FOX Sports Statistics Get An Update

I can’t say I’m a huge sports fan, though it’s always fun to watch in groups and live. That said, trying to decipher what the hell all the stats on the screen are can be quite a task, even with those familiar. FOX Sports decided to change that and enlisted the help of Michael Cina and Michael Young to rethink their onscreen statistics, refreshing them and making them ultimately more user friendly.

I think what they’ve done here is completely refreshing and a much needed improvement. The graphics are now bold and clear, combining a multitude of colors, fonts and shapes while somehow keeping it all looking consistent. I think my two favorite elements are the gradient on the penalty alert and the huge Touchdown pop-up. It’s funny though, as I wrote that last sentence it made sense to use web design terms to describe what the objects were. Perhaps the web is starting to bleed over to television or the two are really finally starting to merge?

26 Comments FOX Sports Statistics Get An Update

1. patrick April 28, 2010 at 1:06 PM

i think as a whole, they work, for print only, for onscreen, it won’t work at all. and “figuring out” the on screen stats, is not hard at-all; i don’t need a huge graphic to tell me its 2 and 4, or they just scored a TD…you’re watching for the game, the action, not how cool the side bars are…

2. Bobby SolomonBobby Solomon April 28, 2010 at 1:08 PM

@Patrick – So you’re making this assumption without even seeing them onscreen yet…? Aren’t you looking on a screen right now? haha

3. johnkanesmith April 28, 2010 at 1:43 PM

I really like it, cant wait to see them in action. I can only hope they deaded the transformer like CG robots too…

4. B April 28, 2010 at 1:49 PM

I think this is awesome, as a designer and a lover of the grid and a hater of the shitty stuff they use now. But having worked with Fox Sports as a client, I am eager to see how the screens will look come this fall. After about 1000 marketing genius’take a hack at it, I hope it survives in its current form/

5. russell April 28, 2010 at 2:06 PM

It’s tough without seeing it in action but I think Patrick is going to be proved right, especially in the case of standard definition tvs, which really don’t have enough screen real estate or detail to display graphics of that style.

I’m assuming this is Cina & Young’s treatment, rather than a working model from FOX. They may be able to make some adjustments so it works well in actual use.

All considered, they do look nice, though the size of the “touchdown!” thing is comical, and it’s definitely an improvement over the typical shiny-metal-beveled-edge looking stuff that’s standard for sports now, but they’ll probably have to adjust the type and proportions

6. rburch April 28, 2010 at 3:37 PM

I really like it. I think it has a classic sports feel, it’s simplified too. I disagree that it will be hard to read. I just hope they got rid of that muscly super robot thing that used pop up during intro and spin the football on the ground and spank his own ass. Who’s idea was that in the first place?

7. Brad April 28, 2010 at 3:46 PM

I absolutely love the simplicity, but the current style has gone down such a specific path that it would be nearly impossible to implement without some serious repercussions. We’re currently in an era where simple photos of the players aren’t adequate enough, so they’ve implemented obnoxious “living photograph” video clips of each of the players instead. Between the dancing robots, over-the-top futuristic metal aesthetic, and teleportation-style transition screens, this would be such a 180 that this would really stun viewers. There’s not even the logo next to the team name.

8. drew April 28, 2010 at 3:49 PM

A big goal I could imagine would be to keep these stat lines as unobtrusive as possible, and the last one seems way too big. Outside of making them look a little sharper, I don’t see how this will help the viewer decipher the stats any better or faster but I’m definitely for some updated graphics.

9. Brian April 28, 2010 at 6:25 PM

I am pretty sure these were just pitch comps. I doubt that Fox would ever go for anything as minimal or clean as this. Wish they would, the lens flares and extruded 3D type is getting a little old.

10. José Luis April 28, 2010 at 6:28 PM

Now I only have to update my tv

11. Sean April 28, 2010 at 9:18 PM

I hope they decided to add a play clock in there somewhere. God I hate it when they don’t show the play clock.

12. clayton April 28, 2010 at 9:22 PM

Love how the score covers the player’s anus on the first frame.

13. rent April 28, 2010 at 9:47 PM

If these do end up being used and look okay on tv screens, I’ll definitely be watching more football. A step in the right direction, for sure.

14. Nicolas April 29, 2010 at 12:58 AM

The stat bars they use now are ugly as hell but I not really a fan of these either. I kinda agree with Patrick especially with the first image.

15. Dan April 29, 2010 at 6:23 AM

I’m all for updating the look and feel, but as a football fan these early images don’t translate at all to watching an actual game. The combination of game angles and stat bars in the samples dont match how 99.9% of game footage is shot.

The goal (at least for me) is to have the stat graphics be as unobtrusive as possible. It’s hard to tell from these screens, because (as in the first sample) theres no way team scores and clock status are going to be layered over players asses and helmets. likewise, even with a giant hi-def screen, almost none of the game will be shot wide enough to accommodate whatever is going on in that last screen.

90% of game footage, where you actually need these stat lines, is shot pulled back from the field from a simple elevated sideline camera.

16. Jason April 29, 2010 at 7:41 AM

From a design standpoint, these look great. But I have a feeling that Cina & Young don’t watch a lot of football. I think the most successful stats overlays (as of late) have been the ones that get the hell out of the way, but at the same time are always there with all the information you need. I think the designs here are way too distracting and make it difficult to focus on what’s going on in the frame. Some elements (touchdown, penalty, and everything in the last example) are way too large, and I don’t understand why they are avoiding the perimeter of the frame so much. I want all graphics as far to the outside as possible when I’m watching sports.

17. Jason April 29, 2010 at 7:44 AM

And also – Couldn’t they have at least labeled the teams correctly?

18. Ian April 29, 2010 at 8:13 AM

I think you said it all with “I’m not a huge sports fan.” These graphics take way too much space away from the event. The touchdown thing is ridiculous.

I wonder if the fact that they didn’t bother to put the right teams is indicative of how much sports the designers watch. Doesn’t look like it’s much.

19. Jeff April 29, 2010 at 12:14 PM

I personally think these are awful for what their supposed to convey. I can also guarantee FOX will not use any of this.

20. YHBHS April 29, 2010 at 12:22 PM

i never watch sports… but, looking at this design, i have to agree. they take up too much space on the television… maybe 1/10th of the size on the lower right hand corner perhaps?

21. pedro freenandes April 29, 2010 at 1:24 PM

What, too big?! Is being too big worse than animated stupid mascots/figures/whatever? That does not deviate the attention in the first place? I think it’s a great improvement…

I’m a soccer fan. I wish the graphics looked like this. I have a little TV in my bedroom and I can’t see the f*** score!!!!!!!!!!!! I think this would be just perfect for the televised sports on this side.

This would great for the Olympic games!!! Hopefully, we’ll have nice ones in London. Stay tuned to that!!

22. Mark April 29, 2010 at 2:08 PM

Very cool, I think. Looking forward to watching them live! It’s really interesting how web design and even video game design has influenced television graphics, which were in turn important influencers of web and video games!

23. Dr. Oh No April 29, 2010 at 3:53 PM

Granted, the design and color are kind of cool, I find all of these very obtrusive.

24. drew April 30, 2010 at 12:58 AM