Hands On With Joey Roth’s Ceramic Speakers

Back in September I wrote a little post about Joey Roth and the beautiful Ceramic Speakers he created. I thought they were extremely well done but at $500 they’re not exactly in the black foxes budget, nor probably would ever be. Well this is one of those crazy times where I was actually sent the crazy ass thing I wrote about. And so I don’t get sued by whoever, I didn’t write about the speakers in order to get a pair, I never thought I was going to get them and I giggled for 4 hours yesterday when they showed up on my doorstep. Clearly this was not part of a grand master scheme.

Yes, I guess this is kind of a bragging post, but I’m so excited to share these that it can’t be helped. The first thing I’d say about the speakers is that they’re huge, way bigger than the site makes them seem. I thought they would fit in my hands, but you definitely both hands to get these guys together. The materials feel wonderful, especially the ceramic speakers which are totally flawless.

As for the sound, I’ve been listening to all kinds of music and they’re amazingly crisp and clear. I’ve been listening to old favorites and hearing sounds in songs that I’ve never ever heard before, I was totally shocked. And that’s the really important thing, right? I mean yeah, they’re gorgeous, but the fact that you’re getting such amazing sound out of them is the best part.

If I had a spare $500 to drop on a new pair of speakers, I would buy these in heartbeat. These are definitely not for the average Joe Schmoe, but if you’re someone with discerning taste in the areas of design and sound quality, these are the way to go. Plus you’ll be helping out an independent designer who’s trying to make a living, which I definitely think is worth something.

Thanks again Joey for sending me these, I’m still giggling over them, they’re the best late X-Mas present a boy could ever ask for.

15 Comments Hands On With Joey Roth’s Ceramic Speakers

1. Yftach January 8, 2010 at 3:27 AM

Looks really great!

2. Philip January 8, 2010 at 3:30 AM

That is awesome news! I’m really jealous. Maybe it’s time I posted about Joe’s stuff over on my blog, eh? Joking aside, they’re really beautiful – what a gentleman for sending them on to you – you’re a lucky man Bobby!

3. Benjamin January 8, 2010 at 5:24 AM

What a nice gesture of Joey, to send you the speakers. They are so beautifully crafted, that one could suspect that the performance lack some quality – like a reverse “form-follows-function”. But sounds like the quality is just as good as the design itself after all. I am anxiously awaiting the announcement from the NOTCOT give-away from back in December – where they put a set of these speakers on the line. One had to leave a comment – sharing your favorite song, which you would like to hear playing out of them … I hope the folks at NOTCOT enjoy the danish band Turboweekend and their brilliant song “Trouble is” just as much as I do…

4. richiee January 8, 2010 at 6:15 AM

Giggity giggily ;) Nice!

5. Robert January 8, 2010 at 8:55 AM

Wow… Im so jealous. I drooled over these the fist time I saw them awhile back. Nice score!

6. Jonathan Moore January 8, 2010 at 9:57 AM

Nice work! When you start getting flooded with far too many well designed things I’ll send you my address.

7. Marco January 8, 2010 at 3:47 PM

Dude, you are worth it IMO.

8. chipotle January 8, 2010 at 7:11 PM

I don’t know about the speakers, but I totally love the ceramic lamp, I want one of those, where did you buy it??

9. BobbyBobby January 9, 2010 at 12:19 AM

@Jonathan – You got it, you’re first on my list!

@Chipotle – It’s from this really fancy place called IKEA, haha…

10. pedro freenandes January 9, 2010 at 3:01 AM

Hum… it wouldn’t fit my taste, and i hate to wipe the dust off my desk. But they sure look like capable of detailed and powerful sounds – that is worthy!

11. Paul Anthony Webb January 9, 2010 at 10:13 AM

Your endorsement is enough for me to actually really want these now. I’ve been looking for reviews and it’s only when I stopped that you give me one.

Sweet. I’m more than a smidge jealous [omfg I want a pair!] but I’m glad you’re enjoying them.

12. chipotle January 9, 2010 at 5:07 PM

@Bobby: thanks for the heads up, I’m gonna check it out at IKEA Mexico if there’s a couple of those for my studio, they kinda fit on the hole theme though, specially the prices :P

13. saer January 10, 2010 at 12:06 PM

you ‘giggled for 4 hours’! That absolutely made my Sunday!

@Benjamin – just checked out Turboweekend…wow good band.

14. Wolfgang January 19, 2010 at 9:52 PM

Hey I know this post is from a while back but I have a question for you! I know that the speakers are powered but I was wondering if in your opinion they were lacking in the bass range when compared to a system with a subwoofer? Also do they give off any of that faint electronic buzz speakers hooked to computers so often have? I know that can also be a function of your soundboard/shielding/cables etc. but I was just wondering. I don’t really know much about speakers but these are so so so beautiful and I’d love to get me a pair!

15. Ethan September 19, 2010 at 8:43 PM

Is there anywhere I can hear these first? I really really want to buy them but am slightly apprehensive. I think they are beautiful and the majority of reviews are great, but I really want to hear them first. Is there anywhere in minnesota with them, I’m near the twin cities.