‘Avatar: The Last Airbender’ Trailer

I’ve never been more excited about a movie that seems so contrary. Avatar: The Last Airbender is new movie that is directed by M. Night Shyamalan based on a children’s cartoon about a boy who can control the element of air. The first oddity is M. Night, who’s last great film was Unbreakable (though some will argue this) which was released back in 2000. The second weird thing is that it’s a live-action movie based on a cartoon that I definitely didn’t grow up with, and I’ve only seen two episodes ever. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed what I saw, in fact based on the trailer above I think I saw the episodes that the movie is based on.

But like I said, I’m really excited for this. I think as long as they don’t stray too far from the original and make it have a bunch of fun, action-y stuff, it should be great to watch. I also think it’s great that Mr. Shyamalan cast Noah Ringer as the main character Aang, a kid from Texas who’s just an amazing martial artist, instead of trying to stuff some B-list Disney star in a gi.

18 Comments ‘Avatar: The Last Airbender’ Trailer

1. Eric February 4, 2010 at 3:29 PM

I would strongly recommend watching the entire series for that show. One of the better shows I have ever seen.

2. James February 4, 2010 at 3:56 PM

Man, a 30 second preview wasn’t long enough.

3. Cat February 4, 2010 at 4:40 PM

SO effing excited. I’m a maniac for good cartoons, and Avatar is one of my favorite. I totally agree with you on Unbreakable, and I hope that M Night achieves something closer to that with this flick.

4. Adam February 4, 2010 at 8:53 PM

I’m a huge fan of the cartoon – and the trailer does look amazing – though I’m skeptical of how dark it is. This feels like “300” to me, whereas the cartoon does an incredible job of balancing heavy stuff (esp. for a kids show) with humor. I mean – where’s Appa?!

I remain optimistic though =)

5. Rosalee February 4, 2010 at 9:01 PM

Ok the effects look amazing so does Ang, but where is the brightness and the light heartedness that is Avatar. Maybe it is all the trailer editor’s fault this is coming across as a completely dark movie. The story is a complete balance of light heartedness and serious, this just looks all dark. Sokka’s is a completely light comedic relief character and if the Shyamalan has abandoned this it is really sad. We accept these are two different mediums but some of the happy times are the soul of Avatar and cannot be excluded. There are also many still upset with the casting of mostly white people in the roles that should have clearly been people of asian or of Native American descent, but we will see how the actors come across.

6. chris February 5, 2010 at 1:06 AM

i never liked the cartoon solely because of it’s art style. I guess i’m kind of shallow like that, but the movie trailer does look cool. I’ll have to check it out when it hits theaters.

7. Brennan Frugé February 5, 2010 at 10:56 AM

Awwwwwwwwww shit!!! I am psyched! I’ve watched the whole series and loved it and this trailer looks awesome. I don’t mind if they make it a little more grown up. They need to if people are going to take it seriously. However, I agree with Adam. They better not leave out Appa.

8. Chipotle February 5, 2010 at 4:23 PM

I didn’t knew about this movie, or the cartoon for that matter, but totally agree with you, looks pretty amazing. One thing is for shure: lately the movie trailers are so important and so it’s music, like the trailer for Hellboy 2 with a Rammstein’s song, or the Ironman with the obvious song by Black Sabbath.

9. CHEF February 5, 2010 at 11:21 PM

I don’t see how you can say “I hope they don’t stray far from the original” when you’ve only seen 2 episodes of the show. You really should watch the whole series first! jump on it!

10. Pingback: Avatar: The Last Airbender Trailer - Goodmorning & Goodnight

11. Mike February 7, 2010 at 8:16 AM

I’m too old to really watch cartoons but I can’t help it Avatar is sucha cool show and I never really thought about it turning into a film but it seems quite fitting!

12. shtl February 7, 2010 at 11:06 PM

Funny how American action movies looks more and more like Asian/HK action movies. ;) Witch is in fact, afaic, a very good thing for US films anyway: loop is closed?!
    Hope for them, as well as for public, that they did enroll a skilled and experienced action choreographer to manage action complex scenes ;)

13. BobbyBobby February 8, 2010 at 7:05 PM

@Justin – The same could be said about straight people playing gay characters. It sucks, but who can change it?

14. Justin February 8, 2010 at 7:11 PM

@Bobby I guess you have a point there. Safe to say Hollywood turns everything into mainstream friendly watered down entertainment for the masses!

Love the site by the way, (I’m a frequent visitor!)

J

15. CHEF February 11, 2010 at 12:38 AM

It was an American cartoon made into an American movie. Aang had big blue eyes in the cartoon. Show me 1 Asian person with big blue eyes. and for the most part a lot of the characters match their animated counterparts very well.. at least watch the movie before you dismiss it.

16. Baldwin February 12, 2010 at 6:29 AM

Loved the cartoon, not gonna lie. Hope this is good, I think the world as a whole was what I enjoyed, it was very creative.