A Delicious Breakfast at Broder Cafe

Yesterday morning Frank took me to one of his favorite breakfast spots called Broder Cafe, a beautiful little place that serves Scandinavian foods. To start we got an order of aebleskivers (which in Danish means apple slices) which are these wonderful, fluffy pastries that you dip in lemon curd and marion berry jam. Honestly they were some of the most delicious little pastries I’ve ever had.

For my main meal Frank and I ended up getting the same thing, a bacon, mushroom, gouda scramble with a potato latke and toast. It was amazing as the photos above make it look, really rich and a ton of flavor. The onions in the latke were perfect and the mushrooms in the scramble were a perfect consistency. The coffee was also delicious and most important to me, the service was great. We always had water at our table and the waiter (who may have been the owner?) checked in on us frequently.

If you’re in Portland or are just visiting this is place is a must visit.

10 Comments A Delicious Breakfast at Broder Cafe

1. yachris June 25, 2010 at 1:57 PM

Sounds great — the pictures reminded me that D.C. area restaurants have started posting “No Photography” signs, since (evidently) people are too busy photographing their food to eat it when it’s ready!

2. Sarah Smith June 25, 2010 at 2:06 PM

Ahh aebleskivers are sooo good! We had some in Solvang and I almost bought the pastry mix/special pan they sell for making them. Good thing I’m eating while reading this because you’re making me huuuungry! Have fun but come back soon, we miss you.

3. Nilas June 25, 2010 at 2:41 PM

Æbleskiver ftw!

4. José Luis June 25, 2010 at 3:53 PM

OMG, that looks delicious. Is that guy in the background waving at you in the last picture? Never had scandinavian food in my life, but now I cannot wait

5. Peter June 25, 2010 at 6:50 PM

You must eat at An Old Wives Tale!

6. Kjell-Roger June 26, 2010 at 3:56 AM

Looks like a cool place.

If you ever come to Norway Bobby, let me know, I’ll make you a mean omelet! And I my grandma prob will be glad to cook up some norwegian foods, if you’re into scandinavian ;)

7. Melissa June 26, 2010 at 4:55 AM

This look absolute devine….I kind of feel like I will totally be missing out tomorrow morning with my muesli ;]…although it is nice muesli. Looks like a nice vibe there also.

8. joe June 26, 2010 at 10:12 PM

Check out Byways Cafe too, it’s a great little dive for brunch.

9. Erasmus June 28, 2010 at 1:59 AM

Sound very good:) However it have nothing to do with Danish breakfast (I live in copenhagen and I am a dane). We only eat Æbleskiver in the evening at Christmas so quite funny to see them served as breakfast:)

Also the other things are not something we would veer served at breakfast maybe lunch but hey if it was good it was good. Great blog by the way.

10. Sara Katt June 28, 2010 at 4:43 AM

I’m from sweden but I’ve never tasted aepleskiver, but i sure love the potato latke!