G.I. Joe The Animated Movie Intro

The other day for whatever reason I started thinking about the opening credits of the G.I. Joe movie, you know the animated one from 1987? I found it with a little difficulty but it was totally worth it. I remember watching the scene above when I was really young, I mean the movie came out when I was 5, so it must have been some time after that. That opening is what I think of when I think of G.I. Joe.

So I was quite curious to see how horrible the new live-action movie was. I visited my nearest video store (read: Google) and watched the whole damn thing. I really can’t understand how you can screw up a movie so badly. They didn’t shoot blue and red lasers, everyone was related in some way, and Snake Eyes had a face built into his costume.

I don’t even need a complex plot line! Just make it a war movie about people shooting at each other and beating one another up, I would have been happy! I think Quentin Tarantino should have done G.I. Joe instead of Inglourious Basterds. His version could have been a mix between Basterds and Kill Bill, with weird, over the top characters and lots of action. Any other directors out there that would have been good for this movie? Maybe Paul Greengrass’ Bourne-style version?

12 Comments G.I. Joe The Animated Movie Intro

1. bobby t. January 28, 2010 at 7:57 PM

ah, i absolutely love that animated opening sequence… it’s what in part led me to get a degree in animation and fuels my interest in cartoons to this day!

tarantino could’ve made an awesome gi joe, but my pick would have been paul verhoven.

2. PT January 28, 2010 at 7:58 PM

Yeah i think they stuffed up this movie big time.. i had to turn it off it was annoying me so much..

3. korey January 28, 2010 at 8:27 PM

to answer your question: Jim Jarmusch, of course.

4. Corey Thompson January 28, 2010 at 8:59 PM

Maybe Robert Rodriguez? He could probably make a rad GI Joe film. Personally though I didn’t think the GI Joe movie was that bad, but I never watched the animated series. I was a Transformers (By the way those movies were bad!) and Ninja Turtles kid growing up.

5. rawbean January 28, 2010 at 9:31 PM

I did not see this post coming.

6. BobbyBobby January 29, 2010 at 12:47 AM

@Rawbean – That’s how it is around here, haha…

7. David Galletly January 29, 2010 at 1:46 AM

I remember watching this over and over (although it was ‘Action Force The Movie’ here in the UK). Just after the opening, there was a great scene where a scary lizard-lady battled her way into the HQ using all sorts of weird bio weapons. It still makes my inner 10 year old hyped: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewcDrEvkITc (starts about 3 mins in).

8. rburch January 29, 2010 at 3:10 AM

I have the Animated G.I. Joe movie and watch now and again still. I was really creeped out from it as a kid. Cobra Commander turning into a snake and all the Cobra-lalalalalala! It took the regular G.I. Joe cartoon to a whole new level. If you haven’t seen it I think you should.

9. Chipotle January 29, 2010 at 9:46 AM

The only positive thing I could say about the new movie is definitely Sienna Miller on black leather from head to toe

10. Erik Wallace January 29, 2010 at 10:18 AM

If Sergio Leone were still alive I’m confident he could do an amazing western adaptation of G.I. Joe.

11. Pingback: epic intro « A dice&dice blog by mikey