‘Beetle Queen Conquers Tokyo’

I think we’re all aware that Japanese culture is quite different from anywhere else in the world, but I think it’s these quirks that also make them so interesting. Take for example their obsession with insects. A new movie coming out called Beetle Queen Conquers Tokyo is about the fascination some Japanese have with insects, and I guess beetles specifically. The documentary actually looks pretty rad if it’s anything like the trailer above.

From a Western point of view it seems kind of weird fascination but it’s a topic that I’m excited to see being explored. Kind of like spelling bees (no pun intended) there’s something so mundane but interesting about these hobbies. Also, is the song a reworking of the White Stripes’ Seven Nation Army? It’s pretty rad. They also have one of the best film posters I’ve seen in a while…

9 Comments ‘Beetle Queen Conquers Tokyo’

1. Ryan April 23, 2010 at 2:31 AM

I saw it a few months back as part of the Glasgow Film Festival – it’s really, really good. Very meditative, and in parts almost like a cross between a David Attenborough relaxation tape and an abstract electro music video. Jessica Oreck’s narration meanders all over the place in a good way, too. Well worth a watch.

2. The Hausfrau April 23, 2010 at 2:52 AM

Ah, yes–the Japanese fascination with mushi! Definitely one of the quirks I love and miss about Japan after living there for six years… The film looks cool.

3. Pingback: KN | Kitsune Noir » 'Beetle Queen Conquers Tokyo' « Tokyo Bookmarker

4. rent April 23, 2010 at 11:28 AM

This looks rad. Definitely checking it out.

5. Pingback: Beetle Queen Conquers Tokyo - Goodmorning & Goodnight

6. lematos April 23, 2010 at 1:31 PM

Interesting that I was playing the new Caribou Hannibal song with the trailer, the match was perfect.

7. Pingback: links for 2010-04-23 - Nerdcore

8. Mo April 23, 2010 at 11:09 PM

I saw this at the Vancouver film fest in the fall. It was so poetic for a documentary, and was the standout for me of all the films I saw.

I’m so looking forward to her next film!

9. k December 7, 2010 at 11:38 PM

can’t believe you’d compare entomology to spelling bees! insects are amazing. I’m sure you appreciate that, however.