#musicmonday

Phew, can’t believe it’s already Monday afternoon already! Time certainly is flying today. I was able to grab a few new records over the weekend which I think are pretty great, so that’s what I’ll be sharing today.

1) The Radio Dept. – Yes, I know I wrote first about The Radio Dept. last week, but I was able to grab a copy of their new album Clinging to a Scheme and I can’t stop listening to it. Like their other albums it’s quite melodic but has that My Bloody Valentine drone to it. You absolutely need to hear the song Heaven on Fire (which will probably be on the next Mixcast).

2) Joanna Newsome – I was really excited for this album, especially after hearing Good Intentions Paving Company. But I have to say that the whole thing just kind of sounds the same so far. And it’s like 30 songs long… 30 songs of the same thing over and over. It’s not exactly a bad thing, I was just hoping for a bit more musical diversity. I shall listen to it more and see if I this opinion changes.

3) Lawrence Arabia – This was such a great find over the weekend. Lawrence Arabia is basically James Milne, a New Zealand based musician who’s like Dr. Dog with a Beatles twist (hear: The Undesirables) to it, make sense? The guy is a genius and will be featured on this week’s Mixcast as well. I highly suggest checking out his newest Chant Darling, that is if you can find it.

As usual feel free to add me on Last.fm by clicking here.

16 Comments #musicmonday

1. Skyler February 22, 2010 at 5:16 PM

Definitely check out the new Yeasayer. It’s been on repeat the last two weeks and I’m still loving it.

2. BobbyBobby February 22, 2010 at 5:22 PM

@Skyler – Definitely didn’t like the new Yeasayer. I feel like they’re trying too hard to be weird at this point, it’s just not my style.

3. Craig February 22, 2010 at 5:36 PM

I recently stumbled across Cymbals Eat Guitars “Why There Are Mountains”. It has some really fantastic tracks on it. Sounds like they would be spectacular live.

4. Dalen February 22, 2010 at 5:40 PM

Yes! The new Radio Dept. is just soooo good!

Bobby, have you heard The Morning Benders? Their new album is outstanding as well. Check it out!

5. Simon February 22, 2010 at 5:44 PM

Give Feral Children’s “Second to the Last Frontier” a listen. They’re great and sound kind of like Modest Mouse, Wild Beasts and Sunset Rubdown mixed together.

6. Adam February 22, 2010 at 5:59 PM

Memoryhouse – The Years EP
    – Melodic chillwave with breathy female vocals. Lately (Deuxieme) samples the “Phone Call” refrain from Eternal Sunshine of The Spotless Mind score.

Ducktails – Acres of Shade
    – Two tracks compiling 20 minutes total of sparkling drone and ambience. Side project from member of Real Estate.

7. Adam February 22, 2010 at 7:46 PM

A music video on Vimeo compelled me to check out the South Korean indie scene, lots of amazing stuff to be found. One of the stand-outs for me is Sunkyeol (??).

You can download one of their best tracks, I’ll Write When I’m There, at http://bit.ly/kLYmT (it’s a lengthly post, cmd+f will be your friend).

8. Justin February 22, 2010 at 7:59 PM

Plants & Animals (Parc Avenue Album). I am really surprised they haven’t already showed up in your shuffle.

Also, you should check out Timber (The New Gentleman’s Shuffle).

9. Jason February 22, 2010 at 8:49 PM

New album Rain Machine by Kyp Malone of TVOTR fame is a new favorite of mine.

“New Last Name”

10. Mike February 22, 2010 at 9:01 PM

Nurses’ album Apple’s Acre was the best album of 2009 in my mind and haven’t seen them talked about anywhere.

11. Lucy February 22, 2010 at 11:07 PM

Yay, Lawrence Arabia!! I really love his song ‘The Beautiful Young Crew’.

12. c February 22, 2010 at 11:26 PM

right now i’m listening to johnny flynn. he’s signed to lost highway records

j. tillman has a wonderful voice. he joined fleet foxes as their drummer either last year or two years ago. but he’s come out with a couple of albums before and since then.

my friend just recommended me air france.
    um, and for a throwback i got tigermilk by belle & sebastian on vinyl.

i like joanna newsom’s new record. probably because her voice is better now than it used to be and ..i don’t know, something about it makes me want to keep listening.

13. Josh February 23, 2010 at 5:32 AM

I would definitely check out Lightspeed Champion’s new album, although his older one is good too.

I second Two Door Cinema Club and The Morning Benders.

14. fede February 23, 2010 at 6:33 AM

i grabbed a free mp3 download of “heaven’s on fire” yesterday and by now the playcount on my itunes is up to 21. a fantastic track.

15. aidan February 23, 2010 at 6:46 AM

The Joanna Newsom album seems like a grower to me. My first listen through I was really underwhelmed. Put it on your ipod and grab your good headphones (i’m just assuming you have both of these things) and listen to the first disc while sitting in a comfy spot doing something fairly mindless (I chose to draw pictures of bunnies, but you do what works for you- heh) and just let it soak in.

The first disc is the only one I’ve really had the chance to unpack, but once I did I can’t help noticing the beauty of it all. Starting with the vocal melody of Easy and continuing through to the final punch of Baby Birch.

To me it’s a lot like Heartland. I wasn’t too impressed the first time I listened to that album because there’s a lot to it you don’t notice if it doesn’t have your full attention.