‘Grindin’ by Nobody Beats The Drum

If I had to describe this video in a brief sentence I’d have to say it’s, “one of the best music videos I’ve ever seen ever.” The video was created by a guy named Rogier van der Zwaag for the band Nobody Beats The Drum. Roger acts as the visual artist for the band so he was tasked to create the video for the song Grindin’, and what he’s done has blown my mind. Using nothing but spray-painted wooden blocks and stop-motion he’s created a visual experience that’s absolutely brilliant.

All in all there were 4085 photos taken, and he meticulously put together this visual insanity. I think it was pretty clever that he technically only shot a quarter of the video, then flipped it both horizontally and vertically in post. My absolute favorite part is when he uses the black lights to make the blocks glow, it just looks really amazing. Not to mention that the video totally reflects the frantic nature of the song, I mean, to me this is perfect synthesis of art and music.

If you’d like a (comical) behind the scenes look at the video you can click here.

9 Comments ‘Grindin’ by Nobody Beats The Drum

1. kevin February 25, 2010 at 11:37 AM

that’s incredible. everything is timed so perfectly..and even the smallest flashes of color make sense to the music. massive respect for this guy.

2. Jason February 25, 2010 at 1:51 PM

Did you watch “The making of Grindin'”?

3. Ivy February 25, 2010 at 5:12 PM

This is probably one of the most amazing things I have seen in a long time.

4. Jordan February 25, 2010 at 5:31 PM

5. Jango Jim February 26, 2010 at 2:33 AM

that totally made my day ! another reason why you should keep playing with blocks

6. Vasakjams February 27, 2010 at 4:15 AM

Mmm, you guys should check out Oskar Fischinger’s “Komposition in Blau” (1935), can’t find the video online, but this video is pretty much a copy of that (always wanted to do that myself).

7. Abel February 28, 2010 at 9:17 AM

Found it: http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/kBpPBtQ48v0/

Wow. Yeah, seeing “Komposition in Blau” definitely slants my perception of this video. Oh well, still impressive. He could’ve done that in cg so much faster (while still making it feel like live action) but I’m wondering if going through this stop-mo process actually spurred some of the creativity behind the movement…

8. Pingback: ‘Grindin’ – Nobody Beats The Drum « nathan williams | simiant.com