Visiting Portland

On Wednesday night I’ll be travelling to the fine city of Portland for a little R&R as well as to visit all the artsy friends I’ve made over the years. I haven’t been to Portland in over 15 years so I’m extremely excited to explore the city and see what everyone’s talking about. I know a lot of things to do there but I’m reaching out to you for suggestions of places I should visit. I’ll be staying in the Southeast part of the city so I’d prefer suggestions around there. So please let me know in the comments of happening places and yummy eateries!

Also, I’ll be having a get together of sorts somewhere in the city on Saturday night, so if you’re in the Portland area save the date and I’ll update with more information soon. I’m hoping to give away some free stuff but you’ll have to show up in order to see!

23 Comments Visiting Portland

1. Brooks June 21, 2010 at 4:11 PM

If you can make it up to NE Portland, in what’s known as the Alberta District, you’d probably enjoy visiting Ampersand Vintage. And I second the recommendation about Kenny & Zuke’s.

2. Andrea Cheng June 21, 2010 at 4:17 PM

You must must must grab dinner at Navarre (http://navarreportland.blogspot.com/index.html). The food is fantastic, and the surrounding area is really great for exploring. Be sure to stop into Nationale while you’re waiting for a table. Great little shop/gallery with unique inventory.

As for shopping, Frances May is a must visit. One of my favorite shops ever. The Portland Outdoor Store is also a real treasure. Lots of great American heritage brands like Pendleton, Woolrich, Filson, etc. Remember to go all the way up to the third level. That’s where they keep all the saddles and horse riding accessories (looks like this!: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ajcheng730/3633075356/in/set-72157619744938255/).

HAVE FUN! I’m so jealous :)

3. Dick June 21, 2010 at 5:03 PM

Kenny & Zuke’s have great ruebens.

Quick list that comes to mind:

Shopping-wise I’ve been wanting to check out Winn Perry. I haven’t been personally but I’ll suggest it blindly.
    Foodstuffs: Voodoo Doughnuts is kind of a Portland staple. spold Mac & Cheese at Montage (under the Morrison bridge) & the carts at SE Hawthorne & 12th (Potato Champion!) for late night grub.
    Nature-stuff:
    Laurelhurst Park (& Laurelhurst Market for a great dinner / lunch meats)
    Mt. Tabor (climb to the top for a nice view of downtown)
    Rad houses & rose gardens in Ladd’s Addition

Have fun!

4. Cat June 21, 2010 at 5:40 PM

Hey, my fair town!
    There’s the ubiquitous Stumptown for your morning coffee, preferably the one attached to the Ace Hotel… that way you can have your picture taken at the antique photo booth. Take your coffee over to Canoe for some good browsing. Powell’s Books is nearby, too, and you can lose hours in there… if you go, the rare book section is fun. I think Frances May is in that part of town, too. The Doug Fir is a fun venue/restaurant/bar, Olympic Provisions has been getting TONS of good hype for their charcuterie, and Biwa is an awesome little Japanese izakaya near the Doug Fir. The arboretum is perfect for an afternoon walk, and I bet you’d enjoy walking around the Mississippi neighborhood, too.
    There’s so much good stuff here. Have fun!

5. lucky June 21, 2010 at 6:00 PM

You are visiting my city! I suggest Tanuki: http://tanukipdx.com/

It is a tiny little restaurant where you are somewhat at the mercy of the chef. The menu changes everyday. There are no kids allowed. There can only be one credit card used per group. There is no sushi. And things are super spicy. But it is beyond delicious and my favorite place I have ever had the pleasure of eating at. I would suggest getting Omakase (chef’s choice) and setting the price point at 25-30 dollars. If you decide to do Omakase everyone at the table has to participate, but Janice, the chef, is amazing. Check out the sample menu on the website for an idea of what they serve.

6. Rb. June 21, 2010 at 6:40 PM

A couple SE breakfast places to make time for:

The Waffle Window (On Hawthorne around the corner from the Break & Ink Cafe) – delicious savory and sweet waffles. Try the sweet and perfect Razzle Dazzle. http://www.wafflewindow.com

Broder (On Clinton & 26th) – A Swedish restaurant. The aebleskivers (Danish pancakes) are amazing! At this place though the presentation is also particularly brilliant. It’s real little so go prepared to wait a little bit. http://www.broderpdx.com

7. MK June 21, 2010 at 6:52 PM

You should probably dedicate a day to all the foodcarts [http://www.foodcartsportland.com/]. After that, as far as SE goes, all along Hawthorne between 30th and 45th is pretty excellent for food/drink/crazy shopping. Too bad you’re coming IN on Wednesday, that’s $1.25 vegan corndogs and $1 tallboy PBRs at Hungry Tiger Too.

8. Namita June 21, 2010 at 8:52 PM

In SE – eat at Pok Pok and have treats at Pix. Visit Museum of Contemporary Craft at 724 NW Davis Street. Look up Food Carts Portland on facebook to find amazing carts all over town. Sandwiches – Meat Cheese Bread on SE Stark.

9. andy June 22, 2010 at 6:05 AM

We just got back from amazing Portland and were tourguided around by the exceptionally creative Always with Honor (who can add tourguiding to their ever expanding resume.) Heres what we got to sample:

Stumptown for sure – just plan on getting every cup of coffee there.
    Pine State Biscuits – Good Lord Great Biscuits. Veggie Gravy!
    Voodoo donuts – and eat a blunt donut and a dozen more.
    Grilled Cheese Grill! nuff said.
    DC Vegetarian cart in downtown portland. Wha? a veggie philly steak and cheese? hell yeah.
    Laurelwood Brewery- tasty brews and great food.
    Aalto Lounge- fun times and great cocktails

And the list goes on and on…

10. Jeff June 22, 2010 at 10:55 AM

Go to the Japanese Gardens just west of town for some beautiful scenery and great views!

11. schismarch June 22, 2010 at 11:56 AM

You’ve had plenty of food suggestions–I’ll second Hopworks and Pok Pok here in the southeast–but for phenomenal brunch hit up Genie’s on 12th and Division. Wonderful breakfast cocktails and the best benedict in the city.

Hope you enjoy our fair city.

12. Justin June 22, 2010 at 12:30 PM

Sweet, I’ll be in Portland this weekend too! Let me know about Sat. would be cool to meet up, turns out my old flatmate in London went to High School with Josh Porter back in Ohio. Random. -J

13. AJ June 22, 2010 at 5:23 PM

Food:
    If you’re out on Hawthorne the cup and saucer has really good vegan friendly food.
    I recommend the food carts at 12th and Hawthorne. Not as many as the ones at 10th and Morrison, but all of the carts are very good, especially Potato Champion (which serves poutine).
    If you are visiting portland and have a car go to the voodoo doughnuts on the east side. Much easier to find parking and usually the lines are shorter.
    Pine State Biscuits on Belmont is extremely delicious and affordable. I highly recommend visiting. There are lines on weekend mornings, but its well worth the wait.

Shopping:
    If you’re interested in thrift stores and hipstery apparel, the Goodwill Bins out in Milwaukie can be interesting and fun.
    In the pearl, Billy Galaxy, Reading Frenzy, Jackpot Records and Everyday Music are all interesting stores.
    As far as clothing goes, I recommend Winn Perry, Stand Up Comedy, The Woodlands, and Local 35.

14. Jenny June 23, 2010 at 7:41 AM

For lunch downtown you have to try the foodcart Portland Soup Co. on SW 4th & College. The name sounds mundane but the food is amazing! Best Pork-butt sandwich ever for $6 and blissfull tomato-reggiano soup. http://www.portlandsoupco.com/
    Another must is Tasty & Sons on N. Williams. Serving modern brunch food from 9am-3pm everyday. The atmosphere and service is great. You will appreciate their aesthetic. Try their french toast w/rhubarb maple sauce or anything with their house smoked tasso ham. http://www.tastynsons.com/ Also great shopping on the corner by them at Ink & Peat and dessert at Pix Patisserie across the street.
    If you go to NE Alberta get coffee from Barista (amazing new interior and superior coffee brewing) and get the best coconut cream pie ever down the street at Random Order.
    Favorite club for evening music and fun Holocene http://www.holocene.org/

15. Daniel June 23, 2010 at 9:22 AM

Hey Bobby – what font is that for “Visiting Portland”?

16. Jenny June 23, 2010 at 12:32 PM

Thought of some more food places all in SE Portland.
    -Por Que No on SE Hawthorne (best tacos in PDX) http://www.porquenotacos.com/
    -Little t American Baker on SE Divsion (beautiful, modern, delicious)
    -Bunk Sandwiches on SE Morrison http://www.bunksandwiches.com/
    -Nicholas on SE Grand (yummy Lebanese food) http://nicholasrestaurant.com/

Here are some “popular” over-rated places to avoid. Don’t waste your precious food credits on any of these!
    – any McMenamins (they are everywhere, don’t be sucked in by their quaint pub-like nature!)
    – Tin Shed
    – Grilled Cheese Grill (low quality ingredients, overpriced crap peddlers)
    – Apizza Scholls (bad service and atmosphere, overpriced. For pizza in PDX try Ken’s Artisan
    Pizza, Lovely’s Fifty Fifty, or Dove VI VI)
    – Cup & Saucer (bland and boring)

17. Kyle Glenn June 23, 2010 at 3:26 PM

Definitely check out Bunk Sandwich Co. I recommend the Pork Belly Cubano, best sandwich there, though all of them are fantastic. And get the iced tea.

Around 28th and Stark in SE there is a fantastic sushi place called Bamboo. Recommend the Northwest Philly Roll. http://www.bamboosushipdx.com/

For a low key place with cheap drinks, check out Houndog’s on SE Milwaukie and Holgate. Specials change every two hours. My fav is the $2.50 shot of old crow with a blue moon beer back.

18. Bobby SolomonBobby Solomon June 23, 2010 at 4:56 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!
    I’m curious about more shopping as well, any more rad stores I should check out?

19. jack June 23, 2010 at 9:10 PM

check:

noms:

ned ludd: best meal in portland. every time.
    bunk: sandwiches like whoah.

spendin’ g’s:

missing link toys: they are moving their store to n mississippi, so huge sales abound.
    dosha salon on hawthorne: feeling like a free massage/facial/nail service? let me know (i’m the manager).

enjoy!

20. wh June 23, 2010 at 9:11 PM

The Perfume House on Hawthorne in SE Portland is pretty unique/cool and is known internationally for being owned by one of the few “noses” in the world and Mario’s (it’s in SW Portland) is worth checking out (Mario’s 3.10 in Bridgeport might have stuff that you would like better but it is pretty far from SE Portland). I too recommend Powell’s, which is also on the West Side of Portland, and the Pearl District which Powell’s is located in is worth checking out (there are several art galleries in the Pearl, and I really like the Elizabeth Leach Gallery). I hope you have a great time in Portland!

21. Adrian June 23, 2010 at 11:43 PM

Local 35 in the hawthorne district is pretty rad as far as clothing goes. Tender Loving Empire for handmade goods and music. Also check out the Compound Gallery in the Old Town neighborhood for vinyl collectables and pretty amazing art. They also carry Shwood sunglasses. Food at almost any cart is great (I suggest the Bool Kogi taco cart), Toro Bravo for tapas, Bijou café for breakfast.