Monopoly Gets A New Look

Monopoly has a rather sordid past, or so says Wikipedia, but it dates back to 1904 when a woman named Elizabeth (Lizzie) J. Magie Phillips created a game called The Landlord’s Game. This is believed to be the earliest incarnation of the game, though it’s gone through many a change in 100+ year history. Recently though Hasbro has given the classic game a rather contemporary twist, one I don’t think I’m so fond of.

The new version now features a round board, which I guess makes it edgy? They’ve also ditched cash altogether, opting for only credit cards which makes it feel more contemporary. Although, in our current economic climate I’m not sure if a lot of people are as spend happy as they used to be… I guess overall I feel like they’re just trying to make this classic game feel new and cool, but it doesn’t vibe with me at all.

Oh yeah, and the board plays songs like Rihanna’s Umbrella and Beyonce’s Crazy in Love… I think Hasbro needs to go directly to jail, they should not pass go, and should not collect $200 (or however much this game costs).

13 Comments Monopoly Gets A New Look

1. KingTreehouse February 10, 2010 at 9:39 AM

Wow this is literally garbage.

2. Anna February 10, 2010 at 9:45 AM

Blah, I hate to point this out in such a public forum but I think you’re looking for the word “sordid” not “sorted.” Feel free to delete this comment if you’d like.

(And if it comes as any assuagement I used to say “For all intensive purposes” instead of “for all intents & purposes.” For years I said this! Oh dear…)

3. Martin February 10, 2010 at 10:05 AM

I think I’ll stick to my Simpsons version. This looks like complete poo, although the credit cards are a good idea, bypassing any money counting/banking disputes.

And did you hear Ridley Scott might be directing a Monopoly movie? Ugh.

4. RVS February 10, 2010 at 11:31 AM

Monopoly is great but not the credit card versions etc. I prefer to play the version with cash.

5. jleff February 10, 2010 at 12:59 PM

I hope the last part about playing those songs was a joke…

6. Ryan February 10, 2010 at 1:30 PM

Bypassing counting/banking disputes?! Martin, are you crazy? How else are you going to set up those invaluable grudge-match alliances, or get to the point where you’re all throwing hotels at each other across the table?

I like the round shape, and the inclusion of little positions for your houses to go on, which the original sort of lacked – if you had a full set, a few pieces on the square got fairly cluttered. But they should fire whoever suggested the music, the credit cards and the complete scrappage of a centre-spot to put all the tax money. I know it’s not in the actual rules, but landing on Free Parking with thousands tossed sloppy in the middle of the board is too sweet to mess with…

7. Graham February 10, 2010 at 1:32 PM

Actually, the round board makes it less edgy, doesn’t it?

8. Chris L February 10, 2010 at 2:02 PM

Based on this butchering of the board, I wonder how badly they messed with the game pieces. Out with the top hats and schnauzers, in with the corporate-sponsored game pieces.

9. BobbyBobby February 10, 2010 at 2:05 PM

@Chris L. – You get to be golden arches, a Na’vi, Dale Earhardt NASCAR car, Oprah or the throwback character Yo! Noid.

10. thomas February 10, 2010 at 5:01 PM

i guess i must have slept for about two months and it’s already april 1st ;)

11. Pingback: Random images from the interwebs - Page 28 - DesignersTalk

12. Holly February 11, 2010 at 10:12 AM

I’m not so keen on the design but I respect the fact they’ve tried to come up with something diferent, I think for us who know the ‘old’ version well, well, we’ll always stick to that but for the younger generation (those who are just at the age of being able to play board games) it may well appeal more.

If i’m not mistaken, they’re still making the ‘old’ version? Surely this is more of an experiment than anything else?

13. Ben Glass February 11, 2010 at 10:07 PM

The counting and banking disputes were a part of the game. If you take away all the inefficiencies and corruption then all you have left is Monopoly on the Nintendo. It played similarly to the game, but it just did not have any soul.