‘Never Let Me Go’ by Kazuo Ishiguro

Since I work from home these days I tend to have more time for reading, last night I finished my third book this month. So I thought I’d start sharing what I’m reading as some of you have expressed an interest. The book in question I finished last night was called Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro.

The way I’d describe the book is a drama set in a science fiction. The book is set in a modern day world and follows the lives of a group of children who attended a private school called Hailsham. The book is broken into three pieces; their growing up at Hailsham, their move to The Cottage and then life after both. What’s interesting is that the book is told in the present day, as the main character, Kathy H., tells the story through memories of the place they grew up in.

It’s these bits and pieces of memories that really make the book interesting and Kazuo Ishiguro such a skillful writer. You’re basically fed tiny pieces of information throughout, much like the kids in the book are, and you start to realize that something is different about these kids. More and more of these secrets start to become revealed, revealing a much larger scope to everything.

Writing book reviews is hard. I don’t want to tell you too much and ruin it but I want you to realize that this is a really great book as well. It’s also being turned into a movie which is going to be directed by Mark Romanek, who is an incredible director.

12 Comments ‘Never Let Me Go’ by Kazuo Ishiguro

1. Robert November 12, 2009 at 4:21 PM

I love me a good Jamie Keenan book cover.

2. frebro November 12, 2009 at 4:29 PM

Thanks! This book is on my to read-list already, but your short review really peaked my interest. I’m moving the book to the top of the list now!

3. Deni the Librarian November 12, 2009 at 4:50 PM

A crazy coincidence! I am listening to this on audiobook right now! It’s so good.

4. lauren November 12, 2009 at 5:45 PM

amazing book!! did NOT realize it was being turned into a movie!

5. Justin November 12, 2009 at 11:59 PM

It is a wonderful book. Along the same lines, you should take a look at Borderliners by Peter Hoeg.

6. Bogart November 13, 2009 at 9:45 PM

Thanks, can’t wait to pick it up.

7. powkang November 14, 2009 at 9:14 AM

LOVE mark romanek. this sounds like a great book. i might go pick it up.

8. Peter November 14, 2009 at 9:14 PM

Had the chance to read this in English last year, we were reading about dystopian futures and I had never read 1984 before, so I read that instead.

9. Wolfgang November 17, 2009 at 2:45 AM

This book reminds me of a great day in Shanghai when I got this at my hostel in exchange for a book i had already read and spent a sunny afternoon in a park sitting on a garden swing reading this book.

10. diana November 17, 2009 at 9:16 PM

hi bobby

read this book while traveling, someone else had left it at the hotel i was at in . . . egypt, actually, the only english language thing around.

the way the kids are always competing to get into ‘the gallery’ and getting all neurotic about it always reminds me about the gallery at art center, ha ha.

hope you’re good,
    diana

11. Pingback: KN | Kitsune Noir » ‘American Gods’ by Neil Gaiman

12. jessica December 27, 2009 at 1:17 AM

I couldn’t put this book down, and I still can’t get it off my mind. Looking forward to even more book recommendations.