so correct about military chic. I love a fitted military cut in just about anything. It’s functional, masculine, and quite beautiful at times. Still, there’s “Ew!” camo and “Ah!” camo. I don’t think I want to pull a camo off. It takes something I don’t have. Give me that cut in a black, smoke, navy solid and I’ll rock it anywhere. Don’t get me started about plaid. I’ve had to go to war with a few of my friends over the stuff. I’ve seen a few hats I can stomach but I just can’t swallow the rest of it…

9. Ben July 29, 2010 at 6:04 AM

I think I’m always going to associate camo with that group of people at my GA highschool that always wore hunting jackets to school? Always looked blazed/hungover/smelled strong, revved huge land roving muddin’ trucks at each other in the parking lot
    not looking to emulate

10. Vee July 30, 2010 at 5:07 PM

camo as a fashion makes me uneasy — especially with a long and frustrating war going on in the middle east.