‘Garuda’

Garuda is a simple but beautiful film about a young Indian boy who chases his dream. The visuals in the film are totally stunning, filled with all kinds of wonderful colors and textures. There seems to be bits of paper, pastels, watercolors and all sorts of things I can’t identify. You know name, it they probably used it.

The short was created by Nicolas Athane, Meryl Franck, Alexis Liddell, Andres Salaff, Maïlys Vallade, who were all students at Gobelins. My only complaint is that it’s too short, I’d love to see an entire film done in animation style like this. If only animation studios would start to turn in a direction like this.

10 Comments ‘Garuda’

1. Laura January 26, 2010 at 10:58 AM

Simply wonderful! Thanks so much for sharing.

2. Jake January 26, 2010 at 11:16 AM

Very poetic. Love the texture throughout the piece. I can only imagine how long this took to produce, as short as it is.

3. Siong Chin January 26, 2010 at 12:42 PM

‘Garuda’ is actually a large mythical bird-like creature pervasive in countless Southeast Asian folklores, and especially in classical texts. If i am not mistaken, it originates from Hinduism and Buddhism.

4. kazaril January 26, 2010 at 12:43 PM

it looks… so easy;

they’re no emotions, but although the play is too damn short, it’s also easy to capture the idea.

bravo!

5. Pingback: blitblit - game art scene life

6. Pingback: mer de noms

7. marie January 27, 2010 at 6:01 AM

I have never commented here, but I take the occasion to thank for all the nice discoveries I make here…

I can tell why the movie is that short: it’s used as the opening of movie theater shows during the international animated film festival of annecy, france (annecy.org).
    this festival lasts one week, and every year the openings are created by students of gobelins, one group/short for each day of the week.

8. Colin January 28, 2010 at 7:24 AM

Marie – Wow that sounds brilliant . What a way to showcase upcoming talent. I’d love to see all the openings by the students.

9. Adam January 28, 2010 at 11:26 AM

Every year, the Annecy shorts out of Goeblins produces some great work. And don’t be fooled, it took those 5 students (and probably more) serious effort to create a short of such high quality.

I don’t know if major studios will ever take chances on creative ideas like this. Seems easier to regurgitate the same dreamworks formula year after year.