‘Giving Up the Gun’ by Vampire Weekend

I’m really surprised that I haven’t seen Vampire Weekend’s new video for their song Giving Up the Gun in more places, so I thought I should definitely share it. This is one of the better songs off of the album, so I’m glad they chose this one to start out with, and well, the video is pretty hysterical.

The whole thing is based around a tennis tournament where our protagonist, a cute redhead girl named Jenny, has to play against a series of random people. To start off, the tournament’s referee is RZA, which is amazing. Every tournament should be ref’ed by a Wu Tang member, though we all know the best commentary would have been Ol’ Dirty, rest in peace. Then you have her opponents, the first being Joe Jonas of the Jonas Bros. as well as Jake Gyllenhaal as an alcoholic. But it doesn’t end there, cuz’ there’s still a random appearance by Lil Jon as Jenny’s tennis coach.

I think this is too funny, and I’m glad the band doesn’t take themselves very seriously. I’ve read in some places that this is selling out and blah blah blah… it’s a music video, it’s a fun, random idea, so just enjoy it. Plus there’s the entire look of the video with it’s black, white and red color palette. That and with the bits of slow motion I think this is a great video that reminds me of the good ol’ days of MTV.

8 Comments ‘Giving Up the Gun’ by Vampire Weekend

1. Apap_Creations February 26, 2010 at 6:37 AM

“So I need to work on my backhand?”

“HEYEEAAAAH!”

Great video for a great band. Thanks for posting this.

2. Pingback: Geemu :: Clement & Co.

3. Santiago February 26, 2010 at 9:32 AM

This is awesome, I love all the celebrity appearances.

4. COCOCALVES February 26, 2010 at 3:26 PM

wow really? stupid video, I love Vampire Weekend but Contra is subpar, very disappointing, hope for a new EP soon tho!

5. Kyle John Hollings February 26, 2010 at 8:59 PM

“Every tournament should be ref’ed by a Wu Tang member, though we all know the best commentary would have been Ol’ Dirty, rest in peace.”

Word.

6. Nick February 27, 2010 at 12:23 AM

Sweet video, thanks for sharing!

7. mohamed February 28, 2010 at 12:15 PM

totally agrre with you,

one of the best of the album !

8. Matty Mo November 27, 2010 at 9:15 PM

The red head seems to appear in some of their other videos/ She was in the Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa video too! I don’t know her relationship to the band, but it’s always good to have a cute redhead as a reoccurring thing.