‘The Dot and the Line: A Romance in Lower Mathematics’

Continuing the videos about shapes phenomenon I point your eyes to this amazing video called The Dot and the Line: A Romance in Lower Mathematics. The video tells the story of a straight line who’s in love with a dot, but the dot falls in love with the crazy, freewheeling squiggle. Soon though the dot realizes that the squiggle is actually a mess and that the line is exactly what she wants in life… ok that was kind of a shit interpretation of the story, but you get the gist of it.

The video was directed by cartoon legend Chuck Jones and and Maurice Noble but was based on the book of the same name. The movie was such a big hit in fact that it won the Academy Award for Animated Short Film in 1965. Yet again, it’s annoying that there aren’t more cartoons like this these days. I wonder if Nickelodeon or Cartoon Network would fun something like this again?

8 Comments ‘The Dot and the Line: A Romance in Lower Mathematics’

1. Grace Manalo June 24, 2010 at 4:03 PM

Ahh!! Thank you so much for sharing that! How very true in every sense of the word!

2. José Luis June 24, 2010 at 4:31 PM

You’re right, this is so awesome, I have no idea of this. I think now I need to find my lovely dot

3. Geo June 24, 2010 at 5:44 PM

I have the book, but I never knew about this, and it’s delightful!

I doubt any of the big animators will take a risk with something like this again, though, because of the prevailing false notion that animation must be kid-friendly.

Works sited: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AnimationAgeGhetto

4. Thom June 25, 2010 at 6:16 AM

Almost brought a tear to my eye just thinking about this. No, I wasn’t born yet when this came out, but it was still heavily played when I was in elementary school. A truly fantastic piece of animation.

5. Cam June 25, 2010 at 7:50 AM

I found the new Pixar short (before Toy Story 3), Night and Day to be quite good and hit on a lot of the great stylistic points of the ‘toons of old. So there is still good work being done “these days”…

6. Abel June 25, 2010 at 11:02 AM

Yeah, I’m with Cam.

First thing that popped into my head was the awesome UPA style short Night and Day by that genius Teddy Newton that plays before Toy Story 3. Check it out, sure you’ll change your mind about modern animation shorts. There out there ;)

7. Mohamed June 26, 2010 at 1:40 AM

Woww, Thank you Bobby for this great discovery !

I love maths, art and design, and this short movie is a great mix of these 3 fields

8. Taylor June 28, 2010 at 12:28 AM

Norton Juster, the writer of the original book and the screenplay, wrote a wonderful novel called The Phantom Tollbooth that is a similarly clever classic. I’m pretty sure it’s sorted in the children’s section (as is The Dot and the Line) but it’s definitely worth a read or two even for an adult.