Eamz by United Nude

This shoe is problematic for me.  As a beginning, I have to say that love the designs put fourth by United Nude. Many of their shoes seem to rely on ideas that are familiar with many designers and architects, but don’t often migrate to the land of lady’s feet.  When I read that the founder Rem D. Koolhaas aimed to “downsize architecture to its smallest and most vulnerable scale, that of a woman’s foot” it made total sense.  (He’s not the Rem Koolhaas, but he’s the Rem Koolhaas’s nephew.)

So what’s the problem?  I’m not sure that the shoes look as good on the feet as it looks when those shoes start bravely marching for the door.   If we take the Eamz Shoe as an example, does the shoe look nothing like a doorstop?  Of course, the shoe takes its name and visual ques from  the Iconic Eames Aluminum Group of chairs, designed in 1958 for Herman Miller. The idea that you could reconfigure the heel of a woman’s shoe so that the shoe becomes a cantilever, is entirely unique (as far as I know) and the initial misgivings I had with the shoes have migrated to greener pastures.

-Alex.

8 Comments Eamz by United Nude

1. fqmorris June 29, 2010 at 11:49 AM

This shoe is literally a joke: a literal furniture leg attached to a generic woman’s shoe body. It isn’t about a cantilever (by no means an orginal thought), it is about 50’s cliches. It is about being too clever by half.

2. José Luis June 29, 2010 at 3:05 PM

Although I understand the need of architects and other creative minds to expande their creativity to other fields, this kind of collaborations in fashion design are not my favorite so far, especially the Gehry’s hat for Lady Gaga or even the shoes design by Gehry.

3. Alex DentAlex Dent June 29, 2010 at 4:05 PM

@ Jose: If all the architects that designed shoes were all standing around a table, I think it would be Zaha who would have to awkwardly walk away with the prize for most ridiculous footwear (particularly her designs for Melissa.) But I’m not at all opposed to architects and fashion designers wearing each others hats (no pun intended.) For instance, Balenciaga, under the direction of Nicolas Ghesquiere, has created some clothing with very architectural qualities. Going back to hats, I happened to like the Frank Gehry hat for Lady Gaga. The hat reminds me of some of the bowls and vases he’s designed for Tiffany; however, I’m a not a fan of the necklaces he’s designed for Tiffany.

4. Alex DentAlex Dent June 29, 2010 at 4:17 PM

@Fqmorris: Well said. What are these other cantilevered shoes you speak of? I want them in my eyeballs. And to be clear, let me say that the absurdity of the shoe isn’t lost on me, but I don’t think it’s confined merely to the furniture leg as an historic pastiche. I think part of the absurdity comes from the structure of the shoe, that’s all.

5. daragh June 29, 2010 at 5:24 PM

I have to say, I’m not really into women’s shoes but this is great. I understand it’s a concept and highly impractical but, frankly, when has that stopped women’s shoe makers before?

6. Liz K June 29, 2010 at 9:52 PM

It’s interesting to hear people (mostly men) speak about women’s shoes. I’ve been a United Nude fan for several years now and I bought my first pair of Eamz in 2005. The shoe is extremely practical and comfortable and for a woman (like me) who doesn’t necessarily consider herself a trend-follower, but rather a trend-setter, I like the positive attention I get when I wear the Eamz heel to a business meeting.

7. Stpehani Bell December 15, 2010 at 12:03 AM

I’m with Liz on this one. Believe it or not there are *several* women who do not want to look the typical cookie cutter type. I am a bargin shopper, I love a good deal, but I also HAVE to be my own person. I do this through my wardrobe, shoes and purses.

To be honest I own one fairly uncomfortable pair of UN however I have several and the mule is the only one I’ve have blisters from. I’m guessing a combo of the raised backless heel with most activity going to the toes so more padding shoudl go in there but the boots (my fave) I wear socks with so no issues there.

I have 3 pair of Louboutins and 2 Manolos but they sit in my cloest not out of reverence but because I’m always in UN. They get so many looks and frankly I love the artsy feel of it all.

8. JFlo December 17, 2010 at 2:50 AM

I’m with Liz and Stephani, and many many other UN lovers. The Eamz has a great fit, is very durable, fun, sexy in an unconventional and not in-your-face kind of way.
    I have 3 different pair of Eamz and I still get compliments and positive comments when I wear them. As for the rest of the UN shoes… I have about 8 pairs now.. not all of them the most practical… but I love them all!