Video for ‘Rabbit Song’ by Boy & Bear

The current darlings of the Australian indie music scene, Boy & Bear have just released their first EP and are already attracting their fair share of attention. The detractors have claimed that they are derivative of the 1970s folk sound popularised by Fleet Foxes and Bon Iver; however, I would like to sing their praises and I can think of no better way than sharing their music video for “Rabbit Song.”

The video does a brilliant job of visually representing the guitar-driven melody and choral harmonies of the song by following a disenchanted man as he is drawn into an urban game of Cowboys and Indians. It’s the sort of video that makes covering your face in war paint, donning a crazy headdress made out of ties and meeting up with a woodlands cult in the forest strangely appealing. Or maybe it’s just appealing to me.

Danica

8 Comments Video for ‘Rabbit Song’ by Boy & Bear

1. Jill May 20, 2010 at 2:57 PM

oh I really liked that, until the last split second of the video… why did they go and do that? sillys.

2. Evan May 20, 2010 at 3:09 PM

I agree with Jill, no reason not to have left us feeling immersed. I’ve grown tired of “just a dream” moment. Though the guy does look sort of upset to be awake again, which is good.

Thanks Danica, Glad you’re posting here.

3. Mark Weaver May 20, 2010 at 3:22 PM

I like this. It does sound a lot like Fleet Foxes but that’s a-ok with me.

4. Craig May 20, 2010 at 5:23 PM

I love the costuming, especially the necktie headdress. Would love to see more of what appears to be a colored pencil headdress on the guy at the end though.

Oh – good song too.

5. Danica van de VeldeDanica van de Velde May 21, 2010 at 5:20 AM

@Jill and @Evan I agree with both of you. It’s a bit of a cop out to pass off the video as a dream sequence. The narrative would definitely have had more of an impact if it had finished in the forest.

@Mark Weaver Yes, I feel the same way :)

@Craig I really like the coloured pencil headdress too! I tried to find out who had designed the costumes, but didn’t come up with anything, unfortunately.

6. Dea May 25, 2010 at 4:45 AM

I like them better than Fleetfox, I found them to be a bit more melodious and not so jangly.

But it is a similar sound, I am not exposed to so much Australian music so thanks for the post.

I also loved My Brightest Diamond that I learned about through you a week or so ago, we have similar tastes, the same things appeal to us.

That’s nice. Take care have a good rest of the week, Dea x.

7. Gheilt May 25, 2010 at 8:14 AM

Trash, rapture and epilepsy.
    Farewell to the end of a workday.