The Updated Mac Mini

Earlier this morning Apple released a new Mac Mini onto the world and I was quite surprised at some of the subtle design tweaks that are looking great. First is the all aluminum body which is way better than the janky plastic top on previous versions. Now the overall body is much cleaner and sleeker looking including how it wraps into the back of the computer.

But what I really love about the new design is actually the bottom of the computer. Most people probably won’t ever upgrade their computer themselves, but Apple has designed an easy access hatch so you can swap out (I’m guessing) the RAM or memory of the computer. You simply rotate the black disc on the bottom of the computer and voila, you’re inside. I’m a firm believer that what’s most important are the small details and this is a perfect example.

15 Comments The Updated Mac Mini

1. Sean June 15, 2010 at 1:57 PM

Hi Bobby,
    This is a off topic but still relates to apple so ill give it a go:
    Over the past weekend i got to play around with a friends ipad and decided to check out your site. I found it to be very frustrating considering so much of the content posted are flash videos or flash related content, for example, the “whats your type” post. As a supporter of the ipad (i assume) i wonder how you think the device is so revolutionary if it (in my opinion) cripples your website. HTML5 may be the future in apples eyes but should they force it upon us even if so much of the internet is still using flash?
    Thanks

2. Bobby SolomonBobby Solomon June 15, 2010 at 2:03 PM

@Sean – To me that’s thinking backwards. I’m not trying to put words in your mouth, but basically you’re saying that because it doesn’t work perfectly now that people shouldn’t try to innovate our change the way things are. Apple is firm in their belief that Flash does not work for a mobile environment, that it’s a closed system, and that they want to change that.

So far there hasn’t been a single mobile device with Flash that runs smoothly and has an amazing battery life. I can tell you that I didn’t charge my iPad for over 10 days, how insane is that?

Soon enough things will change and you won’t even notice a difference.

3. JonIndia™ June 15, 2010 at 2:17 PM

the funny thing is, all that truly matters with regards to purchasing an Apple machine is the processor and the monitor size. All the other upgrades can be done cheaply on your own, such as memory and hard drives, etc etc. Apple rips you off when you just add a gig or 2 to your machine memory. A 50 buck job will cost you 200 bones if you leave it to Apple.

4. Sean June 15, 2010 at 2:18 PM

I guess I’ve just always hated apple, but i feel i have good reason. To me it seems that every device they’ve created is majorly flawed in some way yet they market it as revolutionary and people eat it up. They’re ads for the ipad talk about browsing all of the internet, which it cant, and there’s even an print ad of it displaying a vimeo video, one of the very few it can display…Doesn’t seem very “magical” and “revolutionary” to me. And as much as I want the new iphone, it took them 4 tries to put a front facing camera on the thing? Thats not changing anything, sure you can videochat with what…the three other people you know that have iphone4’s, but only on wifi. What happened to skype and ichat, what most of the populations uses to webchat?

It feels to me as if apples telling me i’m doing things wrong and that whatever their way is, thats the future. I have no input i must conform to them.

5. Bobby SolomonBobby Solomon June 15, 2010 at 3:00 PM

@Jonnida – Totally right, New Egg is always the way to go.

@Sean – That’s a completely stupid reason.

1) No one is making you buy anything.
    2) It didn’t take them four tries to do anything, they implement things when they’re ready.

Please tell me who’s doing anything half as good as they are. Please. Because I know you’re wrong and you won’t be able to name anyone. The end.

P.S. I’m just gonna delete anymore stupid “Apple is dumbzor” comments after this, just a heads up.

6. Elias June 15, 2010 at 3:12 PM

@Bobby
    I loved the new design and you’re very right about the details Bobby. It’s always been the details for apple and that is why thousands of people pre order their products before they even get a chance to check them out up close. What did you think of the iphone 4?

@Sean
    If Apple’s products are majorly flawed, then what are the “frankensteinian” designs in both quality and parts that its main competitors have released in the previous years(google is a recent competitor)? In my opinion if there’s one company that only releases a product when it meets its high standards it’s Apple. Don’t you think that omitting a few things is better than adding them and screwing the whole thing up because they just weren’t ready? I’ll definitely agree with you on the cockiness that is “Apple Marketing” though.

7. Graham J. June 15, 2010 at 3:44 PM

It is nice to see that Apple can still make a product once in a while that lets you get inside.

That, to me, is the biggest problem with them as a company: the complete opposite of a DIY ethos. I understand why the OS and reliability, etc., etc. are great for a lot of people, and I don’t grudge them that.

But it’s this new philosophy that the iOS has taken that points to more disturbing things along the road. Only Steve Jobs-approved apps, only the Apple versions of whatever great software is out there – it’s a closed system, and if that becomes the norm, it will seriously restrict innovation on that platform (in the same way that Walmart ‘restricts’ the market for music and such).

It’s not Apple as a computer company that anyone objects to, I think, it’s Apple as a new cultural arbiter.

Hopefully that wasn’t too “Apple is dumbzor”; I just think they’re making a long-term mistake.

8. Bobby SolomonBobby Solomon June 15, 2010 at 3:52 PM

@Graham – Not at all, this is a very well thought out point of view… but I still say you’re wrong. Can you create a game for a Playstation or an Xbox? Sure, but you’d have to do it based on the guidelines that they’ve created. Same thing goes for Apple. There are plenty of people doing amazing, creative things based on Apple’s guidelines and making LOTS of money, ie Plants vs. Zombies or Angry Birds. And you can always create your own web app, that’s another entirely viable opition.

Yet again my point is, no else is even close to what they’re doing.
    If you don’t like what Apple’s doing stop complaining and buy a supbar mobile device (not necessarily directed at you Graham ;D ).

9. Matthew F June 15, 2010 at 6:51 PM

Damn, if it played Blu-Ray it would be the perfect little home theatre brain.

10. RVS June 15, 2010 at 11:08 PM

Will this Mac Mini run Photoshop? And will it work fast? I’m not very into the technical stuff. What I do like is that you can plug an sd-card in it. And I could also add RAM to my old eMac :)

11. philipp June 16, 2010 at 12:55 AM

@Sean – Vimeo updated their site so you can change to HTML5 now, it’s a little button down on the right side. They probably wanted to show in the ad that watching Vimeo on the iPad is now possible, seems like a good enough reason to me.

12. Graham J. June 16, 2010 at 3:53 AM

@Bobby That’s why I’m going Android soon.

The difference to me is that there are systems you’d expect to see as closed systems, like an mp3 player or a gaming console or even a phone. The iPad though, which is marketed as a ‘computer-lite’, is worrisome, because it’s at this point fairly close to being a full-fledged computer, but one that’s entirely locked down.

It’s as a ‘sign of things to come’ that it worries me. You said “there are plenty of people doing amazing, creative things based on Apple’s guidelines,” and the fact that they’re restricted to Apple’s guidelines is troubling. I know it’s perfectly within their rights, but the sheer popularity of the iPhone (and now iPad) coupled with the absence of any serious, widespread discussion of whether this is a good thing – not to mention general consumer ignorance – does not bode well for future platforms.

13. Matthew F June 16, 2010 at 9:16 AM

@ RVS

Yep, you can run anything on it. The specs are lower than the iMacs, but you don’t need much to run the CS Design apps, so this would be fine.

As far as I know, you can add RAM to all Mac’s. Just find out what type it is, what kind you need, and how to add it. I know its very easy to do on the iMacs.

14. Hans Peterson June 16, 2010 at 9:18 AM

This thing is so much better
    than his previous version.
    You were pretty quick with this!
    Hans Peterson