Border Grill Truck

Yesterday ended up being one of those non-stop days so to regain a little bit of sanity I decided to walk down the street to the Farmers Market at Barnsdall Park where the Border Grill Truck was parked. Los Angeles has a food truck for every type of food you can imagine, but most of the time they don’t come near where I live, there’s really nothing around me that would draw them. So I took this as an opportunity to try some yummy food!

I ended up getting three items. The Yucatan Pork Taco, the Cilantro Chicken Taco and the Carne Asada Quesadilla. My favorite of the three was definitely the Yucatan Pork Taco which has “braised achiote pork, black beans, pickled onion and orange jicama slaw.” It was a crazy mix of flavors and overall was delicious and at the time wished I had 4 more. To wash it down I ordered their Iced Mexican Coffee which has cinnamon, star anise, orange zest and piloncillo syrup. It was also delicious.

My only problem was the price tag. I ended up spending $13 at a taco truck. It’s definitely above and beyond a normal taco truck, but it still stung a little. Nonetheless I’d definitely suggest checking them out.

10 Comments Border Grill Truck

1. Amy Stoddard November 19, 2009 at 7:57 AM

OMG, that photo makes me so hungry. Ever since I moved to Korea from O.C. its impossible to find any good Mexican food. Nice post, Bobby.

2. Chris Leeuw November 19, 2009 at 8:32 AM

Pork tacos are the greatest things to ever happen to my life.

3. brennan November 19, 2009 at 9:55 AM

WOAH. its been decided – im getting chipotle for lunch!

4. Cory November 19, 2009 at 11:58 AM

Isn’t the point of a Taco Truck to serve cheap, authentic food that is generally not so good for you?

Seems like this recent insurgence of gourmet ______ trucks is kind of try-hardy.

5. BobbyBobby November 19, 2009 at 12:15 PM

@Cory – I think the point of a Taco Truck is to make money.

6. kendal croix November 19, 2009 at 4:59 PM

oh my gosh yum!!!

7. chichi November 19, 2009 at 8:08 PM

Ugh….. that taco looks amazing… we have a place like that here in the philippines. It’s called ristras, which have the taco truck concept with the food but they put it inside a four cornered space.

Still awesome tho…

8. Velvet Orchid November 20, 2009 at 11:12 AM

$13 for a meal from Border Grill sounds like a good deal to me! I love their Santa Monica restaurant. Thanks for posting. I’ll have to track down their truck.

9. Adam November 23, 2009 at 12:33 AM

I haven’t tried the Border truck, but I recently had the Flying Pig truck and it was freaking delicious. I had the Pork Belly Bun and the Tamarind Duck taco, plus an order of their crab balls. Paid about $7.50 for everything. All the chefs are Le Cordon Bleu trained so it’s really a bargain. I could’ve done with the balls (meh) but everything else was fantastic. Not sure if they come to your hood (I found them on Ventura near Universal) but worth following. I’ll give Border a try!

10. Erik November 24, 2009 at 12:48 PM

That is making me soooo hungry looking at it. I miss horchatas and really hot (caliente) fish tacos.