U.S. Currency Redesign by Michael Tyznik

Last Thursday I posted this video showing the redesign if the $100 bill here in the U.S. and the proceeded to talk about how horrible it was. To my surprise there were a lot of commenters who seemed to think that the idea of security and beauty were two concepts that couldn’t live together, which kind of baffled me.

In response I’m posting these currency redesigns by Michael Tyznik, who I think did an amazing job of bridging the gap between design and potential security. His design includes ideas like a holographic strip, which not only makes it easier to tell the bills apart easier but could also be filled with a bevy of security features, I would assume. Inside the strip there are also embossed dots for the sight-impaired, something that current currency definitely doesn’t take into consideration.

This in my mind couldn’t be any better looking. It’s simple and bold while still giving a nod to the history of money in America. If you’ve happened to notice that there’s a lack of $1 you’re right, Michael suggests doing away with the $1 all together and replacing them with coins instead as it only has an average lifespan of 21 months. Kinda interesting, huh?

27 Comments U.S. Currency Redesign by Michael Tyznik

1. Diarmuid April 30, 2010 at 8:50 AM

They look cool and it’s a great idea to see the embossed dots – it’s a real shame that the current currency doesn’t take this into consideration. British bills use different sizes but it really would be neat if they could find some other technique to distinguish between them all.

2. Dave April 30, 2010 at 8:55 AM

He forgot the $2 bill – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_two-dollar_bill

Also not a big fan of ‘shifting’ the figure heads up – I don’t like losing Hamilton from the $10. Why not keep Lincoln on th $5 and put Washington on the $1 coin…. perhaps Hamilton doesn’t have any killer quotes :)

Otherwise, I do like the concept.

-Dave.

3. Jeff April 30, 2010 at 9:40 AM

I wish whoever was in charge of currency design would even consider something like this. However, I have to wonder if a change so dramatic would go over. Besides that, I’m a big fan of the holographic strip and the larger panoramas of the Capitol Buildings.

4. Leigh Woosey April 30, 2010 at 9:47 AM

In Britain we are a little spoiled with our currency. Our notes generally have good aesthetic and product-design sense and carry a spirit of reliability, security and authority.

I think there is a great deal that is praise worthy about Michael Tyznik’s redesign, it’s such an exciting and radical departure from the existing, famous designs! But I do question the contrast and colour of the type, and if that is a handicap to visually impaired users who wish to appreciate the text? Also, could something more challenging have been done with the imagery?

5. Kris Arruda April 30, 2010 at 10:19 AM

Loved it.

In Brazil we banned de 1 Real bill. Just coins now.

6. Alex April 30, 2010 at 10:52 AM

As was said in the previous post, they should look to Australian notes for inspiration. That’s how you incorporate colour into currency without it looking awful. I think this design’s issue is that it’s all hung up on including the colour green. There’s also too much negative space, it lacks credibility as a result.

7. Paul April 30, 2010 at 3:36 PM

I think this may cause our economy to suffer even more.
    If our currency looked this good, I may not part with my money! :p

8. Jacob April 30, 2010 at 6:01 PM

No 1 dollar bill? Think of the strippers.

9. Fabian April 30, 2010 at 6:18 PM

I absolutely would rather have this as my currency.
    Love its commanding presence!

10. KEVIN May 1, 2010 at 10:58 AM

Strange to see this on kitsunenoir…I’m at the University of Cincinnati also and I remember seeing this in an online student gallery earlier this year. ha..small world.

Great design though..our currency could definitely use a facelift.

11. pedro freenandes May 1, 2010 at 12:10 PM

I love this redesign. Would be a much better improvement.

You can peek at some Euro money, which i think it’s well designed and secure. Also a good use of colours there.

12. Rico May 1, 2010 at 12:45 PM

At my College we had to design banknotes last year and it was the most horrible project ever. It was for a competition and there were so many rules and regulations you had to adhere to it was crazy.

These banknotes look really good but they seem very “clean” and the microprint doesn’t seem complex enough for a banknote, but hey I’m not an expert.

I just know that I’ll never want to be the designer who designs banknotes for a country.

13. ron May 1, 2010 at 5:12 PM

i like these, but i also feel they need some nod to the classic fancy border stuff too. the new 100 is a mess though.

14. Fitch May 2, 2010 at 1:21 PM

Where’s the “In God We Trust”?

15. neil May 3, 2010 at 9:43 AM

I like the front side a lot more than the back (with president and text). Just seems like too much text and not as well resolved as the front. Obviously a huge improvement over what we’ve got now, regardless.

And I agree, we can’t remove the ones, what will the strippers do!

16. Pingback: Rediseño de los billetes de EEUU por Michael Tyznik

17. Guido Bouman May 3, 2010 at 3:08 PM

Ah, someone read my comment in the previous post… =]

18. Dr. Oh No May 5, 2010 at 8:16 PM

Am I the only one that finds these atrocious? Not from a design sense (the front-sides are rather fetching), but from what I expect my money to invoke/evoke. I like bills that maintain a level of antiquity, and these completely dash any resemblance of the past.

I personally love the fact that US bills only have one dominant ink. Accent the hell out of that motif all you want, but please to change it too much.

19. Dr. Oh No May 5, 2010 at 8:17 PM

*to = don’t

20. Pingback: Currency Redesign by Michael Tyznik « Fairfax By Night

21. Jack May 11, 2010 at 2:11 AM

I’m not sure about these. Why does the design at the moment ALWAYS have to be so simple and “clean”. It works on packaging etc, but here it just seems childlike. It looks like monopoly money.

22. Jack May 11, 2010 at 2:13 AM

Also, the photographs used are terrible! I completely agree with Dr. Oh No’s comment about antiquity.

23. Pingback: Rediseño de los billetes de los Dolares | Ciberdix 2.0 :: Blog Creativo!!

24. RUGRLN May 15, 2010 at 11:03 PM

Wow! That looks amazing!

25. Gareth Botha May 17, 2010 at 8:49 AM

i like the introduction of color and the variation in size of the colored bands for different notes, but the colors picked are way too out there for united states currency. these colors make me think more along the lines of rave fliers. these are nowhere near conservative enough to evoke the sense of trust and tradition that currency is based on.

from a design perspective, i also think having the quotes monopolize the majority of the print area on the back looks awkward.

26. Adam Bridge June 12, 2010 at 5:07 PM

I believe that the currency needs to conform to new Americans With Disabilities Act rulings and the different denominations identifiable by touch. These are pleasant but I think they are too revolutionary and not sufficiently evolutionary. Earlier comments have liked a border similar to that in current bills, and there are issues relating to security that need to be addressed.

Still, they are interesting work and I hope someone at Treasury notes them.