Le Corbusier and Cathedral Collage

This video was featured on archdaily last week and I was a little disappointed that all of the comments on the post were about how “useless” the video was. Maybe these naysayers would have enjoyed a video about waterproof membrane details better… or hair restoration… but I think they’re kind of missing the point. Clearly, this is not an objective narrative about the history of high gothic architecture as it relates to high modernism. No, no, no. While this video does use several photographs of historically significant buildings, I don’t think you could construe this video as being instructive. But just because the video doesn’t tell you the same things that wikipeida can doesn’t mean that it is useless.

…But maybe you agree with them.

The video’s creator is Rob Carter, who you may know from his band, Matchbox20. Just kidding. Rob is artist who was born in England and now lives and works in Brooklyn.

12 Comments Le Corbusier and Cathedral Collage

1. pedro freenandes April 22, 2010 at 9:25 AM

This is a beautiful post.
    The video show a Corbu building being transformed into a cathedral. That is it.

I love the animation with all the collage details. The sound-scape is beautiful with all that paper talking. The occasional colours, the communication between the two architectural languages.
    Whomever does not find this inspiring and intriguing is clearly not sensitive enough for architecture practice.

As a bonus, i was led to think about reconstruction, maximalism and Lebbeus Woods. So i’d like to think this is a video-manifesto favouring formal evolution aspects. Specifically i was thinking about the American Organicism.

2. justsayin' April 22, 2010 at 10:33 AM

rob thomas is the lead singer of matchbox 20.

3. Bobby SolomonBobby Solomon April 22, 2010 at 10:36 AM

@Justsayin’ – Yeah Alex, get your pop culture references right.

4. Alex DentAlex Dent April 22, 2010 at 10:42 AM

OK, OK, OK… I know Rob Thomas is not Rob Carter. Am I the only one that can read or see the “Just kidding?”

5. Anna April 22, 2010 at 12:30 PM

oh my god, that animation was delicious. And reminded so much of Monty Python with the muted sound effects. Brilliant.

6. Matt April 22, 2010 at 3:44 PM

I saw this at the museum of arts and design in NY a few months ago…very cool, however the archdaily hating is pretty unnecessary. It’s a fantastic website.

7. john April 22, 2010 at 4:32 PM

only someone who has never been to experience the beauty of la tourette, or was unmoved by the silence there, would choose to make such a useless video.

8. Alex DentAlex Dent April 22, 2010 at 4:56 PM

Misunderstanding abounds! To be clear, I am not hating on archdaily. If I’m hating on anybody, it’s the archdaily haters who posted comments about this video being useless.

9. Bobby SolomonBobby Solomon April 22, 2010 at 7:28 PM

@Matt – Yeah, there’s no hating on ArchDaily in there at all, he clearly said commentors. We’re all big fans of ArchDaily, they’re linked in the sidebar :)

10. Chipotle April 22, 2010 at 9:01 PM

I totally agree with you Alex, if not for gothic architecture would not modern architecture, mainly by its structural developments contributed. I guess nowdays nobody reads viollet-le-duc or ruskin, shame

11. Pingback: Reduktion vs. Überfluss – Le Corbusier goes Cathedral - TheJunction

12. d2p April 27, 2010 at 5:50 PM

take that!, you breton brut bastard!