Kitsune Noir Mixcast / No.018

This week’s Mixcast is a collection of my favorite songs from 2009. You’ll have seen a lot of these songs on other Mixtapes and Mixcasts but I wanted to make a definitive list, the creme of the crop, list of songs. It was kind of hard to narrow them down but I feel like this is a pretty good spread of songs I loved.

The Mixcast is also over an hour long, I decided to mix together a huge chunk of songs in the middle, so you’ll get about 50 minutes of continuous music. I hope you enjoy it and let me know if you think I missed anything, though I’m telling you right now I didn’t, haha…

Here’s this week’s tracklist:
While You Wait For The Others by Grizzly Bear
Little Shadow by Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Epilogue by The Antlers
Shangri-La by M. Ward

42 Comments Kitsune Noir Mixcast / No.018

1. Fieldwork December 11, 2009 at 4:09 AM

Can’t wait to listen to this!
    Although I think you may have left out Lisztomania by Phoenix?
    – Philip

2. Martin December 11, 2009 at 6:08 AM

Bobby, I think you missed to include “At Last” by The Do. Beautiful song. But the list is excelent! Very thanks!

3. chiara December 11, 2009 at 6:17 AM

great picks! I was especially happy re: Epilogue by The Antlers. why doesn’t people notice it more? it is a gem. xo

4. João Moreno December 11, 2009 at 7:08 AM

This mixcast is fantastic. Great choices!

5. Chris Leeuw December 11, 2009 at 7:41 AM

I dig it a lot. And the ordering is spot on. I would have only added one song: Sleepyhead by Passion Pit.

6. MUTANTE December 11, 2009 at 7:46 AM

hi, good music indeed, BUT, the second song, by MF DOOM (according to you) is actually by DOOM, he changed his name this year. i know its a small error but i guess you need to nkow about it.

good night good fight

7. Chris Leeuw December 11, 2009 at 8:35 AM

Oh, and maybe something by The XX. “Stars”, I would think.

8. Brian Miller December 11, 2009 at 8:35 AM

Shangri-La takes me to sleep on a regular basis. Solid mix.

9. Will December 11, 2009 at 8:46 AM

You should totally check out The Royal Bangs and Cymbals Eat Guitars .. Two of my favorites from this year.

10. Harold & Zooey December 11, 2009 at 10:39 AM

Genius compilation, sans Little Shadow! Well done!

11. BobbyBobby December 11, 2009 at 11:27 AM

@Fieldwork – Yeah, I should have put some Phoenix, but I would have gone with Girlfriend.

@A Generous Designer – I’d have to pay for SoundCloud and that would be pretty expensive. My Mediafire account has already served 5.44 terabytes of music, all for free, so I’m definitely sticking with them.

@Mutante – Wasn’t a mistake, I’ll always call him MF Doom.

@ Harold & Zooey – You don’t like that strings version of Little Shadow? Man I think it’s so pretty.

12. Sam December 11, 2009 at 11:50 AM

Brilliant mix Bobby. Thanks for all your mixes over the year as well always look forward to Fridays.

Other random personal favourites this year – Dark Mean (Happy Banjo), Sea of Bees (Willis), Radical Face (Wrapped in Piano Strings), Freelance Whales (Generator first floor), Local Natives (Airplanes).

Home the best though.

13. Harold & Zooey December 11, 2009 at 12:27 PM

I just cant seem to wrap my mind around liking the Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs.

Also, I wouldn’t change your list a bit. But if I was making my list, it’d have to include:

Girls: Hellohole Ratrace or Big Bad Mean Motherfucker or Lust for Life
    Grizzly Bear: Two Weeks
    Animal Collective: What Would I Want? Sky
    Real Estate: Beach Comber
    Why There Are Mountains: Indiana
    Cass McCombs: Dreams Come True Girl
    Bibio: Ambivalence Avenue
    Yacht: Psychic City
    Wavves: No Hope Kids

… haha, I think I just made my list.

14. Kyle December 11, 2009 at 12:48 PM

I don’t know if I like how you mixed it all into one file…anyways, good music.

15. Kyle December 11, 2009 at 12:54 PM

Just submitted this to Digg.

16. BobbyBobby December 11, 2009 at 12:54 PM

@Kyle – That’s how all of my mixes are and always will be. They’re supposed to be enjoyed like a mixtape.

17. jessica December 11, 2009 at 2:54 PM

It’s great, but you could’ve included more up and coming bands rather than things everyone’s burned out on (Animal Collective).

18. BobbyBobby December 11, 2009 at 3:01 PM

@Jessica – Why? They didn’t make my favorite songs. I didn’t choose these bands because they were “cool,” I chose them because I really like them. You’ll hopefully prefer my favorite albums of 2009 more, coming out Monday.

19. Rebecca December 11, 2009 at 3:59 PM

Love it — some of my favourites, as well.
    P.S. I love the mixtape format — it feels a bit nostalgic. Reminds me of when I was a kid and recorded my favourite songs onto a cassette from the radio… except it’s much more convenient (thanks intarwebz).
    I feel old now.

20. Lilah December 11, 2009 at 6:02 PM

Are people really telling you what your favorite songs are? Wow.

Anyway, great list. It was fun to listen to.

21. Peter December 11, 2009 at 6:12 PM

James <3

22. Tony December 12, 2009 at 3:04 AM

Great collection, love seeing “My Girls” at the top. Also need to mention “Lion in a Coma” and “Daily Routine”! Thanks

23. Annie December 12, 2009 at 4:17 PM

Bobby, where’d you find the strings version of Little Shadow? I love it!

24. Brian Gossett December 12, 2009 at 6:42 PM

That’s funny because “Girlfriend” by Phoenix is on my top songs list of the year. Great compilation regardless. Your taste is always on point.

25. Karen December 12, 2009 at 8:40 PM

This is revolutionary. Provides all the elements a little dance, a little emotion, and pure sensory fun!

26. Abbey December 13, 2009 at 11:44 AM

This blog is on my Mozilla Firefox favorites tab and I check this website at least a couple times a day looking for new mixes. They keep my car rides entertaining, and it helps me to never tread water when listening to music. Thanks for everything!

27. Cotton December 13, 2009 at 5:52 PM

I don’t see any of the Dirty Projectors’ songs on this mix =( aside from that, great mix!

28. Jae December 13, 2009 at 7:57 PM

where was the Final Fantasy track u mentioned?:D

29. BobbyBobby December 13, 2009 at 10:23 PM

@Annie – The strings version comes on the extended edition, look it up on Amazon or Wikipedia.

@Cotton – In my opinion they are the most over-hyped band and I find their songs pretty obnoxious. The only one that was semi-decent is ‘Two Doves’, but it definitely wasn’t near my favorites of the year.

@Jae – Oh, um yeah… it turns out the Final Fantasy track was from 2008 and not 2009, so I had to take it off. Whoops!

30. Cotton December 14, 2009 at 9:23 AM

I forgot to add, Living Things by Peter, Bjorn, and John was a really good album that released this year!

31. Sara December 14, 2009 at 11:35 AM

Good selections there. I have been meaning to listen to more Monsters of Folk.

32. Paris December 14, 2009 at 9:44 PM

This made motivated me to go out and buy three new c.d.’s today! Love it!

33. Pingback: Home – Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros - Goodmorning & Goodnight

34. caleb December 15, 2009 at 7:33 AM

I love year-end best-ofs for the conversations they spark but this isn’t a best-of, and it’s all the more enjoyable for it. I’d rather not see my favorite songs on a mix like this. I already know what my tastes are — it’s more engaging getting a sense of yours.

35. abstractconformity December 16, 2009 at 8:15 AM

I am all about the list, of course there were a few in the middle that just lulled me off. But it was a great set to hit play as the plane darted down the run way and off to Brasil. What about adding track times on your “back cover” art. Sometimes I want to jump to a particular song and have to slide around to reach it.

36. henry December 18, 2009 at 7:04 PM

I agree with abstractconformity, track times would be greatt. Wonderful mix as usual

37. JoeToe December 21, 2009 at 11:54 AM

(mf) doom sampled a galt macdermot song for “that’s that”; the sample is from “princess gika” on the “woman is sweeter” ost. macdermot is really great, doom sampled him a few time.