Apple’s New iPad

Here’s a fact. Apple yesterday released the most technologically advanced personal computer in the world, dubbing it the iPad. A combination between an iPhone and a Macbook, they have created a new category of computers.

And what are you doing? You’re bitching about it.

My favorite right now are people who are already naysaying the device, saying that it’s a failure because it can’t do _______? That it’s just a giant iPhone, who cares? To those who say that I ask, have you tried it yet? Cuz’ my guess will be that most likely none of you have. I can only think of one person I know (through Twitter only, hello Hamish) who’s actually had a chance to touch the damn thing. But no, you already know in your heart of hearts that this device is not special, and that when you get to try it for yourself that you’re going to be disappointed beyond belief.

For those who are disappointed by it, who think it’s a rehash of the iPhone, I honestly feel bad for you. I know it doesn’t cook you toast, and I know you wanted it to have lasers, but you’re completely overlooking the fact that no one else on Earth could make a device anything like this. Please prove me wrong, I would love to see some competition on this device. But like the iPhone, no other competitor has come close to matching the same kind of experience. Sure, Google released the Nexus One, which supposedly is great, but it’s no iPhone. How many “iPhone killers” have come and gone now…?

I personally think it looks amazing, and that a device like this makes sense for me. I currently own an iMac and an iPhone, so I’m set at home and I can manage when I’m away. But I wish I had a laptop so I could write during the day and leave my den every now and then. So my choice is between a device like the iPad or a laptop. After everything I’ve seen today, I honestly think I can do most (read: MOST) of the things I could do on a laptop, but the iPad seems more… well, fun. And what’s wrong with wanting something fun to work (and play) with?

I know I won’t sway a lot of you from doubting the iPad, and that’s fine. But before you go around saying how stupid/fail/ugly/unnecessary the iPad is, how about you reserve your judgement until you actually get to use it for a few minutes, how does that sound?

P.S. They could call it the iDouche for all I care, if it’s amazing who gives a rip?

Update: First I want to say how awesome I think it is that you’re all writing in about this, especially that you’re all being fairly respectful and coherent. I didn’t have to delete anyone’s jackass comments.

Second, for those who don’t understand why the device doesn’t, and will never, have Flash, read this article by John Gruber of Daring Fireball called Apple, Adobe and Flash. If you own an iPhone you know you don’t need Flash, and with the coming of HTML5 things are going to change. He perfectly sums it up for you.

Third, Apple is not here to braid our hair and be our best friends. First and foremost they are a company and they are here to make money, no matter what their PR is trying to say. To think differently would be foolish. Yes, they also design some of the best looking products out there, but they are here to make money. Capitalism, folks.

92 Comments Apple’s New iPad

1. Mike January 28, 2010 at 2:25 AM

I think the iPad is great! Personally I’m more excited about the possibilities this brings in terms of pushing what’s plausible with a touchscreen and I look forward to seeing some amazing new software that take advantage of it.

Of course at the moment to me it’s more a luxury than a necessity but when the time comes I will grab one.

Quake in your boots other electronics companies!

2. Aaron January 28, 2010 at 2:29 AM

Coolness factor = 10
    Design = 6 :(
    at least thats how i feel anyway.

3. BobbyBobby January 28, 2010 at 2:31 AM

@Aaron – Just curious, why only a 6 on the design factor?

4. Drew January 28, 2010 at 2:36 AM

Kind of bummed that it doesn’t have a camera on it, would have been a great portable iChater.

5. BobbyBobby January 28, 2010 at 2:44 AM

@Drew – That’s honestly the one thing I would have done differently. Being able to video chat on the go like that would be really great. Hopefully it’ll be included into future generations.

6. Lorenzo January 28, 2010 at 3:01 AM

Personally I think Apple lost a great occasion to use their amazing multi-touch technology on something REALLY innovative, because the iPad IS a giant iPhone since the OS is the same.
    That being said the iPad remains a beautiful piece of hardware (it would be much better with camera on the front for Skype and such…)

7. katie January 28, 2010 at 3:03 AM

The main deal-breakers for me are the lack of multi-tasking and lack of external inputs (it doesn’t have usb?!). So you can’t print an email, or listen to music and surf the web, or connect to your TV to watch a HD movie. iBooks and the web interface look lovely though. Much too simplistic for my needs.. but I’ll sure it’ll find an audience.

8. BobbyBobby January 28, 2010 at 3:08 AM

@Lorenzo – And what is this “REALLY innovative” idea you have in mind? Cuz’ if you can think of something better you should totally make one, it’s easy right?

@Katie – You can always listen to music no matter what you do, it’s one of the apps that runs in the background, just like on the iPhone. Clearly this isn’t a laptop, I think we need to stop thinking about it like it is. It’s in between an iPhone and a laptop.

9. katie January 28, 2010 at 3:16 AM

Nah i accept it’s supposed to be an entertainment/leisure device.. I think they confused the message a bit by putting iWork on it, if they marketed it purely for fun i’d have an easier time accepting it. Seems like a bit of a halfway house at the moment.. but it’s only G1, i’m sure it will evolve.

10. Lorenzo January 28, 2010 at 3:23 AM

@Bobby – I don’t know yet. Maybe I had only grown some huge expectations on this device and, since I already have an iPhone and a MacBook, it’s doesn’t appeal me so much…
    Don’t get me wrong, I always trusted Apple for their quality products, and the iPad is surely one of those.

11. Pingback: The most technologically advanced personal computer in the world - Linney Design

12. Greg January 28, 2010 at 3:31 AM

@Bobby – My thoughts exactly. I hate when people judge a product based on a few pics and a video they’ve seen online. Probably it’s just as hip to bitch about Apple no matter what, as it is to blindly follow the hype surrounding them. Both ways make one look stupid. Let’s just have the hype leave the room and watch what evolves from this.

That being said, there’s two things I’m extremely curious about:
    1. Will iBooks do the same for books, as iTunes did for music/movies?
    2. Will Apple’s own silicone soon appear in next-gen iPhones? (As so often, Gruber over at daringfireball.net nails it)

13. pedro freenandes January 28, 2010 at 3:33 AM

I need this for two things: to read and to read. Be it online journals or books. Sure it can do more things, but i wouldn’t care for the camera or any other extra anyway. Just amazingly simple and subtle in all it’s features. Yeah, like an iphone, that tiny screen always bitches me, so i was waiting for something like this. Because i don’t like carrying an expensive phone in the pocket – just voice/text/GPS.

Hopefully (if i get enough digital replacements), i can now put my books inside boxes; give away my bookcase; and save some money (if everything aligns correctly, you’ll save money!!!).

Welcome minimalistic routines, Goodbye lack of space. I will now have it for decoration!

14. pedro freenandes January 28, 2010 at 3:36 AM

@Bobby: It’s not between an iPhone and a macBook. It’s an iPad! :)

15. chris January 28, 2010 at 3:37 AM

its cool, but it seems like waste of money. You know apple has better models of this already made.. They are just slowly going to release them as time goes by. Imo it’s unsustainable design. So you get this product and then trash whatever product that’s better than it. The next year the ipad 2 (for lack of a better name) comes out. Now you’re going to trash your first ipad and put it with your other obsolete apple products because the ipad 2 is the shit. The following year the ipad panda edition (because everyone loves pandas!) comes out. You trash the shitty ipad 2 because ipanda is so amazing and well designed. Every year the cycle continues.. More trash piles up and the more environmental unfriendly we become. All those computer gadgets don’t get recycled. They pile up in our dumps taking up more and more space. Is it really worth it? The fact that it’s more fun can just lose its novelty appeal after a while. I think if this is something you’re going to get it should be something that will last.

16. JRameau January 28, 2010 at 3:38 AM

I am very interested in the iPad, I think alot of people’s thing about the announcement it wasn’t a surprise at all. Pretty much many people thought it would have been a oversized iphone and the other group of haters were waiting for different announcements like updates to their macbooks or verizon as carrier to the iphone.

I agree with the above comments that it should have a camera, but they didn’t show it running iChat, i don’t think. I assume its not to hard to port over. As for usb inputs you can print via wifi these days. It would be awesome if it had the same feature the macbook air had, where you could put a cd or dvd in your desktop and you could access on your air, that would be great on this. Plus I can’t stop comparing it to a laptop because I want it to replace my netbook more then I want it to be an alternative to getting a Kindle.

17. pedro freenandes January 28, 2010 at 3:39 AM

One more thing, sorry :)

Hopefully, everyone will see our websites clearer. Seriously, adapting the website for an iphone is stupid… Should be the other way around, i think :/

18. Simon January 28, 2010 at 3:42 AM

I agree with others that the idea that there’s a niche for the iPad between a smartphone and a laptop is maybe a bit skewed. But as a casual and fun portable device for people who don’t have a laptop and don’t quite need that versatility, it might do the trick.

Personally, I was interested in how it was going to involve books, and iBooks seems neat, but even so I just can’t get excited about scrolling through e-books compared to cracking through a paperback. I think for others iBooks will be the big attraction and for Apple it will become the focus…

19. Majo January 28, 2010 at 3:54 AM

“Plus we have yet to see even a fraction of the potential the iPad holds, you see, just like the iPhone this device is capable of anything. Jesus Diaz wrote a really amazing article over on Gizmodo about the iPad interface before it was released and in it he describes the iPhone, and thus the iPad, as being a “morphing machine.” That whatever you need the device to be, it is. It can transform from a camera, to a phone, to email, to a game, to a map, whatever you need is at your fingertips. This is huge, and the potential for future apps for the iPad is immense.”

Excuse me sir, but didn’t you just describe the basic functionality of any modern computer device? I do not intend to offend, I enjoy your design related writing a lot, but, seriously, read some of your sentences again and think about if they actually have some sort of meaning beyond being tautologies and truisms.

20. Kobayashi January 28, 2010 at 3:55 AM

I am not bitching about iPad, in fact I own a MacBook and iPhone too, and I don’t see why I need an iPad. Taking a step back, you could see how this whole universe work, “Hey guys, how could we squeeze more money out of these rich kids who already own every Apple product? Let’s make something they-think-they-need, but can live without. Let’s invent a brand new lifestyle, and draw these people in.”

I agree with you, “no one else on Earth could make a device anything like this.” But why don’t you ask yourself, do you need an iPad? I don’t. And Apple just created something I don’t need, but potentially want. Enzo Mari talked about good design in relation to aesthetic x ethic, and it is only ethically correct when a brand create something people truly need, not want.

“How about you reserve your judgement until you actually get to use it for a few minutes, how does that sound?” — totally agree, maybe then you won’t sound like such a fanboy.

K

21. Pupsi January 28, 2010 at 4:15 AM

“I know it doesn’t cook you toast, and I know you wanted it to have lasers, but you’re completely overlooking the fact that no one else on Earth could make a device anything like this.”

Actually…Nokia did it. Several years ago, when we didn’t had iPhone yet. It had WLAN, it was larger than those days “hey, it looks like a phone, but it’s just a computer”-minicomputers and it’s essential meaning was the possibility of browsing internet. Yet, I don’t remember how it was controlled (I bet it wasn’t poking with your finger, mostly likely with the specific pencil), and it didn’t had same much of applications than iPhone or what iPad will (or not to mentions, same amount of memory capacity), but the idea were the same: bigger than phones, lighter than real laptops, and specified to it like it was paper that you read. And remember, this was BEFORE iPhone and the technology of that days was crucial for that device success.

22. kellipop January 28, 2010 at 5:05 AM

amen

23. Steven January 28, 2010 at 5:11 AM

While I’m not disappointed with the iPad, I’m far more excited about Pranav Mistry’s sixth sense technology. It would cost about the same amount of money as a cheap iPad and is infinitely more useful. The only downside is walking around with a projector around your neck looking like you came out of a cyberpunk novel.

24. Nick January 28, 2010 at 5:29 AM

I think part of the reason for the disappointed reaction (apart from the usual people who just have to be THE FIRST to say it won’t work) is because the software on show wasn’t dramatically different from what’s already on the iPhone.

The iWork demonstration was the really intriguing part for me. That was interesting. Taking a desktop workflow environment, and making it so intuitive on the touchscreen. It looks really powerful, and showed where the larger screen really can make a difference.

I think once some cluey developers begin to release some apps that really harness the large screen in combination with the touch interface, it will really start to build steam. It seems like the first step towards a whole new way of interacting with our data and media (I know it’s now THE FIRST device of its kind, but I think ti will be the first that is embraced by the mainstream, casual non-techie audience). First steps are often difficult and ungraceful (and often land you right back on your ass), but they’re necessary if we’re ever going to develop better way of working.

25. MF January 28, 2010 at 5:46 AM

“…no one else on Earth could make a device anything like this”
    Just because Apple proved us it could be done, it doesn’t make the iPad any more better/appealing.
    Technically it appears to be a marvel.
    On the other hand the presentation failed to deliver what was the main goal of the device (better then a smartphon/better then a laptop).

I’m pretty sure that the interface/apps selection will prove S.Jobs point in a couple of months.

26. Jasper January 28, 2010 at 6:02 AM

I’m torn. I love what they’ve done with the iBook Store. If I had one, I’d probably read a load more. If the iBook store became like the app store in that anyone could submit to it, that’d be amazing for comics and stuff like that. The only thing I don’t like about it is that the iPhone OS leans more towards iPhone than MacBook (obviously). I thought that the device was going to be a work-from-this-instead type of thing, but wihtout multitasking and some form of window management it just isn’t.

If I come into some spare cash in the near future, I’ll probably buy one, but I won’t be rushing.

Also, the moaning was inevitable – remember the first iPhone launch?

27. erik January 28, 2010 at 6:04 AM

Dude your right this is huge, it’s the worlds first computer you can use while on the toilet comfortably, it will be the savior of the magazine and perhaps even newspaper industry!

28. Marc-Andre January 28, 2010 at 6:11 AM

I could not agree more with you.

It will be a great tool among other tools (read iPhone, Mac Book and Mac Pro).

I didn’t go to tech sites after the keynote until I had seen the keynote for myself because it was clear people would start bitching right away.

What I say was an interesting device that can do many things.

29. Graham J. January 28, 2010 at 6:13 AM

My problem is that it’s one step forward (from the iPhone) and two steps back (from a laptop). It’s missing CRUCIAL features such as the aforementioned camera a multitasking, but biggest of all (seeing as it relies on the web) is the lack of flash support. That in itself is a dealbreaker, but then combined with everything else it lacks (like real ports and connections), it really just is an expensive toy.

But worst of all, with apple, it’s always closed devices. I don’t trust them. Remember the whole 1984/Kindle scandal? I don’t want to have everything on my device at the mercy of whomever I purchased it from.

30. Jaime January 28, 2010 at 6:18 AM

I agree with you. Although I really think the name is baloney, as soon as I get a better grasp on what it can do and read some real reviews, my wallet will be empty.

31. Mike January 28, 2010 at 7:17 AM

I would rush out to buy one BUT, and this is a bit but, the device does not support flash. How can a device be called revolutionary and not support one of the most used plugins on the planet. During the demonstration when Jobs was showing the NYT website (one of the iPad media partners by the way) the dreaded blue lego block showed up. How can Apple continue to leave this out of portable devices ?

32. Brooke January 28, 2010 at 7:21 AM

well, finally someone says it how it is. thanks for putting people in their place, bobby.

33. Lamberg January 28, 2010 at 7:37 AM

I can agree that the numberous complaints about the iPad. I’m sure it’s a cool product. But unlike most other apple products this is one that I did not get the urge to buy. But I’m most likely a part of the target group.
    What dissapointed me was the lack of Macbook Pro update.

34. David January 28, 2010 at 7:47 AM

Bobby, I agree. I was a little disappointed when I realized there was no camera, but hey, that will likely happen soon enough right? To me, the real beauty is that this device has the potential to change the way people use computers in general. It may just save magazines from extinction, and while I love my spot color issues of wired, more e-zines would really be welcome, especially as a designer who has always wanted to work in publication. I think what people are generally complaining about are the bells and whistles and not realizing how great an object/platform this is and how game changing it will be.

Best, David

35. drop_shadow January 28, 2010 at 7:49 AM

I think non of us still know what the hell it really is. I have a feeling that after a couple months with this thing in the market people will only then start to realize what it is supposed to be. I can remember thinking ‘why I would need an iPhone?’ Now that I have one, its completely changed the way I work and communicate (for better or worse).

What i’m getting at is that I personally won’t make a fair call on this thing until its been used in the public for a good few months.

36. Steve H January 28, 2010 at 8:03 AM

Bobby, I agree that people shouldn’t be so quick to judge. When it was finally announced I was let down but I’ve cooled a bit on my disappointment. It isn’t perfect but it’s only a first generation product. Knowing Apple they’ll improve the design over time.

The bar is set so high because Apple is attempting to create a third category of device that sits between the iPhone and the Macbook. As one Lifehacker reader commented today, “Too large to be a smart phone, too simple to be a laptop, and too expensive to be an e-reader/netbook.” That’s a strong statement and it shows that this thing has to be special in order to justify purchasing it.

37. Jesse January 28, 2010 at 8:07 AM

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. My thoughts exactly.

38. Ian January 28, 2010 at 8:10 AM

Thank you for putting to words what I am sure quite a few of us have been thinking. I agree that this is a game changer on more then one level, and I do feel a bit deflated, but I am sure its because all we have heard about over the last few weeks is it has to have “this” or “that” and it going to do “this”, that we couldn’t but help to have some preconceived wish list and when it didn’t pan out, we cry “uh what an utter failure”. I also agree that I won’t be running out and buying it right away, but it is in my future for sure, especially if the bookstore opens its doors to everybody then just watch the renaissance of the written word (I can’t wait).

39. Scott January 28, 2010 at 9:03 AM

Amen Bobby. I remember when everyone freaked out when the first iMacs didn’t have floppy drives. People were like “WTF Apple”. I think this the same situation.

People had all of these expectations of being able to use the Adobe Suite on these things. They naysay because they haven’t seen anything like this before and have no idea what went into this.

Anyways, I don’t want to make this post about ripping on the naysayers. I’m super excited to see what publications will do with this. I hope it can be something like the sports illustrated tablet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntyXvLnxyXk

40. Aaron January 28, 2010 at 9:26 AM

Bobby,
    I posted this on Twitter today and resent it with an @ for you. Still think the iPad is an oversized iPhone? How about the reconceptualization of computing for the masses? Read this: http://ow.ly/11gKO

41. TA January 28, 2010 at 9:29 AM

I’m totally agree with you on this Bobby. I already have a lot of my friend bitching about it already. it’s just a bigger iphone blah blah blah…. they seem to a very strong opinion toward it.

:-(

42. Andre January 28, 2010 at 9:42 AM

Totally agreed that people still have to get in touch with it so they can truly say if they like it or not. But then, have you yourself tested the device so as to justify this immense fondness you have for it?

I think you are being a little contradictory.

But then you’re an Apple loyal customer, so your opinion is 100% loaded.

43. Jimmy January 28, 2010 at 10:19 AM

I think that many of us had expectations in line with what Apple claims to have been aiming for: something between an iPhone and a laptop. I’m not shrugging at the significant application changes, but I feel like their execution of this “third tier” device is somewhat flawed. It’s a powerful device, but I can’t justify the purchase because there’s no multitasking or flash and because I’d be chained to the app store and some DRM-laden book store. It’s like buying an awesome car that only runs on a specific type of gasoline, and you can’t drive and have air conditioning at the same time.

I’m holding out for OS 4 before I pass any real judgement though; I can’t help but hope that Jobs still has some cards up his sleeve.

I’ll get in line the day it’s jailbroken.

44. Alphonse January 28, 2010 at 10:34 AM

The beauty of the iPhone/iPod touch is that it fits in your pocket. The beauty of a laptop is you can take it home and do some serious work on it.

The iPad has great possibilities, but at this point its that expensive toy you don’t need.

45. Robert January 28, 2010 at 10:57 AM

I think this thing is amazing. No one is going to come close to it for a while, or ever. I think its going to open up so many ideas, especially for designers. I can see a really cool portfolio happening. Imagine showing up to your next interview with your spiffy new iPad and an entire interactive portfolio all ready to go. This is going to be big.

46. Pingback: B+S Notes—January 28, 2010

47. Dusty January 28, 2010 at 11:00 AM

The no Flash thing bothers me. I’m cool with the app micro-economy. The possibilities created for developers with little capital is great. But the write-an-app-or-go-home attitude is bullshit. It handcuffs content creators while making Apple money. And yes, I know, HTML5.

48. chris January 28, 2010 at 11:02 AM

a digital portfolio would actually be kind of cool with this.

49. Jason January 28, 2010 at 11:50 AM

If this had been released BEFORE an iPhone or iPod touch, sure, I’d understand. (Is it like the Zach Morris of iPhones?)

However, from reading the comments here it sounds as though there’s a lot of people willing to spend $500 for a stripped down iPad that doesn’t perform much more (and stores less) than an iPod touch. I really feel as though I’m missing something.

The idea is the go anywhere, do anything device? I own a Kindle (in no way comparing the iPad to a Kindle, hear me out). It’s a $260 device, which although versatile, and rather small, still manages to be awkward enough to ‘walk out the door with’, not to mention the constant threat of damage or theft. Independent of carrying a purse everywhere, (lucky ladies!) how does this bode for a $600 or $800 ‘portable’ device? I’d be freaking the hell out and eying people suspiciously on the train.

As I suggested the other day, Apple is at the top of their game, and unquestionably the leaders in personal device innovation. That said, blindly defending a company (as you mentioned, no one here has touched one) seems careless. I think the majority of your readers love Apple products, and can all agree the iPad is bad ass.

Is it bad ass enough to ignore the obvious overlap and redundancy for exhaustion Apple owners?

Jobs and his stone washed Jordache jeans (view pics from yesterday) hope so.

50. Jason January 28, 2010 at 11:51 AM

*existing Apple owners.

51. Aaron January 28, 2010 at 12:18 PM

@bobby it seriously just looks like the ripped off the screen of the 13″ macbook pro so yeah, thats why i thought the design aspect as disappointing. i liked it when all the different mac products looked different. now everything is kinda meshing together into a bland black and silver UNIBODY blob. oh well.

52. Chris January 28, 2010 at 12:23 PM

iPad looks tight. Everyone who is trashing it because you can’t cut HD video on it are way out of line. I think it’s perfect for it’s purpose. It was designed to do the basic things that we most often use a computer for – browsing, email, watching videos etc.
    Seems to make alot of sense to me. I’m a graphic designer and I don’t care that it doesn’t support Photoshop or Illustrator, that isn’t what I’d want to use it for at all.

I think a camera would have been tight though, especially for iChat. Might make it awkward or vomit-inducing for the person on the other end though, seeing as it’s a hand-held device.

53. Melissa January 28, 2010 at 12:27 PM

Umm. . . I just need to tell you that I love your blog so much more after reading this article. You’re totally right about the untapped potential of the iPad. While it may not make complete sense for me right now; I’m really excited to see where it will be in a year, or maybe two.

Oh, and I think my Mother-in-law just pre-ordered two of them just because.

54. bobby t. January 28, 2010 at 12:47 PM

i’d say that 90% of my personal computing is done on the couch, and it is almost always web browsing or consuming media… i work as a production artist and i have an imac at the office for those needs. when i do freelance design stuff on the side i use my macbook. but, i don’t need to use my macbook everyday for the majority of how i get my news or entertainment, or even just to look stuff up, or how to get somewhere.

people are let down with the ipad announcement because they were expecting something else but instead they got a whole new animal. this isn’t a tablet computer, this is a whole other, new way to experience what we use everyday. it’s not so much a powerhouse as it is a highly specialized instrument. and we already know how to use it. apple isn’t targeting these at the dedicated geeks; instead it’s for everyone else. the everyday, casual computer user is going to buy these by the truckload, especially when they see what they are capable of.

that being said, i am going to wait a bit, probably for the second gen, as i hate buyer’s remorse and i usually like the 2nd revision better. i admit i wanted a webcam in the ipad, but i can understand why it’s not there.

i think brian lam over at gizmodo said it best on twitter: everyone bitching is staring at the finger pointing the way to the moon.

55. ed January 28, 2010 at 12:57 PM

As for me I thought that iPad would have some more of the ‘artsy side’ to it (duh… bc its a tablet), so it would be possible to do some cool illustrations/sketches on the way. Oh well, no stylus, no pressure points, and although they showed an app for painting, its still not as comfortable as for example Adobe programs on Mac + Wacom.

For reading I wish they had some mode that gave the feeling of e-ink because after some time my eyes would evaporate.

And no camera….. (like others said) it would be great to use Skype on it.
    And no multitasking…(no comment)
    Arghhh… so thats it for the negative from me, but there are some good points too : D.

I love how photos and movies look on iPad, and the internet browsing is just so cool.
    I don’t play games that much, but darn.. I can’t wait to see what people come up with for that thing. I hope that more of the 3rd party software comes out for the iPad, so more of it’s possibilities are exposed. Applications can make this product a lot more amazing than it now is.

In my opinion Apple is on the right way and close to give us something amazing, but for now I’m not buying it… I’m waiting for iPad 2nd generation (or at last when it gets a camera)! : D

56. Johns Beharry January 28, 2010 at 12:57 PM

I just felt I had to comment cause you’re one of the few who actually get it right…

57. Pinball January 28, 2010 at 1:05 PM

I only use Apple products for my computing needs, I’ve converted two ex girlfriends, plus the current girlfriend, and my mum to MacBooks. So I like Apple products! BUT, the iPad stinks. The main problem I have with it, is that you are unable to use it as a computer on it’s own; it needs to be synched with another computer to even make the thing partly functional, and what’s the deal with no USB. If you want to use an actual keyboard you have to go out and buy the special dock connector keyboard. So now you have a keyboard that can only ever be used with one device. You can’t print anything. You can’t upload photos directly from your camera. You can’t sync your MP3 player with it. You can’t do a lot of stuff that you should be able to do

With the no flash support, everyone knows that flash isn’t brilliant; HTML5 is a lot better, but the simple fact of the matter is not many websites use HTML5 features yet. Youtube have only just started to introduce it. It’s poor form on Apple’s part to just pretend that websites that use flash don’t matter. Pretty arrogant really.

58. Ryan Hindinger January 28, 2010 at 1:06 PM

Well said. This will be a sleeper hit, just as the iPod was. The killer app on the iPod was the iTunes store. The killer app for the iPad is the iTunes store and the cloud.

59. Jake January 28, 2010 at 1:08 PM

Allow Flash, boot snow leopard (or let me remotely run my main machine from it so I can sit on the couch or use my computer in background when it’s running netflix, itunes movies, etc…), add usbs, wacom-ize it, and I’m in. It should be a portal for anything I want to do on a computer, but lighter, sleeker, and freeing – that’s the improvement.

60. Jason January 28, 2010 at 1:56 PM

@ Ryan

You know what else was a sleeper hit? The Macbook Air.

61. Matt January 28, 2010 at 2:04 PM

Its much more than a bigger ipod touch, its processor is almost twice as powerful and was designed by apple specifically for this purpose. This product is going to be able to run bigger and more complex apps. Iwork was an example of that, it seemed like less an app running on an ipod and more like a program running on a laptop/desktop in terms of functionality. Having a larger screen also enhances the possibilities for bigger, more sophisticated apps that run on this hardware and apples multitouch is going to be so nice on a big surface. For example, I can use a sequencer app on my ipod and push tiny buttons and do basic record and playback. On the ipad, I could use a huge sequencer app with bigger buttons and various other controls where I could stop and use a garageband like interface to edit/loop etc. All of a sudden this looks not only better than my ipod, but the touch might make it preferable even to my macbook pro and the ability for any amount of controls and options makes it better than even the hardware its simulating. Sign me up once the next gen comes out with some cameras. I’ll have fun being productive and creative with this thing, it doesn’t bother me if someone else doesn’t want to. Their loss.

62. saer January 28, 2010 at 2:36 PM

People will always complain. It’s the nature of the creatures. I for one don’t think the iPad, (sorry, I keep giggling, it does sound like a feminine hygiene product…), is for me. Though I can see it as a wonderful way to FINALLY get my parents to send and receive emails, browse the web and whatnot. It looks quite straightforward and may relax them from the ‘daunting’ task of using and maintaining a laptop or desktop. lol

63. Ben January 28, 2010 at 3:32 PM

It is possible to buy netbooks with touchscreens that fold down to act as tablets at the same pricepoint as the iPad.. except they’re actual computers http://bit.ly/c9NZSM . This isn’t the first time this has been done, it’s just the first time it’s been paired with Apple brand identity, which i guess helps tons of people find out about it?
    And if you’re only going to use it to read ebooks…why would you pay twice the cost of a kindle for something that’s harder on your eyes and more than twice as heavy

64. Brad January 28, 2010 at 4:41 PM

After reading the article and the comments, I just have one thing to say:

What can this product do that I can’t do right now?

Nothing.

Name one thing that I can’t do right now unless I had an iPad.

I can use an iPod Touch or an iPhone to run any of the apps that the iPad runs, I can listen to music on the go, I can browse the web on the go, I can read e-books, etc…

That is why it’s a disappointment, especially after Steve Jobs was quoted, “This will be the most important thing I’ve ever done.”

And I understand that I haven’t held or used an iPad yet, and neither have you, so I’m not saying that it’s a failure, but to defend it so vehemently already is obviously biased.

65. Brad January 28, 2010 at 4:55 PM

In addition, relying on AT&T’s service for their 3G coverage is a slap in the face to all of Apple’s fans. It has been made clear that they are not doing enough to keep up with iPhone owners. I think that the onslaught of negative remarks would have been quite a bit less if they announced they were going to have a contract with Verizon, Sprint, etc…

66. BobbyBobby January 28, 2010 at 5:06 PM

@Brad – Then stop complaining and don’t buy it. Pretty easy, huh?

67. Brad January 28, 2010 at 5:08 PM

@Bobby – I’m not complaining and am not trying to come off like I am, I’m just playing devil’s advocate to see why the majority of people on this post agree with you. Honestly, is there something that I can’t do that I could with an iPad? I really want to know.

68. BobbyBobby January 28, 2010 at 5:14 PM

@Brad – I dunno, I’ve never used it. The whole point was to keep an open mind because Apple has a great track record of making amazing products. Are you willing to say that Steve Jobs created a device that serves no purpose?

What about people who don’t have laptops such as myself? Or people without an iPhone? I’m sure they’d be doing a whole lot of things that they couldn’t do otherwise. Just because it doesn’t fit your life doesn’t mean it’s pointless.

69. Brad January 28, 2010 at 5:24 PM

@Bobby – I’m all for keeping an open mind about a product, but I think that the fact that it’s an Apple product is skewing quite a few people’s opinion on it. Can you imagine the amount of crap Microsoft released a 10″ tablet PC that ran only Windows Mobile? And only one application at a time?

And I’m not saying Windows Mobile and the iPhone OS is comparable, obviously the ladder is better, but you know what I’m saying.

I never said it was pointless, I said that it does nothing that I can’t do right now without dropping $500 or more on it.

As far as people without laptops, you might as well buy one now. If you’re going to spend $500 or more on this thing, get a product that has a better/safer quality build, can do more operations, and that will last longer than a year.

Just my two cents, and I know I’m in the minority (at least on this site I am) but I think that the points that I brought up have not been voiced yet.

70. Julio January 28, 2010 at 7:17 PM

The problem with the iPad, as Brad rationally sugests, is that it’s not just a product. The problem with the iPad, as Bobby mentioned in his first rant, is what it stands for: capitalism.

Let me explain myself, for I’m not against capitalism (nor favor it; my economic ideologies are moot, if not to say infantile in their lack of profound knowledge).
    The iPad stands for politics. If you favor it, you are -perhaps unawarely- supporting all of Apple’s marketing, technological and humane decissions. To say this is way too extreme, I know. However in this debate it seems impossible to remain grey; you’re either black or white, as Bobby clearly demonstrates: a sophisticated young man who can’t argue vehemently when it comes to Apple.
    (I understand your bottons are pushed right now by too much jackassery, my man. Don’t take it personal; I know I couldn’t handle the pressure of beign an opinion leader.)

This debate has outgrown the intelligent exchange of opinions: it now lingers in a ludicrous fanboyism. People are quick to deffend the prouct just because it’s Apple. People are quick to undermine the product just because it’s Apple (I’m talking about the debate as a whole, not particularly here, where it has remained kind and controlled). And to simply shrug it off with a “then don’t buy it” response feels wrong. Regardless of wich side you team with, you can’t deny that Apple is important. It’s one of the top dogs, if not THE top dog in the digital revolution, the most important thing to happen to mankind (lifestyle-wise; technological-wise) since the Industrial Revolution.

I’m loosing my thread, so let me wrap my two cents up: this thing is WAY too politized now –it feels like a debate worth of The Economist. And I’m not overreacting; I’m just making sense of all the comments I’ve read (again: not just on this site. Particularly not on this site). If I sound crazy, It’s just because this conversation is crazy.

PS- English is not my native language. Sorry for inconcistencies in my redaction.

71. Nikki January 28, 2010 at 8:29 PM

like everything apple, everyone will have one in 6 months even if they are hating on it now, it looks super dope….and like everything in this world it will become a status symbol.

72. tom January 28, 2010 at 9:31 PM

The iPad is what it is. It fills a market void that is aimed to users for email, internet etc. while remaining secure and easy to use. It is nothing beyond that. I understand the fear of its closed os but ultimately I do no believe that it will make a general impact on computing. Those who choose to use this device are probably ones who would not own a computer anyway and do not know the difference between “closed” and “open”. Until we see apple apply this sort of thinking to any of there actual computers i think no actual worry is in order. The ipad has done a good job in creatin a new demographic mutually exclusive from a regular computer.

That being said, to state that the ipad is “the most technologically advanced personal computer in the world” is absolutely ridiculous. Bobby, maybe you should think out what you write and present your ideas in a less childish manor calling people “jackasses”. Your fanboy write up is a completely uninformed rant that will only rile up those against the ipad.

ps. have had a mac for 7 years

73. BobbyBobby January 28, 2010 at 9:53 PM

@Tom – I really liked your comment until you started to attack me and became one of those jackasses. Could you fill me in on another device that has a full touch screen, a custom built OS and a book, app and music store all in one?

Your talk about open and closed, normal people don’t care about those things. The average person who walks into a computer store has no idea what that means, only computer geeks care about that stuff.

As for being uninformed you couldn’t be more wrong. I’ve owned Macs for going on 11 years now, I read tech blogs all day long and could hold my own against any computer nerd out there. Not sure where you got that uninformed part, but it’s cute.

And I will continue to rant you see, cuz’ this is my blog, and I enjoy it.

74. Andy January 28, 2010 at 10:02 PM

“Could you fill me in on another device that has a full touch screen, a custom built OS and a book, app and music store all in one?”

um, the iPhone

75. Andy January 28, 2010 at 10:04 PM

PS do you gauge how technologically advanced a device is based on the number of book apps it has? I’m going to build a device with the processing power of like, 10 book apps!

76. BobbyBobby January 28, 2010 at 10:05 PM

@Andy – Haha, well sort of, but the iPhone doesn’t have the iBooks store or the new A4 chip, and from what I read it’s some next level shit. Plus it’s an Apple product.

Book apps, or more importantly stores, are not a barometer, but no other device has all three stores available. That’s a huge deal.

77. tom January 28, 2010 at 10:19 PM

@Bobby-I felt like I acknowledge the accolades that the ipad possesses as well as what the Ipad isn’t. I agree with you that the average user does not know what “open” or “closed” is and for that reason believe its closed operating system is a moot point, as I stated. It is when people begin to hail this as some sort of revolutionary piece of technology that i believe they begin to falter. The iPad is a very cool consumer device filling the needs of a large market. It is not however something that will transform the future of computing, a closed operating system ensures that it will remain a consumer object preventing any evolution beyond apples sanction.

then again, you DO read tech blogs ALL DAY, and i am simply a jackass

78. BobbyBobby January 28, 2010 at 10:30 PM

@Tom – Sorry for the jackass remark, I’m just sick of being told I don’t know what I’m talking about. What exactly would you do with it if it was on an open OS? And how would that usher in an evolution in computing?

If something like open operating systems was crucial and groundbreaking wouldn’t it be popular in the mainstream? I think Apple is quite smart, as I’m sure you’d agree, and if having open systems was such a great idea wouldn’t they do it?

My boyfriends little brother is a huge computer geek, and he hacks his computers and partitions them and installs the boot rams, all that stuff, haha… but I feel like that’s a niche, not something that the majority enjoys, you know?

79. Andy January 28, 2010 at 10:49 PM

Yes, Apple is smart, and they know that having an open OS would just bring on competition and not give them 100% market share of the software used on their machines. This is why apple didn’t want google voice or google latitude on the iPhone. Competing apps? Apple will just ban them. Ah, a closed OS is great, isn’t it!

Apple owes part of the success of OS X due to the fact that it is partially open source, so it’s too bad they are creating an extremely unfriendly environment with the iPhone and iPad.

80. tom January 28, 2010 at 10:50 PM

@Bobby-You are right, mainstream does not need an open operating system because the majority of computer users simply want something that is easy to use and fulfills their needs. However the majority of mainstream users are not going to be the ones using computers for crucial or groundbreaking purposes. The iPad fills a consumer void and presents the same technological breakthroughs as the PS3. Yes, it is a marvel of technology, cool and sleek, but it will not contribute anything to society other then entertainment (which i think is fine). A computer on the other hand may be used as a tool to create programs, art, etc. I think where your article (and many others) presents a problem with me is the grouping of the iPad and computers into the same entity.

81. BobbyBobby January 28, 2010 at 11:04 PM

@Andy – Apple isn’t stopping anyone from making a better Macbook Air/iPhone/iPad/mouse or anything else. Hell, I wish someone would step up their game and really compete with Apple, it would make innovations accelerate.

I think that’s an even bigger point then what we’ve been talking about. Apple is not only innovating faster than anyone else, but they’re publicity and branding is beyond everyone else’s as well.

They’re also the only company that does it all themselves. There’s nothing stopping HP from making their own OS, or Microsoft from developing their own hardware, I mean look what they did with the XBox? They kicked Sony in the face with it.

You should also think of all the doors they’ve opened for people to create apps. How many people are now doing extremely well for themselves because they wrote a silly little app? Look at the guy who created Tweetie, that guy is now doing pretty damn well for himself because of Apple. I would say that’s pretty dang friendly. And of course it benefits Apple, that’s business.

82. Andy January 29, 2010 at 1:26 AM

People have always created applications, only now you have to conform to the apple store if you want to distribute it. Look at the dropular iphone app, what a fucking bureaucratic process.

Yes apple is good at what they do, unfortunately they clearly don’t have have the same motto as google – “Don’t be evil”

83. BobbyBobby January 29, 2010 at 1:28 AM

@Andy – Now you’re just being melodramatic, haha…

84. Dave January 29, 2010 at 2:00 AM

Let me first state that I`m not a big tech guy so please correct me where I`ve maybe mislead myself. I have never owned an Apple product, not a macbook, not an iPhone and not even an iPod (dell, blackberry and a 8GB toshiba mp3 player I`ve had for 5 years now) but I was looking forward to this announcement. I too, however, was disappointed with the iPad and it`s because of one of the annoying reasons that you stated; it doesn`t have _______…

But I`m not hating on Apple, I was just looking for something that would hit my personal sweet spot.

I`m in need of a new laptop but don`t need a lot of the features the laptop has. I just need to be able to browse the web, do some writing and make presentations as well as watch movies and view pictures. So obviously something that can do those things at a high-level and for a relatively cheap price (I can handle for $500 for that) is going to be something I`m be intrigued by.

But I won`t have a laptop where I can do some of the work to get things over to the iPad, like my CDs and DVDs. And I need to be able to put things over to my Blackberry using Blackberry desktop manager. And that is my only problem.

Apple is expecting me to have a laptop as well whereas I was hoping to use the iPad alone.

Maybe I`m just being stubborn. I could probably find a cheap laptop to do some of the beginning grunt work I need, hey? Afterwards I`d be willing to just buy my music on itunes instead of CDs. The only permanent problem would be with my blackberry. Maybe that can be solved too? Look! I`m talking myself into it!

85. BobbyBobby January 29, 2010 at 3:47 AM

@Dave – I think you made one of the most common sense posts so far. Thanks for being totally logical.

With an iPad you’d definitely need another computer for sure, it’s a lot like an iPhone in that respect. You’d have to sync the iPad to the main computer through iTunes, be it a laptop or a desktop. If all of your music was in iTunes on that main computer though you could transfer it to the iPad, no problem.

As for your movies there are applications like Handbrake which allow you to make digital copies of your movies, which you could also put on your iPad.

The Blackberry would have to sync to the main computer for sure, I’m 99% sure that you couldn’t sync it onto the iPad.

86. Nathan January 29, 2010 at 12:59 PM

My 63 year-old mother thinks it’s great, since the icons are so spaced out and easier for her to touch and see. That may be true, but I think the visual design of the home screen is atrocious.

One thing I pride myself on with my Macs is the ability to keep the desktop clean. There are hardly ever more than a half-dozen icons on the screen, and they’re always concentrated over on the right.

With just the iPhone OS 3.2 onboard, the iPad is reminding me of the myriad tablets shown at CES this year running stock Android 2.0:

Sure, I’m sure it works. But it looks weird. User interfaces that were meant for 3 or 4 inch screens just don’t translate well above 7 inches. If Apple can just allow more icons into the dock, that would be a good start. As it is, though, the UI needs work. While the app ecosystem and closed OS will migrate just fine from the iPhone (and to economic success, no doubt), Apple needs to put some more work into the software’s visual appeal.

Maybe I’m being unfair, but I expect more, visually, out of Apple. When Android looks clunky, Google can get away with saying they’re coders, not designers. But Apple has no excuse. Even its packaging is a work of art.

Like many, I expect the iPhone OS 4 to solve most of these problems. At least, I hope it will.

PS– Bobby, considering the lack of Flash, would that restrain your ability to update your blog on the go? So many of the videos you share are Flash-based, and though HTML5 is coming, it’s still far far off.

87. Alphonse January 29, 2010 at 2:50 PM

@ Dave

Theoretically this thing can stand on its own, but that means users actually have to pay for their media, which isn’t going to happen. The current generation doesn’t even realize piracy is wrong. If you can find it online, its yours.

88. Ricky Salsberry January 30, 2010 at 11:14 PM

I find it comical when someone’s argument states that nobody “needs” this. Of course nobody “needs” this — but that’s not the point. This is a luxury item. It’s about “want”.

Nobody “needs” an iPhone. Nobody “needs” a MacbookPro. For the record, this is a designer and iPhone first-adopter saying this. I wanted all of those things. So I bought them.

Apple makes high-end luxury technology. It’s what they do. This makes sense in that context.

I may end up with an iPad, because my first-gen iPhone is now 31 months old (and still going strong) and I have the opportunity to jump on a Verizon family-plan with a normal phone. A maxed out iPad and standard Verizon phone will be much cheaper than the 2-year ownership of a new iPhone… and I’ll still get the pleasure of the iPhone experience, on steroids.

No, this isn’t for everybody. But it does have a market, and as people look to replace their current tech setups in the coming months/years, this will play a role for some people. Instead of that $2500 MacbookPro? How about an iMac and iPad?

89. Adam January 31, 2010 at 1:50 PM

Personally, I’m torn on whether or not I want one. I definitely don’t need one as I own both an iPhone and a MacBook. I love the iBooks feature, but to be honest, I don’t read as much as I should. And if I’m on the go, I’ll use the Kindle app to read a book on my iPhone (and I’m sure eventually Apple will implement iBooks on the iPhone – 4.0 maybe?) Anyway, I definitely would not mind watching a movie on a plane with the iPad, or browsing the web on it while sitting at a Starbucks, or showing people pictures I’ve taken, but what I’m curious about is the typing/gaming aspect of it.

Typing-wise, I can see entering a few words when looking something up on the Safari browser, or even typing up an email, but lets say you’re on a plane and you want to type up something in iWork. How exactly do you do that? Do you put the iPad on your lap and look down as you tap each letter, typing like a regular keyboard? Or do you prop it up and touch each letter? I realize there’s an optional keyboard stand, but once you have that, then isn’t it essentially a laptop? Hell, it actually then becomes a 2-piece laptop instead of a 2-piece laptop with a hinge. How pissed would you be if you left the keyboard on a plane?

As for gaming, I can see games like Scrabble and FlightControl being awesome. I’m more into casual gaming anyway. But is it really ideal for involved games like those shooters? The iPhone works so well because you can easily grasp the unit and maneuver your fingers around. But it just seems like doing the same thing on a device twice as wide could make things a bit harder to use. And lets say you’re holding the iPad like a steering wheel flailing your arms around while you “drive”. Isn’t there a much better chance that a larger iPad will fly out of your hands over a firmly grasped iPhone? I could totally be wrong on that, but it just seems like it’ll be a bit awkward for that kind of thing.

Any word on the screen and glass? I take care of my purchases and have never had my screen crack on my iPhone, but I know plenty of people who had dropped and cracked their screens, and has to either find some 3rd party to fix it or buy a new iPhone from Apple. I’m anxious to see how Apple will go about insuring/fixing these, but I guess time will tell.

Design-wise, it’s Apple and Ive at their best. Sure a camera would’ve been great off the bat, but you know it’ll come eventually. It’s speedy and looks pretty.

Like some of the other commenters, I was also a bit disappointed when they revealed the iPad. Not because of what it does (or what it doesn’t), but it just seems when Apple debuts something “MAGICAL” (Steve’s repeated word) I immediately need, want and salivate over it. But this magical device didn’t do that for me. I still think it’ll be another hit from Apple eventually. I just think the initial positioning of the iPad and its magical qualities was a bit off.

I stood in line for every iPhone so far and have yet to be disappointed. But right now I don’t think I’ll be standing in line for an iPad. Will I get one? Maybe. Do I need one? Not really. Between my MacBook and iPhone, I’m pretty much covered.

But I’ll wait until I have one in my hands to really make that call.

90. Pingback: iPad LinkUp! « A Fine Dram